“Nice, Fresh, Clean, New Rooms, with just a few downsides”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dallas (Galleria Area)
Ranked #61 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Nice, Fresh, Clean, New Rooms, with just a few downsides”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Overall, this was a great hotel. The rooms were beautiful and clean; everything had been recently renovated. The modern decor didn't detract from the overall comfort of the rooms. I would definitely stay here again if business brings me back to the immediate area. The only complaints were that it was difficult to get to, as it was on a one way access road, which required a bit of looping around through a neighborhood. The gym was a bit tight. While it had nice equipment, it didn't really have the extra space I wanted to stretch, or do more body-weight type exercises. The elevators were frustratingly slow and the elevator lobby smelled like the bathroom in it (ok, well like products used to clean it). Like I said, I'm a big fan of a clean, comfortable room, and this definitely has that to offer.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Matt H
Ben H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dallas (Galleria Area), responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear MattH,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express North Dallas at Preston. We realize that with the construction in the area it can be difficult to navigate to and from the hotel as it changes almost daily and GPS's cannot keep up. We like to encourage all of our guests to call us if they are having any trouble getting to the hotel. Because we do drive it everyday, it is sometime easier to just talk to the place. I'm sorry that you felt the gym space was too small and did not give you adequate space to stretch and exercise space. I also apologize for you not being fond of the cleaning products we were using and I'm sorry you felt them to be over powering. We just like to make sure we keep a very clean property, so we are in the lobby and by the elevators quite frequently to attend to them. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

My mother and I booked this hotel for the convenience of its location to my Dr appointment. It is rather difficult to get to no matter the direction you come from.
Upon check in several people were waiting and they couldn't find my reservation because booking.com screwed up so that wasn't their fault. But it did take me forever to get things straightened out and one of the managers finally came out and started helping.
The hotel is beautiful and our beds were so comfy. The bathrooms were a little thrown together by the contractors. We had some issues with our shower but not enough to deter us.
It all went horribly wrong when we woke up at 2 a.m. covered in sweat. After an hour of fiddling with the busted thermostat my mother called down to the front desk and he said he would over ride the system and reset it from there. Still nothing and you can forget relying on the ceiling fans...we thought we were going to be dismembered from it flying off its brackets. I finally had enough around 4 and decided to go to the gym.
After returning to the room and showering up we went to breakfast and the food there was a nice spread of waffles fruit yogurts etc. When we returned to our rooms our room keys didn't work so we had to trek back to the lobby to get them changed. One of them still didn't work but we had to be off to our appointment. I again had them fix the keys and again the opposite key didn't work. We promptly checked out and I informed the girl at the front desk about the a/c and ceiling fan again. She said for me not to worry that they'll get it fixed. Like I care now that I'm checking out? Certainly didn't offer to make it right. My mother wrote in to tell them how we were dismissed and 3 emails later we still have no word. Apparently they didn't get the ac issues fixed either judging by some of the comments.
Thank you holiday inn for not caring.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Staci E
Ben H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dallas (Galleria Area), responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Staci E.,

I would like to have an opportunity to discuss your stay with you in further detail. When you have a moment if you would either call me directly at (972) 404-4500 or email me directly at gm@hiedallas.com I would greatly appreciate it. Ben Hillesheim, General Manager
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We have just left this place and firstly I can confirm the the staff are all very hepfull here ,
parking is good ,is not a bad price for what you get ,breakfast was basic but all you need,
rooms are your normal size no fridge ,a/c that's doesn't cool the room well and must switch off at night so we thought ok there is a ceiling fan lets use that, until we got it running then the freeway noise is blocked out by the scrapping fan ,room cleaner left a glass stain mark on the bench for our entire stay so that says poor standards to not wipe down these benchs every day.
the ice is way at one end and only on the first floor ,there is not one on each floor like nearly everywhere we have stayed at.
There is nothing close by and the traffic is hell up until about 11 pm at night so hope you have a high room at back or you wont be sleeping.
the pool was closed when we got there , a fact checkin staff didn't think would be a problem we where told , well it is a problem and yes I checked your web site after I was checked in had I been told before we would have gone elsewhere,
that said the manger did cut the room rate as a token but really that's information people should be told at check in not after.
this hotel has no bar nor is there within a $15 cab ride so factor the $30-40 you will need spend to go get dinner and have a drink if your staying here.. oh if you need a matress store your fine there one next door .
oh one last think the wake up call doesn't work tried it both days and did a test time ,

Room Tip: ask if the construction is finished if the answer is no go elsewhere if you want to sleep.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ben H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dallas (Galleria Area), responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Freda289,

We are sorry to hear about all the troubles you had while staying at the Holiday Inn Express North Dallas at Preston. We agree that the construction to the road out front is a challenge and it is getting better every day. We are all looking forward to it being completed. Also, I am very sorry that I did not inform you of the pool when checking in, unfortunately it was not at the forefront of my mind as it should have been. I am shocked to hear that you were having trouble with the AC system as it is usually not a factor but obviously it was during your stay and I am sorry to hear that. Although your room did not have a refrigerator or microwave, all of our suites on the property do come equipped with those amenities for the guests. Because we are a Holiday Inn Express we are a limited service property and do not have a restaurant or bar on site. There are however over 300 restaurants and bars within a 5 mile radius of the hotel and some as close as across the street. I’m sorry you were not made aware of these clearly. As this is the second time in the past few days we are hearing about the wake up calls we are getting that looked into right away and will have it corrected. Again, I am sorry you had so many troubles with your stay but we do appreciate you letting us know where we fell short so we can improve on the areas we have control over. We hope to see you again the next time you are in the Dallas area.
Addison, Texas
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

I talked to Quinny over the phone and she checked to see if I could get an early check-in and I did!! As I said in a previous review, I see why Quinny is always mentioned because she goes above and beyond for the guests. Everything I asked her to do, she did it with no hesitation. About 8 people were waiting to check-in in front of me and she checked all of them in in under 10 minutes and even explained the process about breakfast, wifi and the parking passes. I used to be the GM at The Hilton and I know good customer service when I see it. Thanks a lot Quinny! I will make sure your GM knows he or she has a star player on their team!!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Mrs_BarbaraCox,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express North Dallas at Preston. We will make sure Quinny knows how much you appreciated her service and we all agree with you that she is great with the guests. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in town.
Abilene, Texas USA
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed here on Tuesday May 27th. We had stayed here before and enjoyed pool and hot tub. We were really looking forward to sitting in hot tub but found out they had cemented it over. Besides the fact if you miss the entrance it is several miles back around to try entrance again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Richard L
Dear Richard L,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express North Dallas at Preston. We certainly sypathize with you that due to the road construction it is a chore to get back to the hotel if you happen to miss the entrance. The next time you are headed this way we would love to be able to assist you in finding the easiest way as we drive in the construction daily and see the changes. I also apologize for the lack of the hot tub. We had far too many construction issues with it that forced us to seal it off. I agree it is a loss to the overall property. We hope you will give us a call the next time you are coming to the Dallas area. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiece with us.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Just returned from a business trip to Dallas, TX and stayed at the HI. Didn't like the location at all and they are doing a lot of construction in the area, and I mean A LOT. There is not much around except a Walgreens and a Mattress Store. The hotel sits just off the freeway which makes it difficult to get to if you are on the other side of the freeway. Staff was nice. I received early so they let me do an early check-in however, the only rooms they had available was on the second floor. I prefer to stay on the higher floors. Since I was tired, I went ahead and took the room. However, when I got to the room, it was right over the lower roof area and not a pleasant view at all. I called the front desk and told them I wanted to change and would wait for a room on the higher floors. The attendant was very nice and told me he would have housekeeping clean a room right now and I could stay in the room I was in until the room on the higher floor was available. I am a "clean freak" so I examine the sheets, matress cover, etc. when I stay in hotels. I noticed on the matress cover that there was a lot of hair and it just didn't appear to be clean. I saw one of the ladies in housekeeping and told her I needed a clean mattress cover and sheets. She came in my room and saw the mattress cover and said she would get me a clean mattress cover and sheets which she brought an hour later. I stayed there for four nights and the first night I requested a wake up call using the phone and didn't receive a wake up call. I mentioned it to the front desk and they told me just to dial zero and call for the wake up call. I did that the second night and received a wake up call however, I called the front desk the third and fourth night and didn't receive a wake up call even after I called. Thank God I also set the alarm on my phone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Traveler381381,

We were certainly sorry to see how your stay went at the Holiday Inn Express North Dallas at Preston. I am very sorry that you had that many issues with your stay. I am glad we were able to get you to a higher floor though. We are also investigating the problem with the wake up calls and assure you we will get it correct as soon as we can. I am also very sorry that the mattress cover and sheets had hair on them. This is not a typical problem at the property and although we do have some new staff members this is something that is never acceptable. I'm shocked to hear how long it took to get you new linens and I will certainly bring it to my Executive Housekeepers attention. Thank you for taking the time to let us know where we fell short with your stay and would appreciate you giving us another chance to earn your business the next time you are in town. Without people like you letting us know how we are doing it is very difficult for us to improve. We look forward to seeing you again when you are in Dallas.
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Reading the reviews, I can see why Quinny gets mentioned alot. This poor girl is a blessing to all hotels. She had so many people lined up to be checked in, the phone was ringing back and forth. I'm saying this to say, she handled everything WELL!! If it was me behind that desk, I would have totally went CRAZY! She got everyone checked in within about 10 minutes and there was 8 people waiting. She explained the wifi passcode and told us about the parking permit and breakfast. I had a slight problem with my room with the TV and she even guided me through it to help make it work. Other than that the rooms were awesome and Quinny was a big help. Why isn't this girl managing yet? She's extremely nice and professional and she doesn't fold under pressure. Thank you Quinny! I hope when I come back later this month that you're there to help!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Ashley C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your expierence at the Holiday Inn Express North Dallas at Preston. It was great to hear you had such a wonderful experience with Quinny. She is a huge asset to the family at the Holiday Inn Express. Thank you again for the kind words, we look forward to seeing you later this month.