“Enjoyable place to stay in Dallas”

Aloft Dallas Downtown
Ranked #66 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
Tx
“Enjoyable place to stay in Dallas”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I always look for small hotels in large cities to get a better idea of the neighborhood. The Aloft did not disappoint. It is an old rail station and they did an excellent job of converting it into a boutique hotel. Lots of features we have come to expect in Alofts we have stayed at but being built into a historic building was great. Most of the exterior and floors are the original. Our room had a little window which was fine but the exterior walls gave the feel of being in a converted loft. Parking was easy for a downtown location. We hit the jackpot at Aloft in Dallas.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nvrdullTX

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Houston
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Pros: If you are working downtown, the location can't be beat. The gym is nicely equipped, the rooms are huge, the ceilings are high, it is in a very cool restored building (the former Santa Fe Railroad Depot), the rooms are bright with big windows. This is a great hotel for the price- the value is incomparable downtown. The shower head is great and it is so nice to have a fridge in the room!
Cons: On one side of the building it takes a while to get hot water (about 10 minutes of letting it run), the rooms are a little worn from age (frayed carpet, slight mildew in some). The wi-fi is better in some rooms than others (hard to get a signal in some rooms).

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for an upgraded room (savvy suite)- it is worth it! The ones in the corners (wi...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank RyanL99
scooteryates, General Manager at Aloft Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear RyanL99,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a great review for our hotel. Our retro-fit of the Historic Sante Fe Railroad Building, has been very well received by numerous travelers who seek a property that is truly unique. I apologize for the challenges with the internet. Being a historic building presents challenges in this area. FYI we are in process of acquiring a new wireless internet system for the entire building, which should eliminate these frustrations in the future. Thanks again!
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 25 April 2012

If you are wanting to stay at a trendy, modern, upscale hotel but not pay the price-this is the perfect hotel! Being W Hotel's "little brother", you receive great customer service just as you would at the more expensive hotels.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Morgan M
scooteryates, General Manager at Aloft Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Hey Morgan,

Thanks so much for taking time to post such a great review on our hotel. Always glad to hear that our wonderful talent provided you with the service you expect and deserve. Thanks again and we look forward with anticipation to having you as our guest again in the future!!
Lawrenceville, GA
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed at the Aloft in Dallas because I needed to be downtown and it was an SPG hotel. The rooms were nice as the high ceilings definitely provided a different feeling from a standard hotel room. The lounge area in the lobby had a pool table and plenty of seating. The "pantry" in the lobby provided a place to buy small food and drink items in case you did not want the full restaurant experience or just needed something quick.

Unfortunately, a large group of young people showed up after my first night for some kind of film event. The hotel was crawling with young people with camera and lighting equipment. I was ok with that but things got noisy and crowded at night. The lounge was unusable after there arrival. I even got a flier under my door reminding me of quiet times and minimum ages to roam free. I felt like I had landed at a Spring Break hotel.

Parking was in the adjoining parking lot. My only complaint here is that you park, check in, then have to go back to your car to put the tag on the mirror. It wouldn't have been a big deal if it were not raining and 1 AM after flight delays.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
scooteryates, Manager at Aloft Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear OneTravelerHere,

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments about your stay at our Aloft Dallas Downtown Hotel. Glad to hear that the accomodations and amenities met your expectations. On the particular weekend you stayed with us we were one of the host hotels for the National Volleyball Championships that took place at the convention center next door. Yes we had many young ladies, all with high aspirations of capturing the crown of champion. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope when future travel brings you back to Dallas we see you again.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I wanted to thank you for a terrific stay at Aloft Dallas. I had a superb time from check in at the Aloha desk with Reagan who greeted me warmly and was up on the happenings for the weekend in the Big D. Thomas also at the Aloha desk was most helpful with the jack hookups and friendly. I had a wonderful room with view of the bronze longhorns and appreciated the design from the rocking retro chairs and plexiglass faux tree trunk coffee table to the sumptuous bed, Bliss toiletries, and efficient use of space. I also loved the jack set up and connection to the TV which was so unique as I have been to many 5 star hotels that don’t have the feature.

Splash was refreshing and Refuel was an oasis. I would like to especially thank Gil who was a most cheerful and accommodating individual who knows how to anticipate needs. There was a turkey club sandwich that I wanted but it had bacon. He prepared a fresh sandwich for me without bacon and was able to substitute a small salad instead of potato chips thanks to Jesse at the Aloha desk who was so gracious and hospitable. I returned to my room thinking I should have told Gil to heat up the sandwich since there was cheddar cheese and the melted cheese would be so tasty. When I took the sandwich out of the wrapping foil it was heated. I went back to thank Gil and bought a grain bar which he freshly prepared as well and it was piping hot. Gil’s attentiveness and taking time for the little things that make me happy was just dandy!

I finished my stay and checked out with Thomas. Again a fitting end to great weekend. I enjoyed my time immensely and look forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: if possible request a room facing the bronze sculptures and waterfall. They are the suites but it ma...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Dear Dean B,

WOW and thanks so much for the great comments!! Our staff works hard to deliver our guest expectations and they will be thrilled to read your review. Special thanks for mentioning Thomas, Gil, and Jesse. They are truly superstars and we are very fortunate to have them on our team. Should future travel plans bring you back to Dallas we stand ready to be of service again.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I couldn't even get a reservation at this hotel because they force customers to book a mandatory three-night stay. They had rooms available, but only if you were willing to stay Friday-Monday nights. Staying Friday-Sunday was evidently completely unacceptable to them. Totally not practical. And then they disconnected me when I attempted to lodge a complaint. Great service, not....

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed 4 April 2012

My fiance and I have stayed at this property about 8 times in the last year. The staff is always curtious and welcome to help with any request no matter how big or small (within reason). The XYZ bar is fun at night after getting in from a concert or dinner etc. Eat at Charlie Palmer in the JOULE, a bit $$$$ but WELL worth it. Aloft is great, you wont be dissapointed.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple