“Fun but oh my WIFI”

Aloft Dallas Downtown
Ranked #67 of 212 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here on few occasions I visit Dallas for business. I normally stay at the Omni next door but do like the Aloft. Hotel is fun, affordable, rooms are large and staff is friendly

However and this hasn't changed for the past 2 plus years I come here the WIFI is the worst possible you can imagine. Multiple confusing SSID's in the first place, it works off and on and if it works it is the slowest experience you will ever come across. I am serious when I say airplanes have a faster connection these days.

If staying for fun it's great if for business don't

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Arne R,
We appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and taking the time to share you experience with us. We are very glad to hear that you like our hotel, guest rooms, and friendly staff; however, we are sorry for the inconvenience you experienced with our WiFi. We understand how frustrating a slow connection can be, especially for business travelers, and we will address this with the hope to better guest experience. Thank you for sharing this feedback with us, and we look forward to hosting you again in the future. All the best.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We recently stayed here because my daughter was attending the Mary Kay seminar. The only thing it had going for it was the fact that it was right across from the Convention Center. #1 The price we paid per night was about $30 ($186 vs. $150)higher than what we had been quoted. We were told it was cheaper than the Omni DCC, but, I know for a fact that the Omni was only $159 per night. #2 There were ice buckets in the room, but, no ice machine in the building. #3 The Wi-Fi would only work during the day when almost everyone was out of the building. #4 You had to be Incredible Hulk to open and close the curtains and if you didn't have them open, you felt like you were in a dark cave. #5 The beds were only full size and the mattress felt like you were staying at summer camp in a cabin. The bedding consisted of 2 white sheets with a thin duvet in between. I definitely would not stay here again. Comfort Suites at $90 a night was a much better experience AND you get free breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Mss1964,
We are very sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with your experience at our hotel. While we are very glad you enjoyed our convenient location to the Convention Center, we are sorry for the inconveniences you experienced with our amenities and services. Rest assured, we have addressed your comments with our team and properly handled in hopes to better guest experience. Thank you for your review, and we hope you enjoyed your time in Dallas for the Mary Kay seminar. All the best.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Coolest hotel I've ever stayed in. Hands down. I recently stayed here for a work offsite meeting and I'm glad we picked this hotel because being a local resident I would not have had the chance to stay here otherwise. This property is built within a 1925 building that housed Santa Fe railroad office and a Haggar clothing company over the years. They've kept the high ceilings, industrial look, windows and columns and built the rooms within the original architecture. The hotel is 5 years old and has a wonderful modern feel with the furniture and appointments.

I stayed in a suite that opened into an office area, then went through a super bath area with a great shower, then flowed into the bed area and finally into a living area with the window overlooking a park and waterfall across the street on the Young street side. The 42-inch TV was on a swivel that rotated between the bed area and the living room. There was also a TV in the office area of this suite. The bath products are wonderful from Bilss@Spa and smell great. There was a shower gel and shampoo/conditional dispenser in the shower. I've never seen that before and it worked fine.

The bed was very comfortable and had good nightlights for reading or watching TV. The alarm clock was in a very cool lime green retro design that reflected the overall design theme of this property.

I had a chance to speak with an employee at the hotel who gave me a wonderful history lesson of the building and also the hotel itself. This is one of only a few Aloft properties built within an existing building as most are built from the ground up.

This hotel has a very nice lobby and bar area it was quite busy even on a week night. There is a pool and work-out area as well. Our meeting was held in a good sized room and the food catered in for it was excellent. The hotel does not have a walk in restaurant but does have catering options for meetings and events as well as a small area with drinks. coffee, breakfast items and snacks. There are also various lounge areas around the guestroom floors where groups can mingle. The steel circular ramps that look like slides are left from the Haggar clothing days of the building and were used to transport bundles of clothes from the upper levels to the lower levels for shipping. They decided to keep these when building out the hotel and you can see them on the guest room floors. Very cool indeed!

The employees at this property was very friendly and accommodating. My check in was swift and I was provided a parking pass to park my car in the open lot next to the hotel. EASY! When I discovered this hotel was part of the Starwood Preferred Guest program they located my account quickly to apply it to my reservation.

If you are searching for a great place to stay in downtown Dallas, this is the one. The price is reasonable and it is near City Hall, American Airlines center and the Dallas Convention Center. You will love it!

Room Tip: They are all good. The views on the Young street side overlook a park, the other views are the city...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Stevenson54
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Stevenson54,
Thank you for your raving review! We are ecstatic to hear you enjoyed the features and amenities at our hotel, in addition to our convenient location. We hope to see you again soon next time you are in the area. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This hotel is located in the southern part of DT Dallas and is a hop-skip and a jump away from mass transit to airports and points of interest. The room I had was on the 6th floor and it over looked a park, the noise from the street was non-existent, which was appreciated after a long night exploring the West End and Deep Ellum parts of Dallas. I will most certainly be returning here on my future trips to Dallas.

Room Tip: Anything above the 3rd floor is pretty good.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Very comfortable and clean hotel. Cost was very reasonable. Easy and inexpensive parking. Make sure you wine and fine at McKinney Ave, it is walking distance for a fit person despite what staff on front desk tell you. Taxi is $10

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights, really that's all you need for dallad. It suited our purpose well and is a 5 min stroll to Main Street where there are a few restaurants. The highlight of Dallas for us was McKinney avenue. Worth the $10 cab ride. If you can stay in uptown around McKinney for a reasonable price I recommend that over aloft. However we paid $130 a night inc taxes on 4th July public holiday weekend and couldn't complain. It's modern, it's roomy, nice bathrooms. I would recommend.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank JS5071
Reviewed 26 June 2014

After hearing great things about Aloft Hotels, I was excited to be able to stay at the one in Downtown Dallas recently. Unfortunately, I did not find it as great as others. Upon arrival, I was unsure where to park, and it turned out that the parking lot on the back side of the hotel (which the public also uses) was the correct place to park. I didn't really have a problem with that but for the fact that walking in Downtown Dallas at night by myself was a little uncomfortable. Also, the day I checked out it was raining hard, and there was nothing to do other than drag my luggage through the rain to the parking lot.

When checking in, there was no explanation as to how the reFuel worked, or that I could even order food from the bar so I wasn't sure what was included with the room. Incidentally, when I was booking the room initially I had questions about the reFuel and had to call the Reservations line to ask questions about how it worked. The Reservations person couldn't even answer my questions, so I was certainly expecting that someone on the property would explain everything. That was not the case the first night. It wasn't until the next morning when I specifically asked questions at the Front Desk. FYI: There is free regular coffee and tea but anything more is a fee. Also, you can order typical bar food at night either at the XYZ Bar or from the Front Desk. The Front Desk has the menus.

When I got back late the first night and needed to extend my stay by an additional night, I called the front desk 4 times between 9:00 and 10:00 pm and no one ever answered. I finally got someone to answer the next morning when I called at 6:30 am. On my way out that day, I had my key re-keyed so I would be able to get in when I got back. However, when I got back at 10:00 pm, the key didn't work and I had to go back down to the front desk to have that done. That was frustrating after a very long day and after having had the key specifically taken care of before leaving for the day. Then I had to call the front desk to have them take care of extremely noisy neighbors at 11:00 pm. To their credit, the staff immediately responded and took care of the situation.

The room itself was nice - reminded me of some of the hotels in the UK. It was roomy and had nice amenities. I didn't find the bed that comfortable and the pillows were definitely not good.

Overall the hotel was average. It may appeal to a much younger crowd. However, I was not impressed with it and it didn't provide the "creature comforts" that I expect in a hotel. I also was not that impressed with the service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo