“GREAT DOWNTOWN HOTEL! Omni Dallas at the Convention Center”
Review of Omni Dallas Hotel

Omni Dallas Hotel
Ranked #4 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
Sonoma, California
“GREAT DOWNTOWN HOTEL! Omni Dallas at the Convention Center”
Reviewed 19 November 2011

BRAVO! Brand new...opened 11.11.11 with soaring architecture, gorgeous public space (great lobby for networking), fantastic collection of local artwork, and sleeping rooms thoughfully designd for business travelers, each offer a wall to wall, ceiling to floor wall of glass and the rooms facing downtown have GREAT city views. Little touches like nightlight that automatcially illuminates when your feet are near the night stand. Cool bathrooms with TV seamlessly intregrated into the mirror. Excellent gym (more city views!) and an infinity pool and deck. State of the art meeting and convention space in the hotel plus a skybridge connects directly to the Convention Center.....Texas Spice Restaurant (Dr. Pepper Ribs are beyond addictively good!) Bob's Steaks and Chop House offers excellent fine dining plus "The Owners Box" sport bar brings Vegas style video walls and excitement to downtown Dallas. Love the Starbucks outlet co-located with Musuem style gift shop...but it may be the staff who make this a really great new addition to the Dallas hotel scene....They are uniformly friendly and well trained and are genuinely pleased to offer great service.This is now THE business and convention hotel in Dallas.

Room Tip: Request City views
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Thank you very much for the great review of your stay at the Omni Dallas Hotel. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to your next visit. The real highlight of your comments is in regard to the staff. While the brand new building is talked about so positively, the staff are the heart and soul of any hotel operation. Thank you again and we'll see you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (615)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I just stayed at the new Omni Dallas, located downtown on Lamar. IT was exciting to be one of the first guests at this new convention center hotel. It was also a bit disappointing on a few levels. The hotel is new, and the staff if green, so I would hope improvement will come, and soon. The hotel opened ahead of schedule and has already had a couple of groups, one hosting over 700 rooms, so the business if off and running!

Architect Design wise, the building is stunning. A new addition to dominate the Dallas skyline. The location is great, not just for conventions (it is connected to the convention center), but also being in downtown, you have easy access to most everything Dallas and the DFW area have to offer.

The staff, in most areas, needs a lot more training. The hotel is new. Perhaps this is the first time for many to be working hospitality. Still, the attitude displayed in many departments (valet, bellman, front desk, restaurants, housekeeping, spa( all need improvement to be acceptable. My observations: The staff seems more interested in chatting with each other than watching out for the guests. Upon arriving and driving up to the valet entrance, I had to get out of the car, after waiting an several minutes, watching the valets talk amongst themselves to get attention and turn the vehicle over to them. This was after popping the trunk and making, or eye contact with two uniformed men. Finally, a girl valet came and gave me a ticket for the car, but no offer of assistance with luggage came until we had unloaded the car and walked to the door. Then the same girl asked if we wanted assistance. We could manage, and having gone this far, declined. We did struggle with the door, and after we got it opened and picked up our bags again, she held the door. Really too little too late. Hope this is just a training issue with new staff and not the way things will be on an ongoing basis. Not the best first impression.

The chit chat amongst the staff continued at the front desk. We arrived shortly after 3:00 PM and there were no other people waiting to check in. As part of the reservstion process, I was able to "pre check in" on line, and was instructed to simply look for the key board to the right of the front desk, where my key would be waiting with my name on it. I was excited, and skeptical, about this service. I was concerned about security and :1) Could just anyone come and grab a key packet? and 2) would anyone be able to look and get names of people staying in the hotel, and perhaps room numbers, etc. This turned out not to be an issue as the key board is not set up yet, so I had to go the the desk. Two women wre talking about their plans for after work, and after a couple of minutes, stopped so one could assist me. The gent ws pleasant. She explained about the key board just not being ready yet, and since the hotel IS new, I can accept that. However, the reservation call center should be aware of this and sadvise upon making the reservation what the status is, and that an automated email will be sent offering a service that is just not quite ready yet. Oh well....
The agent did have all my information correct, which is refreshing. She also explained about the GREEN HOTEL, and in an effort to conserve resources, one has to place the room key in a special holder next to the door to power up the room, the electric outlets, the air conditioning, the television. Hummm......I am for not wasting resources, to an extent, but this sounded a little too controlling. I like to have some choice about what I might want to conserve, and when traveling, might want to luxuriate in a little flagrant indulgence. I asked for a third key so we could keep one in the power port at all times...IF we chose to. The agent complied.

We made our way to the bank of elevators that took us to the top floor, 23, and found our room, 2355. I had reserved a king bed, and this room was a double double, but we decided not to make an issue and enjoy having a bed to ourselves. It is so exciting to be one of the first guests in a hotel. IT is exciting to try anything new! I like the style of the decor. Southwest elements are reflected in the color scheme, along with a contemporary design in the furniture and art work. The art is all about Dallas and Texas which is welcoming. The room was spacious enough, but seemed a bit odd in layout. There were two desk chairs, side by side, at the long credenza like motel console space: no free standing desk. IT seemed somewhat classroom style. Perhaps this was done with the idea of business/convention people sharing a room and giving individual albeit cramped, work space. My travel companion suggested perhaps the two chairs were for room service, when a travel table cart is left. There was an additional semi lounge chair by the window with a small table at the side. Also at this long credenza console was a bench. This came in handy as an ottoman for the chair, and I guess would substitute for a luggage bench as there was no bench in the closet should one care to place a suitcase on one. The mini bar, while present, was not stocked. At first we thought this was just something the hotel had not gotten around to, yet should for rooms placed in inventory. Later, while speaking with the concierge, we were told that there is a list where you can indicate what you want in the mini bar and it will be stocked for you. This is designed to cut down on disputed charges so often associated with the hotel mini bars, and to save labor hours if someone does no want a particular item, like alcohol in the room. Well and good if you are staying multiple days, which most convention goes will be, but not for the one night stay as we were. No five dollar coke to indulge this trip! The coffee bar is set up here with the mini bar, along with the very small ice bucket. There were two (2) glasses here. There were no glasses in the bathroom set up. Odd. Troublesome when I went to brush my teeth, and no glass to rinse with. The bathroom was well laid out, nice towels, nice amenities, including a jar with cotton balls, and a bathroom rug. Little touches like this make a big difference in comfort when traveling. The view from the room is spectacular. You see Dallas for all the grandeur it is! Floor to ceiling windows. There is a night light that automatically comes on located under the bed side table, which we really liked when we had to get up in the night. Upon entering the room, the televison was on with a personalized welcome message addressed to me. Nice touch. We found the television system a bit challenging to use however. Too high tech for us middle aged baby boomers not up on all the latest technology. I am sure the younger gereration will love this, along with the IPOD docking station.

The room first seemed clean, but upon inspection, on the floor of the bathroom were three long hairs. Black. Now I am bald, with a shaved head, and my travel companion has brunette hair and had not been in the bathroom yet, so I knew these hairs were not from her. This does not speak well for housekeeping. Also, the bed linens, while clearly new, also looked fresh out of the package with creases where they had been folded. This will probably go away with laundering, but a little steaming or pressing would make a better impression. May sound petty, but just my observation. Are any of these issues a deal breaker for this hotel, for a repeat visit? No. But as an Omni brand, I would hope some changes (i.e. more glassware, stocked mini fridge, luggage bench) will be made.

We went out for the evening to a party, and returned about 9:15 PM, hungry and looking forward to relaxing in the bar and having a late dinner. We thought surly the hotel restaurants would be open until 10:00 PM. But when we ventured into the Texas Spice restaurant located just off the lobby, which is the venue for breakfast, lunch and dinner, we were told the kitchen would be closing in 15 minutes, and there were two parties waiting for a table ahead of us. The unspoken implication was we would not be served. Could not be served. We looked around and saw many open tables, along with many dirty tables. We pressed and sked directly, can we be accommodated here for dinner or not. If not, just ay so and we will go elsewhere. The host said we could still have dinner, we just had to wait, as there were two parties ahead of us. Okay. We would go wait at the bar. The bar was crowded, no two seats together there. My companion suggested I sit and wait at the bar while she investigated what else the hotel might have to offer for food. I took a seat at the end of the bar, where I could observe some other diners and the several open tables. It seems we could have been seated at one of these emty tables, even if we had to wait to be served. We could have been studying the menu and be ready to place an order before the kitchen closed. The staff does not agree, wo here I am, waiting at the bar. N one comes to take a cocktail order. I make eye contact with the two people behind the bar. One female bar tender even comes and goes from behind the bar, greets me with a "how ya doing", but never offers to serve a beverage. I waited the 15 minutes the host advised it would be for a table, then cut my losses and made my way back, past the many open tables, to the host stand. Oh, and let me mention, while waiting, a man who appeared to be a manage, in a suit, asked, "was I waiting for a table" to which I replied "yes", but no response from him. He made his way to several of the empty tables, touched the tables, made his was toward the kitchen where uniformed staff (waiters? Bussers?) stood, chatting with each other again as we observes the staff on arrival, but doing no work. The manager sid this round of walking to the table, touching the table, walking to the staff by the kitchen, walking back to the tables, touching the tables, waking back to the staff, while managing to get nothing accomplished. So I go the the host, who is speaking with my companion, still not making an attempt t seat us, and we leave. We are both beginning to get provoked by the service, or the lack of any service here in the hotel, and decide to test the concierge out. The lady concierge on duty, a delightful and friendly young lady, was very calming and welcoming and presented some options, including the venue of Bob's Steak and Chop House. Bob's is a mainstay in Dallas, very good reputation with their original location in the Oak Lawn/Uptown area, and now opening on Omni hotels. It is now almost 10:00 PM, their closing time at Bob's, but the concierge telephones and speaks to the hostess and clears the way for us to be accommodated. She then comes around from behind the desk and escorts us to the dining room to make sure we are taken care of. VERY impressed, as I think most would have just given directions on where to go and be done with us. She talks about the hotel, the design, the art, the outlets with great enthusiasm. I is great to see an employee so excited about where they work, their job, their guests and their responsibilities. We are feeling better now with this attention, and once we reach the restaurant, she makes introductions to the hostess, who again seems genuinely pleased to have us, and they both escort us to a table in the bar area and make introductions to our server. We asked the concierge about the location of a breakfast meeting we are to attend in the hotel in the morning and confimring the times. Now she could have left a voice mail message on our room telephone, or slipped a note under the door, but instead, she found out the information and came back to the restaurant, to our table, and spoke to us in person! I was very, very impressed. I wish I could remember her name, as she is an excellent concierge. It started with an "M". She also spoke to the hostess and our server (which was Julie) to make sure things were going well. Things at this point were going very, very well. Bob's is all about service and quality. We had the best time at dinner. Great food, great service, and the other diners were clearly enjoying themselves as well. Conversations were struck up with the table next to us, and with a group at the bar, who turned out to also be in the hotel for the same breakfast meeting we were going to attend. One of the best dining experiences I have ahd, anywhere. I look forward to returning just for the opportunity to dine here, even if I am not a guest in the hotel. Now Bob's in a pricey steakhouse, with entrees in the $40.00 ++ range. Not every hotel guest would want to have this fine dining experience. The casual Texas Spice venue needs to get their act together for options for guests. We also think the casual restaurant should be open much later, certainly until at least 11:00 PM. A convention hotel needs to have viable options for the guests. Having both restaurants close at the same time seems poor management planning. There are two sports bars where bar food could be had, but the atmosphere is loud. Both of these venues were busy, which is a good sign for a new hotel. People are coming out here, both guests and locals. So what began as a challenge and provoking dining experience ended up being a pleasant and fun night.

Now we return to the room, where apparently turn down had been done, as the curtains were closed, and two little bottles of water were left by the mini bar. THis is the oddest, and most superfluous turn down I have ever experienced. The beds were not touched, not turned down. The bathroom was not refreshed. Just two bottles of water and the curtains closed. Oh well...

The next morning we are awaken with a gentle knock on the door where complimentary coffee for two along with the morning paper has been left for us. Very nice. Also, the wake up call and follow up were performed by a live person. A nice touch from the automated calls now done in so many hotels. We get ready to go down to the breakfast meeting we were in town for. Two people getting ready is just a bit challenging. Water pressure is very low, and the tub does not drain well. I would expect issues like this in an older hotel, but not new construction. I hope engineering can get this corrected.

We proceed down to the third floor where the Trinity Ballroom is located and where The Dallas Convention And Visitors Bureau was holing its annual meeting and breakfast. This is an annual "dog and pony" show, which is entertaining and enthusiastic. Attending really makes one proud to and excited to be in Dallas, a part of the hospitality community! Much was made about the presence of the new convention center hotel and waht it means for the Dallas/Fort Worth area. This will be a great hotel to host city conventions, especially when utilizing the attached convention center. The hotel has beautiful meeting space. I would be excited to have a convention here, and in Dallas!

Tours were offered after the meeting, so we saw other features of the hotel. The pool and wet area are attractive, but the pool and hot tub seem very small to accommodate 1000 hotel rooms and all the guests that might want to utilize these areas. The spa is beautiful as well, and how great to have a spa in the hotel to indulge oneself. Again the staff on duty just does not measure up to acceptable standards. knowing a group of people with the CVB are coming to tour the hotel, I would think and expect the hostess in the spa tp be welcoming and enthusiastic. This woman just stood behind the desk, said nothing, no welcome, no direction as to where to view the facilities. Eventually our group just made our way around and took in the space, with no explanation of just how extensive spa treatments are. I trust this is a full service spa, but cannot confirm that as no information was offered.

Check out time is at 11:00 AM, where most upscale hotels offer at least 12 noon, or even 1:00 PM. We made our way to the front desk and reviewed the bill. The morning staff was much more on the ball than the afternoon staff. Each time I called down for the car from valet, it was ready and waiting, which is nice.

All in all, it was a pleasant stay, and I look forward to having an opportunity to return. I hope the service issues I mentioned are improved for a return visit. Is anything a deal breaker for considering this hotel? NO. But it will be nice to see improvement. I am excited to have this hotel as an option in Dallas. I would be very happy to know a convention I was attending is booked at this property. I would feel good as a meeting planner booking this hotel. However, if I were a meeting planner, I would stipulate in the contract that staff would need to be beefed up and instructed how to display gracious Texas hospitality. With the exception of the concierge and Bob's Steak and Chop House, all ares of the hotel need improvement. If the hotel wants to keep the Omni name, it needs to meet Omni standards.
for anyone reading this review, I hope it helps you, and I hope your visit will be pleasant. As for me, I will be returning.

Room Tip: I think any room will have a great view, which really makes a stay at a city hotel pleasant. I had...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank George A
Thank you for your detailed and informative review. Having just opened the hotel, feedback such as this is crucial to improving the areas that need improvement and taking the place as the best hotel in Dallas. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay and look forward to your next visit.
Carrollton, TX
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We stayed at the Omni for opening weekend. The decor and openness of the hotel is very dramatic. Beautiful Dallas-themed photographs and unique, but very comfortable, furnishings. We enjoyed the sports bar with more than 70 TV screens! The breakfast buffet in Texas Spice was excellent with lots of choices. We loved the rooftop hot tub at night, surrounded by the lights of downtown Dallas. We also warmed up next to the rooftop firepit.
Room accommodations were excellent. The Omni is located in the heart of downtown Dallas, but we never needed to leave the hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CarrolltonTXTraveler
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Thank you for being the first guest to review the Omni Dallas Hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed Opening Weekend as much as we did - it was a long time in the making but we are glad to be a part of the Dallas community. We look forward to many return visits!