“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #5 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Went to the Omni Dallas Hotel on a Saturday for a stay-cation, I’m from Dallas so me and some girlfriends decided to have a girl’s night out. Arrived at 3:35pm, self parked, which there is a daily fee. There is also valet parking. There were a lot of people in the lobby checking in, but there were enough front desk clerks so check-in was a breeze, it took all of 3 minutes. The young lady gave me my room keys and told me that I would need to place one key in the holder next to the door once I entered the room to basically power up the room. Also wanted to mention, there was a table set up in the lobby with free Starbucks hot cider and fresh cookies.

The elevators were easy to find and I didn’t have to wait long. The room I got was a double queen on the 22nd floor. The room was really nice and luxurious and the view of downtown Dallas was awesome with the floor to ceiling windows. Something nice worth mentioning, there was a personalized message on the television when I entered the room, a welcome greeting with my name, nice touch.

Nice features included flat screen hdtv, free wifi, large desk area, two bathrobes, mini fridge and safe, large tub/shower, tv in the bathroom mirror, comfy beds. The décor was really nice, there was beautiful canvas and framed artwork in the rooms and all over the hotel.
Checked out the pool terrace/spa/fitness room on the 4th floor, which was really nice. The pool is outside and it was cold when I was there but the pool is heated (stuck my hand in the water to check) and there also was a hot tub. There was a bar (which was closed, maybe due to the chilly temperature outside) and comfy seating available. We had heard that this was a place where we could hang out, have drinks and listen to music but it was pretty much shut down and that was a bit disappointing.

The sports bar was pretty busy, we tried to get seated around 9pm but there was an hour and half wait, so we went outside the hotel...we had a pretty large party and the hostess told us that we should call ahead in the future. So if you have a large party, call ahead.

Overall, the hotel is very nice. It has a modern touch to it but it is extremely comfy. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. I would definitely stay again and hope too soon.

There were a couple of things worth mentioning that bothered me a little, but nothing so serious as to make me stay away. The drain in the bathtub is very slow almost like it was clogged. Thought that was strange for a brand new hotel. Also, the room doors don't really "self latch", you have to make sure you pull the door shut every time you leave or enter. Not a big deal just took us a little while to remember to do it, since we are so used to most doors closing and latching by themselves

Room Tip: Check in early to get a good room on a high floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank mstoymal
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
We are pleased to hear that you had such an excellent stay with us and look forward to your next visit. We also appreciate your feedback regarding the drain and the door - I have sent you a message to get your room number to ensure that we are able to address the issues you mentioned and your next review will be 100% positive. Thank you again, and safe travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I was with a large group of well traveled industry executives who was able to experience the hotel within its first week of opening. You could tell the hotel ready for us as the staff was a mix of new employees and .experienced managers from other properties. The public areas are full of local artwork which is a refreshing idea. This hotel is very concerned with it's impact on the environment, so you will see many of the LEEDS type of initiatives present. I would have to say, this is one of the better hotels to be connected to a convention center. Now all the city needs to do is completely renovate the Dallas Convention center which is old and tired. AVT audio visual is in house and they did an awesome job with our meeting. They are the premier AV company to have in a hotel environment.

Room Tip: Join the Omni Select Guest program (free-online) before arriving. You will get an upgraded room and...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank chicago2socal
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 8 December 2011

This brand new hotel is really quite nice. The rooms are huge with expansive views of downtown Dallas. The colorful room decor is probably the best I've seen at any hotel including any 5-start resort hotel. The restaurants are top-notch and the service impeccable. One of the best experiences I've had in a long time. The only thing I'd like to see is bottled water in the rooms. Otherwise, A++.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing downtown.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
Thank you for your comment on the bottled water, and we look forward to an A+++ rating on your next visit!
Florida
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I attended a mortgage conference this week in Dallas at the convention center located next to the new Omni Hotel on Lamar St. I stayed at the hotel in a room on the 17th floor. The hotel is one month old and is beautiful. From the clean, chic lines, the natural materials, beautiful art work, the colors used in decorating, the gift shop, use of natural light all speak of quality. Friendly and helpful staff, good food and drinks in the restaurants and bar areas and they were fun and hip. Location just on the fringes of downtown so convenient but no feeling of being in a crowded downtown street. What a convenience to have the convention hall attached. Great gym with state of the art equipment, and it was spacious.

Room Tip: I always prefer rooms on the higher level floors for the views and less noise. I understand that th...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 7 December 2011

OMNI DALLAS -- A truly captivating hotel. I loved the ambiance of this hotel. Only disappointment was the romance package execution. I had to call a few times to remind the concierge/front desk. Anyways, the new hotel and the staff is still learning (trial & error). I'm glad the staff did hear me out though. For future reference... just make sure you call concierge or front desk to double check that it gets done for any special requests. Since there were a handful of issues this stay, I knocked off a star. Other than that, it's a pretty close to a 5 star.

THE HOTEL: clean, new, LOVED the brand new scent

DELUXE ROOM: select guests get a customized room. I LOVED THE HOTEL ROOM. Comfy beds, soooo clean and new! The artwork was pretty awesome. Bathrooms were spacious and the tv in the mirror was just genius!

RESTAURANTS
- Owner's Box: probably one of the coolest sports bars I've been to. plenty of projecter screens and tvs. 2 pool tables in the far back. A reallly good happy hour is available EVERYDAY! 3-7pm. $2.50 bud lights and $4 house margaritas and buy one appetizer get one free! Nachos and potato skins are pretty tasty!
- Texas Spice: what a vast array of breakfast items for you to choose from! I loved the wall of pastries/bread/croissants/jams. The whole decor and set up was very rustic.

SERVICE
- Since this is a new hotel, there were some minor requests that did not happen so I had to call the front desk/concierge. They were understaffed and I"m sure they were still learning. Hopefully this wont happen my next stay.

SELF PARKING
$18

Room Tip: Do sign up for the Omni Select guests program. It's complimentary!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
OK
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I stayed here for a huge event last weekend. The rooms were so clean and the bathrooms were remarkable. I was amazed by the television in the mirror. This new hotel is a great addition to the surrounding area. I tried to book a room for new years eve, but they are already full!! I can't wait to return!

• Stayed December 2011
We can't wait for you to return either. Make sure you come and visit soon!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Being from Dallas, I don't stay in area hotels all that often, but with all the hub bub surrounding the new Omni and their opening rate specials, we figured we would try it out for a night.

The hotel is nice, new and shiney, I liked the feel of the main lobby area. We also took the escalators up to walk around the open common areas by some of the hotel conference rooms. It was also very nice. It would be a great place to have a conference.

The rooms were new and nice as well. pretty high tech when it came to a tv in the bathroom mirror and the room welcoming you when you first arrive. We got a room with a view of the city, and knowing Dallas, I would recommend that over a view facing the other direction if you have a choice. The hotel is next to the convention center and set off a few blocks from the bulk of downtown which actually allows for some pretty cool views of the Dallas skyline and none of the rooms should really have blocked views, although higher is still better.

There were three main restaurants that we saw in the hotel. One is Texas Spice which is supposedly local ingredients that come from within 200 miles. Not entirely sure what the menu genre is though. Also there is a sports bar called the Owner's Box which was really neat and had a great feel. Tons of giant TVs. We went in and had a drink before dinner. The drinks were very reasonably priced for a brand new hotel sports bar. The other restaurant is the Bob's steakhouse in the hotel which is where we had dinner. Bob's is one of the oldest and most famous steakhouses in Dallas and now they have a couple locations besides their original on Lemmon Avenue. It is a nice and expensive restaurant. The food was really good and truthfully better than I remember it being at other Bob's locations. The feel of the restaurant was nice. The oddity was the restrooms. To go to the restroom as a restaurant patron, you have to leave the restaurant and walk half way across the main lobby to the common hotel lobby restrooms. For a ground up new construction, someone should be fired for making this happen. In some places that are historic or older, it is kind of quirky and fun that the restrooms are tucked away in an odd places becuase of a strange remodel, but for a very nice resturant in a brand new hotel to have to walk what seems like the distance of a football filed to go to the restroom is ridiculous.

The location of the hotel is on the least developed side of downtown Dallas, which the powers that be hope will help spur development in that direction. It is walkable to the main parts of downtown (Main Street, the West End, Dealy Plaza,Victory, etc), but depending on where you are going, the weather, etc, it is also a very short cab ride and you won't be missing anything along the way. I would probably say walk if you are going to Dealy Plaza or the Nieman's on Main Street, but take a cab if you are going to the American Airlines Center or the Arts District.

I think this hotel will serve the convention business very well. It would also be a good option if you want a nice hotel in or near downtown. If you are going very high end on a hotel, I would recommend, the Mansion, the Crescent or the Ritz, but it you are going one half star less, or are coming to Dallas for business, than the Omni would be a pretty good option.

Room Tip: The view are better facing the city than facing to the south.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple