Omni Dallas Hotel
Ranked #5 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I recently stayed for five nights while attending a conference. The conference was split between the Hyatt and the Omni. I switched from the Hyatt a few days before the trip and I am ever glad I did. The omni greatly exceeded expectations.

The lobby is large. There are nice places to sit. There is an interesting fireplace. There is a coffee place, Morsels, that is adequate, but not great. The Owner's Box Sports Bar is great with lots of interesting places to sit, inside and out, plenty of TVs and good food. We did not eat at the steak place, but hear it is nigh end and top notch. We did not eat at Texas Spice, another restaurant on site, either.

I stayed in a queen queen room. The room was not huge, but adequate. The bathroom was nice with good bath products. The beds were comfortable. There is flat screen built into the bathroom mirror which is nice. The flat screen in the bedroom is large with many channels and movie channels. There is interesting technology in each room with lights that come on as you walk by them and a central light control where you place your hotel card in to activate it.

The workout room is long with a nice view. There are plenty of treadmills, etc as well as weight machines and free weights. The pool is an infinity pool on the fourth floor. It is not huge, but very nice. The hot tub is nice as well.

The hotel is connected to the Dallas Convention Center. It is within walking distance to most attractions and restaurants.

A few minor downsides: First, if you are going to host multiple large conferences at your hotel, that is fine, but you need to have more elevators if you are going to do so. The backups at prime times were frustrating. Second, housekeeping is inconsistent. The first day we arrived, there was only one drinking glass in the room and no bath soap. They put in bath soap after a few days. The room cleaning is only adequate. Third, I can't say that the staff is overly friendly. At most hotels, even housecleaning staff will say hi and acknowledge your presence as you walk down the halls. In five days, it never happened once. A little strange.

I still gave this hotel 5 stars as it is beautiful, technologically advanced, green, and in a great location.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
DanielDelk, Manager at Omni Dallas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Thank you for taking a moment to submit a review of your recent stay at the Omni Dallas. We are very pleased you rated your experience as "5 Star" and that you enjoyed your stay overall. We appreciate your feedback and do hope to see you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (7,122)

Reviewed 16 March 2013

I was here for four nights in March for the ACDA Convention. This is a lovely hotel with many nice touches. It is ultra-modern; if you are looking for a more "traditional" luxury hotel, you should check out the Adolphus. It is a bit of a walk (about a mile) from the Arts District, where the bulk of my convention activities were, but I don't mind walking. If you need to be at the convention center, it is perfectly located, as it is directly adjacent.

Upon entering the room (1703), I was struck by how lovely it was. Nicely appointed, lots of extras, like modern art, complimentary bottled water, etc. There was even a message on the television screen, welcoming me by name. Nice touch. When looking the room over, I did notice that the shelf over the bed (where the art is) was absolutely covered with dust. I have a terrible dust allergy, so I stopped by the front desk on my way out the next morning, asking that it be cleaned. The lady behind the desk assured me she would take care of it. When I returned later that evening, the dust was still there. I'm not sure who dropped the ball; the front desk or housekeeping, but I was not a happy camper. The next morning I called the executive office and spoke directly with the executive housekeeper, Liz. She was extremely gracious and apologetic, and told me that she would personally see that it was taken care of. When I came back that night, the room (including the dust issue) was absolutely spotless. Thank you, Liz!

The room had a safe, a small fridge and a Cuisinart single-cup coffeemaker. Even with "Wolfgang Puck" coffee, and a nice coffeemaker, the in-room coffee was still predictably weak and horrible. I ended having just one cup in the morning to wake up, and would then go down to the coffee bar for a decent cup.

The bathroom was very nice, with great amenities. The shower was huge but I never understood showers that have the "half" wall of glass, leaving the other half of the shower exposed. I have also seen this a lot in Europe. No matter how hard you try, it is impossible to take a shower without getting water all over the floor. Chic? Yes. Practical? Nope.

Food service: The only restaurant we patronized was the Sports Bar, since they were the only late-night option. The food was good, with nice portions. When we entered, the hostess looked at us quizzically (didn't say "May I help you", or even "Hello"), so we asked for a table for two. She said she was leaving and that someone else would take care of us. With that, she put on her jacket, picked up her bag, and left. Whatever happened to employee locker rooms? That seemed a little unprofessional. We ordered late-night room service twice, and the food was just OK. Fries arrived soggy and lukewarm. Lettuce wraps were served with teeny-weeny little pieces of lettuce, totally impossible to make a "wrap". The chicken club was OK, as were the fish tacos and chicken caesar. Service was prompt both times, under 30 minutes.The girls who work in the coffee bar (attached to the gift shop) were absolutely charming. Friendly, smiling and accommodating. The prices were also quite reasonable, given the caliber of this hotel. One major exception: We took a look at the steakhouse menu. Steaks priced between 45-65 dollars? Really? Maybe if we were on someone else's expense account. Sorry guys, but those prices were ridiculous.

Frankly the only thing that really bothered us was the appalling lack of security (especially at night) near the front of the hotel. This hotel is set back, far away from the main part of downtown, and is always surrounded by panhandlers and homeless people. When we were entering or leaving the hotel, we were always approached by someone asking for a handout. When we were eating in the sports bar, we actually saw a table being harassed by a man who obviously did not belong there. He simply walked up from the outside and directly up to the table. The exterior of the restaurants need either a wall high enough to keep the homeless out, or better security to monitor that sort of activity. I saw a waiter telling the homeless man to leave, and that is not a waiter's job. It is a security issue.

The hotel interior is generally quiet and peaceful, except for the occasional "door-slammers". On late Thursday night, hundreds on Mary Kay women were checking in (I don't envy the front desk!), and they were cramming into the elevators, forcing the rest of us to wait in ridiculously long lines, just to ride up to our rooms. They also were yelling up and down the hallways, slamming doors, and making a ruckus until well after midnight. I must say they made Mary Kay look very bad!

With a nice hotel like this, that offers so much, there are always a thousand things to nitpick about. But overall, it is a really nice property. Based upon the service and decor, I would probably stay again. Location-wise, I'm not so sure. I would probably choose something closer to the center of downtown. Again, the surrounding area is pretty dicey.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a city view. I got one "by accident" and the skyline was breathtaking.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank timbolester

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with detailed feedback of your recent stay at the Omni Dallas Hotel. We always appreciate hearing from seasoned travelers such as yourself on what we are doing well and what we may be able to improve upon. We are happy to hear the majority of your stay was pleasant but obviously disappointed in the ways we missed the mark and have passed your feedback along to our management team to address. Thank you once again for providing us with this review and we do hope to have the opportunity to host you as our guest again soon!

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Comfy, modern, hip, good food and bar choices. Omni has great spots all over to hang out and talk with friends old and new. The place seems to invite friendliness. Loaded with works from contemporary Texas artists, the hotel decor is spiffy. I like the location since most downtown attractions are a short walk away and the hotel sits back a few blocks from the central business district, so rooms on the east side have a nice skyline view.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking a moment to submit a review of your recent stay at the Omni Dallas. We are very pleased you found the location to be so ideal and the decor of our hotel so impressive. We appreciate your feedback and do hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 14 March 2013

This is a well-appointed property in a great central location. We especially liked the pool on the fourth floor. You can lounge in the jacuzzi and watch the stripes of neon lights change colors and patterns from the top to the bottom of the hotel. Very cool. The pool also has a great view of the skyline and the Hyatt's Reunion Tower, which also does its own light show. Rooms are good sized and nicely decorated. TV in the mirror is a neat addition! Service was excellent. You can ask for a fridge and microwave for food to help keep down meal costs as there is no included breakfast. Overall, a great spot in downtown Dallas!

Room Tip: Either side of the building has nice views. North overlooks the Reunion Tower. South overlooks the m...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback! We are delighted to hear your experience was so wonderful and we definitely look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to Dallas.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I stayed here on business. It was a beautifull hotel, the lobby was breath-taking! The view from my room, with the floor to ceiling windows was amazing! The staff was warm, inviting and responsive to my needs! I will stay here every time I am in Dallas!!

When I called to make my reserevation, the attendant answering the phone gave me a great tip! Join the rewards program, it is FREE and you receive perks when you stay! I got chocolate chip cookies delivered to my room the first night and I received (2) FREE beverages of my choice each morning. I simply had to mark them on the door hanger and put that outside my room each night. It was a great way to wake-up!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Charity F

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and welcome to the Omni Select Guest Loyalty Program! We are very pleased to hear you had such an amazing stay at the Omni Dallas Hotel and that so many aspects of your experience were first rate. We definitely look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed here for 4 nights for an event at the adjacent Convention Center. The comfortable well appointed rooms were nice to return to after busy chaotic days. Room service was prompt and delicious . Walking distance to JFK Museum and Dallas Aquarium . We ate at Texas Spice and Bob's Chop House located directly inside the hotel . Both were fantastic with excellent service despite the crowds. Great place to stay in Dallas.

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you so much for taking a moment to share your feedback! We are delighted to hear you and your daughter had such a wonderful stay and found it to be such a flawless experience. We will ensure your kind words make it back to the entire staff and we definitely look forward welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 14 March 2013

The Omni Dallas is a beautiful, modern hotel with great amenities. The rooms were clean and beautifully decorated, however I prefer the warm and welcoming decor of Omni Fort Worth and Omni San Antonio.
I found the "lay" employees to be very friendly and helpful. The contact with "management" left me feeling a little like I was bothering them.
The service and food at "Bob's" was impeccable.
The Saturday brunch, however left a lot to be desired as it just had the basics; scrambled eggs, omlets, meats, fruits and breads. Mimosas were extra. Perhaps I'm just spoiled with the amazing brunch at the Fort Worth Omni. Brunch servers were friendly and on top of things.
Overall - a great stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We are very pleased to hear your experience was so wonderful and especially the fact that your encounters with our line level staff were warm and friendly. We are disappointed this experience did not extend to your interactions with the management staff and that the brunch fell below your expectations as well. We appreciate you taking a moment to provide us with your feedback to correct these issues and look forward to welcoming you back very soon!