“Stay away”

Quality Inn & Suites I-35 / Walnut Hill
Ranked #119 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed 23 March 2014

When I arrived, they had me a room next to the elevator, so I asked to be moved, because I hate listening the elevator all night long. So they moved me to another room, which the smell of fresh paint just about overwhelmed me, plus the smoke detector was chirping. So again they moved me to another room. This room the bath faucet would not shut off completely. The motel is right next to a Night Club, the music coming from the club kept me up all night. Around 4 am, after everyone left the night club, I was just about to fall asleep, when the people next door arrived in their room and I had to listen their conversion. By this point, I just decided to pack up and drive home. On my way out to drop off my keys, I was going speak to the person at the front desk, but she was asleep. I am so glad someone at the motel gets to sleep. With out saying, I wont be back at the motel, I advise you not to either.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room on the other side of the Night Club.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 23 March 2014

The lady at the desk was horrible. Very rude. Had family and requested to have rooms close to each other. Her response was "There are NO requests!" The rooms are old and some smell of smoke even though they were no-smoking. Was not pleased here.

• Stayed: March 2014
Dutt P, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites I-35 / Walnut Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Hello buddiesonroad,

Thank you for taking the time to participate in our on-line survey. I would like to apologize on behalf of my staff, she should have accomodated you and not stated that we did not see that request on your reservation. I will most definitely train them better so this does not happen in the future.

We were a smoking facility, having smoking rooms on the top floor but we have changed to a non-smoking facility, and again, I am sorry you had a smoking room. Hopefully you find it in you to give us another chance in the near future, everything will be new!

General Manager.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I will start off by saying the outward appearance will fool you. The rooms were much older than any other comfort inn and suites that we have stayed at, the tub was dirty, the coffee pot was dirty and broken, the towels were scratchy and the breakfast was mediocre. The night staff was unfriendly but the morning staff was better, more professional. The pool gave my son an ear infection, but the gym was good for my older son. My husband was not impressed with the 1990s era box tv.

Room Tip: Maybe go to a better neighborhood?
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Dutt P, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites I-35 / Walnut Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Hello Billie R.,

Thank you for taking the time to participate in our on-line survey.

On behalf of my entire staff I would like to apologize for failing to meet your expectations. I am truly sorry that you had that experience staying with us. We do know that our hotel is modernly behind that is why we are moving to renovate it to its entirety. I am sorry about your son's situation, please let us know if we can remedy that.

We do hope that you give us another chance to provide you with great guest satisfaction in the near future.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We had made reservations through choice thinking we had guaranteed reservations. At 830pm we called to make sure letting them know we were still in transit to find out they had given our room away but would give us a different one. With Wyndham we have never experienced that. Thankful they still ha a room since they said their full. Yet we arrive and "somehow" they have our room for us. However the building next to us and parking lot had a party going the entire night to wee hours of the morning. Music loud voices and freeway traffic. We were on the Fourth floor backside of building. Though my husband with cold medicine slept through it I didn't.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dutt P, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites I-35 / Walnut Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Hello dd1984,

Thank you for participating in our on-line survey.

I deeply apologize for your experience at our hotel and will make sure to train our staff better at assigning rooms. However, we were very busy that day due to the Valentine holiday but again, I will share this with the staff to reinforce our commitment to all of our guest's satisfaction.

We hope that you give us a chance in the near future to serve you better.

Mike O'neil

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I should have known, after passing the Gentlemen's Club nearby, that this hotel would be nothing but trashy. When I walked through the automatic sliding glass doors with my luggage, they actually closed on me. Then my sinuses were assaulted by the pungent chlorine smell which burned my nostrils. After having to wait 15 - 20 minutes to check in, the elevator wait was no better. I was placed in a room next to the hall being remodeled, a scant ten paces away. Not only is the hotel outdated and shabby, so are the rooms. There were holes and cigarette burns on the furniture and bathroom vanity, holes in the drapes, the sink and tub did not drain properly and backed up, the carpet was ragged and the televisions were circa 1980. The air smelled of musty cigarettes and stale beer. I was awakened to the sound of hammers, drills and saws which competed with the obnoxiously loud interstate noise outside my window. I would have been better off at the Bates Motel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Dutt P, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites I-35 / Walnut Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear SouthernTravelerGal,

Thank you for participating in our survey.

I am very sorry you had to go through that ordeal at our hotel. I know it is not a consolation but it sounds as if you experienced the worst of the worst and I am deeply sorry about that. We have talked to our working crew to scale down on the noise and starting time of their work as we are in the process of renovating and needing a new, upgraded look to our hotel. I would love to have your address to mail you a couple of thousand points. If so you choose, our email address is gm.txa01@choicehotels.com. I hope you forgive us for such horrible experience. Have a nice day and hope hearing back from you.

Mike O'Neill
General Manager.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

This is a very good value. It is nicely appointed with a friendly and responsive staff. It is clean and contains a whirlpool, an indoor swimming pool and workout center. All are handicap accessible. The breakfast is excellent with bacon/sausage, biscuits and sausage gravy, eggs/omelets, waffles, juice, cereal, coffee, bread, bagels, Danish, yoghurt, and fresh fruit. There are some minor instances of amateur maintenance such as discolored tiles in the elevator and masking tape on the heater/AC, but nothing that is intolerable. The bathroom is clean with an excellent shower head and bath. There is free Wi-Fi. Parking is free, secure, well-lit and there is a low-profile security officer on duty at night as well as video surveillance. Excellent freeway access to 35E to go downtown Dallas in about 15-20 minutes. There are several restaurants or fast food places such as Denny's and Jack in the Box and others within walking distance. The walls are not soundproof, but average. The TVs are older, but operational. The stairway carpet from the lobby to 2nd floor needs shampooing. A few negatives are out of control of the management such as: the location is next to a car lot on the north and the freeway on the west. Not much of a view...who cares? Several nightclubs are very close, but none of this really affected me once inside. I stayed there for 5 days and was very satisfied. To get the best price, book via the internet.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mr. Mark O.,

Thank you for taking the time to participate in our on-line survey. I am very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I will share this with our staff to reinforce our commitment to providing all our guests with an exceptional service.

I do admit we need minor improvements and that is one of the reasons we are renovating. Also because we do need to be on par with today's technology thus we will be installing all new furniture and television sets. I hope you come back in the near future and enjoy our new accommdations.

Mike O'Neill

Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Spent three nights at this hotel in early January. Noticed a small wrapper, plastic bottle cap and red coffee stir stick on the hallway floor the night I checked in. All three pieces of trash where still there when I checked out. Also noticed a few crackers on the floor of the elevator everyday. Room was pretty clean. Just wonder who cleans the elevator and hallways?

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Dutt P, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites I-35 / Walnut Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Russell M.,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to our on-line survey.

I am very sorry that we failed to exceed your expectations and I will bring this to the attention of our housekeeping staff. Thank you for letting us know in order to provide a better experience for all of our guests. Hope you come back to see us to let us serve you better.