“Best Vegan/Vegetarian food in Dallas”

Spiral Diner & Bakery
Ranked #145 of 3,594 Restaurants in Dallas
Price range: US$0 - US$12
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Branch of a small chain offering creative, organic-leaning vegan fare in funky, retro-themed digs.
Dallas
“Best Vegan/Vegetarian food in Dallas”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

When you set up a vegan/vegetarian restaurant in a meat-centric town like Dallas (or Ft Worth where there is also a location) you know you are either going to ROCK it because there are so few options in town - or you will utterly fail because there are just too dang many carnivores. Thank goodness for everyone that Spiral Diner ROCKS it!! When they first opened in FT Worth I was so scared that they would not last. I live in Dallas & did not get to the FT Worth location as often as I would like. When I found out that they were not only making it - but expanding to Dallas I was overjoyed! The Dallas location have been there several years now & they still put out consistently delicious & healthy items. EVERYTHING I've had is super tasty. Even my carnivore friends like to eat here with me. My hands down fave is The Mitch - a tofu club sandwich jacked up with yumminess. I also love the Oogava fountain drinks - let's hear it for Watermelon Cream soda! Everything is tasty & the wait staff is really helpful if you are not sure what to order. Do you self (and your health) a favor & check this place out!

Denver, CO
“Best Vegetarian Restaurant in Dallas”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I travel to Dallas every single week for work and always try to find new restaurants to check out. Finding a good vegetarian restaurant anywhere in the South is a bit of a challenge. I came across reviews of Spiral and decided to check it out. I was VERY impressed. The food is fresh and well-prepared, the staff is attentive and friendly, and the ambiance is great. It sort of reminds me of an old school diner. I can't say enough about the food. I would eat anything on the menu. And bonus, they have organic wine! I will be back to this place again and again.

Visited March 2014
New York City, New York
“Shouldn't take 1 1/2 hours total for guests to get first bites of food”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I don't believe this restaurant deserves all of the positive reviews. The food is good, yes. But it's not outstanding -- probably for first time vegans/vegetarians or omnivores who go vegan once and a while. This is a good vegan restaurant for Dallas, but not one of the best in the U.S. or worldwide.

First, I ordered the "southern comfort," tofu scramble (appears to be all seasoning and no fresh veg like onions, green onions or bell peppers, etc.), hashbrowns and toast, which was overpriced for the amount of food one gets on the plate. This was a disappointment, and I mentioned it to at least two staff members who said that this was their typical portion size.

On a visit for Sunday brunch, we waited about 30 mins. for a table -- no big deal -- but then we waited an hour after we placed our order to receive two orders of pancakes and a shared biscuit and gravy dish. We were only two people -- FYI: not worth adding the $2 for blueberries or pecans to your pancakes; again, the portions size of these is dismal and definitely not worth a $2 charge.

This wait was extended to the three tables before our name on the list and about five tables after we were seated. I couldn't believe that people who were seated 20 mins. before we were, hadn't received their food.

I mentioned something to our waiter, who acknowledged the long wait time, but to me this should have been addressed by him and others a half-hour before I mentioned it. It seems like the staff was aware that orders were taking extremely long to be filled, but they were not sharing this with their guests who just kept getting more self-serve refills to fill their hunger and pass the time.

Also, I couldn't stop staring at a few of the female's wardrobe choices for a Spiral Diner. One blonde waitress, who primarily stayed behind the counter with food, wore blue running shorts that were high enough on her thighs to be considered something close to unsanitary. One inch higher and it would have been called boy-short lingerie.

Meanwhile, another waitress had a black shirt so tight up her back that it was almost a crop-top. Perhaps she wanted to display her two fire-red, tramp-stamp tattoos on her back to restaurant guests.

To be fair, I was comped at checkout after I, again, mentioned the one-hour wait time to receive our order, but I had to ask for it after the cashier kept giving me "there's nothing I can do" responses to our experience.

Bottom line: Spiral Diner in Dallas serves good food, but it skimps on portions; has friendly unpretentious staff, but some of their uniform choices is a bit questionable and revealing for a restaurant and needs to communicate long wait times to their customers who may have other appointments apres meal. It shouldn't take 1 1/2 hours total (30 min. wait in line for a table, 1 hour after we gave our order) for guests to receive their first bites of food.

3 Thank IEIID
Milford, Texas
“AMAZING!!!!”
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

We eat here at least one a week and sometimes more!! What makes that extra special is we live an hour away!! Everything we've had is exceptional and this will make you want to eat vegan more. One of our favorites are the nachos and the pancakes (served only on Sunday). You must try any of the desserts as that will definitely make you a vegan believer!! If you want to try something new and be amazed try this amazing vegan food!!!

New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,139 helpful votes
“An Oasis in Carnivore Dallas”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

There are just a handful of places in Dallas where civilized human beings can have a proper meal without worrying about what dead animals are lurking in the meal. Spiral is not only rare for hardcore carnivore Dallas, but even otherwise. It is a true diner that is fully vegan, with a very creative and extensive menu, many specials, and very reasonable prices. I had the Po Boy sandwich that was out of the world. It was very flavorful and very filling. The agave lemonade was perfect and so was the freshly steeped organic chai that was full of Indian spices.

The guy serving me was warm and funny, and so were the rest of the staff. Location is in a weird area, though right on a major street, and the place is quiet spacious. Make sure to make this a stop while in Dallas.