“Very nice high prices for overall experience”
Review of The Cedars Social

The Cedars Social
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cedars Social is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #517 of 3,640 Restaurants in Dallas
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Belleview
Transit: Cedars stop on the DART is one block east of the Cedars Social on Belleview Street
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Walked in no host. Server was polite yelled from across the room sat us after the bartender "dude" asked do you have reservations?

We were under dressed and the restaurant was empty. Which one caused the reaction??!

Um one of us lives across the street in a not so cheap high rise and between the two of us we make over 350k a year. He has a comic shirt and I had a sports jersey on....

well ordered food both burgers came with onions when we asked for no onions. One burger was pink when asked for med well.

Server was awesome though. He alone will allow a 5star but for the order of management and prices it takes a hit.

I got two crown shots for 9bucks a piece and burgers were 14.

Yes very nice place decent food.

you can tell that it is a higher non eating clientele.

We've been to Napa valley and BlackBerry farms so we know 5 stars and 100-200 plate 4-5 course meals but this is an overpriced t.g.I. Fridays.

You may love it. Give it a try. Your experience maybe better.

There are newer reviews for The Cedars Social

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We went with a group of 8 for dinner. We had a large table by the fireplace which half of us liked and half of us thought it was too hot. We ordered a variety of things. Kale salad, amazing. Oxtail gnocchi, not very good. Loud music playing the whole time, again, half of us thought it was fine and added to the vibe of the place, the other half thought it made it hard to talk. Be sure to look closely at the wine list. It is easy to think they only have really expensive wines ($80+) but if you look you will see decent wines in the $35-$40 range. I would go back, without the half of my friends that didn't like it.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

You would never know what is behind the doors of this place. No sign on the front, dicey neighborhood. I was staying at the hotel across the street. Didn't have a reservation but there was one seat left at the bar so I lucked out. It was late and I just wasn't up for a lot of food. I had the special pork belly flatbread. It was really delicious. Service at the bar was great. If I am ever in Dallas again I would definitely go back for dinner.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I recently went out with some friends for my wife's belated birthday celebration. We wanted to find more of a gastropub than a traditional restaurant, so we decided to give The Cedars Social a try.

This place feels like they pulled it out of the 1960s, including the decor and furniture. They did have an extensive drink menu though. My wife opted for one of the specialty cocktails, while I kept it simple (or at least I thought) with two fingers of Johnny Walker Gold on the rocks. The hipster bartender seemed unfamiliar with the "fingers" measurement so I had to explain. You'd think a dated phrase would play well here with all of the other prohibition-era drink selections. Oh well. Drinks came fast whilst at the bar, but once we switched over to waiter service it took forever to even get a draft beer.

We started to order, only to find them out of short ribs. Blasphemy! We ordered a whole array of food so that everybody could sample.

The deviled eggs weren't anything special or unique in any way. No wonder they're only $4.00.

The charred octopus came with green olive pesto, sundried tomatoes, and a sauce vierge (whatever that is). The tentacles just screamed "Eat Me!" but I wish they hadn't. The octopus was disappointingly chewy, and there wasn't much pesto to accompany the meat. It was also pretty salty. To be fair, octopus is a pretty difficult meat to master, so I won't fault them too much.

The truffle mac and cheese was next, and the aroma was amazing. It was creamy and decadent. There was a slight crunch from the shaved truffle sprinkled on top that played well with the creaminess. This may have been some of the best mac and cheese I've had in a while.

My wife got their dinner special crawfish, crab, and shrimp rigatoni with a parmesan creme sauce, and she was kind enough to let me try a few bites. The pasta was slightly too al dente. The creme sauce was really tasty, but didn't have just a ton of punch to it. The onions gave things a nice bite though, and there was a decent spiciness to it. The seafood medley worked well with the parmesan too. I think I enjoyed it a lot more than she did.

After all that, I was still hungry (go figure). I tried the shrimp and grits to finish things off. I should have started with this, because it was awesome. The shrimp were cooked perfectly, and the addition of white cheddar to the grits was really tasty too. The grits themselves were fine, but kind of just filler compared to the rest of the plate. The shellfish buerre blanc was reminiscent of a great lobster bisque. This was by far the best thing I ate.

Overall, the food at The Cedars Social was a little hit or miss. I might come back for a drink, though I guess I'll need to stick to a more contemporary drink order.

Read my other reviews, complete with pictures:

Search "The Barbecue Fiend"

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Funky food, cool decor, decent cocktails, great music, friendly staff with an indoor fire pit. Perfect!