“A Marriott HOME RUN!”

Ranked #41 of 201 Hotels in Dallas
Huntsville, Alabama
“A Marriott HOME RUN!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I only rate a hotel when it goes above and beyond the normal Marriott high standards. In my opinion this Marriott (and their concierge lounge) far exceeds the service level at the Marquis in Times Square.

The concierge lounge staff were amazing. They took time to genuinely ask about my day and made sure everything was just perfect. Also, the food was spectacular, taking heavy hors devours to new heights.

The staff is friendly and anticipates your needs. One of the "small things" that is really a big thing for me, was their thoughtfulness in the room on the club level. Water and Pretzels in the room as a "late night snack" is a small thing that speaks volumes to their service level. I'm very rarely in Dallas, however, I know where I'm staying the next time I'm there.

Close to everything. Great food on site and nearby! Management visible and engaged. Home run Marriott, see you next time I'm in Dallas!!!

• Stayed May 2014
Dallas_Marriott, Guest Relations Manager at Dallas Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Mr. Chad R,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a TripAdvisor review. We look forward to your return on your next trip to Dallas. If there is anything we can do to improve your stay, please do not hesistate to let me know. Meredith Innes, Sr. Rooms Operations Manager, meredith.innes@marriott.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Lutz, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stayed at the Marriott 3 nights on a recent trip to Dallas. This particular Marriott property is in the heart of downtown Dallas. Its huge, and includes an adjacent impressive atrium style shopping and dining mall. The location is great, and the rooms are fine, but you kind of expect that. The hotel concierge and desk staff were particularly helpful. However, there are some service and convenience issues which offset the positives for us. I have seen some of these problems at another Marriott hotel, suggesting to me that some of the issues may be system wide.

First, there is no hotel shuttle service at all. You will need a taxi or pay for a private shuttle van to go anywhere. Taxis are actually a better deal, at least for the airport trips. There is a nearby city train terminal, you can ride all day for a modest daily fee if the train happens to be going where you need to go. If you rent a car, plan on some pricey daily hotel parking fees.

Second, its about $14 a day to use the hotel internet in your room. Who charges for internet anymore? Marriott does.

Third and inexplicably, most of the atrium shops and restaurants on this huge Marriott property are closed on weekends, As a consequence, the lines for the few open food venues are outrageous. Since there isn't anything within walking distance of the hotel, this forces you to the Marriott hotel restaurant/bar. Breakfast there is good, dinner not so much. Service is also a little iffy

Fourth , there seemed to be a distinct lack of control of the premises. During our stay, and among other events, there was an athletic meeting or conference of some sort. Apart from the huge crowd and noise in the lobby, there were groups of teens actually dribbling basketballs in the hotel lobby. Although we had specifically asked for a quiet room at check in (based on a prior review we read), this disruption carried over to our hotel room. The entire hallway outside our room became a party area, with large groups of teens congregated. They actually had pizza delivered and sat on the hallway floor, eating and partying. This activity carried over into the room adjacent to ours.

Marriott's are nice hotels, but they do need to work on providing better services and oversight, at least where I've stayed. They charge enough to be able to provide a little more to their customers. In the future, I will stay at one if I have to.

Room Tip: Arrange your own transportation.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank FloridaRO
Dallas_Marriott, Front Office Manager at Dallas Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Good afternoon FloridaRO,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us; we welcome any feedback that can help us improve the guest experience in the future. I am sorry your time as our guest was less than satisfactory.

Thank you for the positive comments as well. I am glad you enjoyed the rooms and our location. I am happy to hear that the concierge and reception team displayed the service we strive for and our guests have come to expect.

While we do have a security team present at all times, we will absolutely look at scheduling an additional person to keep watch in the instances when there are large youth groups in the hotel. The safety and security of our guests is our top priority and our security team works very hard to ensure an environment that is conducive for both relaxing and productivity. I am truly dissappointed that you were disturbed by one of our groups and we were not able to adequately contain the noise.

It is great that you enjoyed your breakfast in the hotel restaurant but I am sorry dinner did not meet your expectations. If you have a free moment I would really appreciate any particular opportunities you noticed where we could improve your dining experience in the evening.

We do charge for our internet services in order to provide our guests with a secure, fast, and stable connection as well as provide a 24/7 technical support staff. We do offer complimentary wireless in all public areas as well our business center. The charge for internet in the guest rooms is common with most of our large full-service competitors.

Again, thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I know it will prove helpful for planning purposes to prevent these same issues from reoccurring in the future. If I can be of any help in the future, or if you would like to give us any more feedback, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Regards,
Chase Chasteen
Rooms Operations Manager
chase.chasteen@marriott.com
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I was at this location for one night for a wedding. Rooms were fine. Location is in walking distance of Klyde warren park & the art museum which was a great way to spend a few free hours. Service was slow at the bar. The appetizers we ordered were great. Especially the tempura prawns. We also enjoyed the breakfast buffet & had the most friendly waitress!

• Stayed May 2014
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed here for the ACS conference in March. The staff was extremely helpful and pleasant. Even though I did not book through ACS, they helped me make the stay extremely comfortable. Room was well equipped and clean.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Fergus Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

This hotel is great for visiting Dallas either with a partners or for business. You should be aware that there isn't much near this hotel so expect to take a cab or use your own vehicle. The rooms are great and the service is exceptional. I did not give this hotel a perfect score because I believe a hotel that charges this much a night should provide free internet, not charge you $14.00 a day to use it in your room; that is just cheap.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Tustin, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

For my first stay in downtown Dallas, I chose this Marriott because of its proximity to a DART line stop and the Dallas Museum of Art. Aside from those benefits, there are many other reasons why I would highly recommend this hotel. [Disclosure: I am a Gold level Marriott Reward member].

For your consideration:
(1) The property is within easy walking distance of the Dallas Museum of Art, Nasher Sculpture Center, Crow Collection of Asian Art, Meyerson Symphony Center and Winspear Opera House. If culture is your thing, this would be a great place to stay.
(2) Slightly farther to walk (15-20 mins) are the Dallas World Aquarium, Perot Museum and Sixth Floor Museum.
(3) The hotel actually forms one side of the Plaza of the Americas, with odd number rooms facing Pearl Street and the evens facing the atrium. Because I thought hotel atriums could get noisy at times, I had a room facing Pearl Street. However, I noticed that the atrium seemed to be pretty quiet (closure of the offices and restaurants). Sleep quality was surprisingly good considering that I could see the DART trains from my room. My KING room was super-nice. The room fridge was very quiet.
(4) The fitness center is awesome, among the largest I have ever visited in a hotel of this type. Whether you are into cardio or weight workouts, everything is there for you.
(5) If your Marriott membership can get you access to the Concierge Level, you’ll be pleased to find free food and drink (pour ‘em yourself!) that just might suffice for a nice dinner.

A note about DART travel to/from DFW: program in a little over an hour for the overall trip, which is by rail/shuttle. From the hotel take the Orange train to the “Belt Line” station, which is currently the last stop. From there, you’ll hop a shuttle van that takes you to DFW. I’m told that the Orange line will extend all the way to DFW starting in September, so that will save a little time when that happens. You may want to visit the restroom just before you leave your hotel because there are none at the shuttle station.

Room Tip: The highest and lowest room numbers are farthest from the elevators.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Desborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights while visiting Dallas and enjoyed our stay. The room was very clean and comfortable, a very large firm bed. Only criticism is the bathroom looks a tad dated and old. Wasn't keen on the shower over the bath as the non slip in the bathtub felt very gritty which makes you think it's dirty when it's not! Good location for exploring central sights, just a short walk away. We didn't eat in hotel but the breakfast looked good. There is a small centre attached to hotel that contains eating places that are good for breakfast / snacks. I think they shut early evening though and only a few open at weekends. Oh one last thing you have to pay extra for wifi which is annoying in this day and age! And valet parking is around $20 a day which we felt was ok although we did see several car parks not too far away for $5..

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple