“Not impressed.”

Ranked #35 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Not impressed.”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Having booked and prepaid for a no-smoking king room and being checked into a smoke-infested, double room is not what anyone would be pleased with. The less said about the lacklustre service and generally unfriendly and "I-dont-care" attitude of the staff the better. I had to check myself out as quickly as I had checked in. Parking is also a nightmare.

Room Tip: Make doubly sure that the room type you booked is guaranteed when checking in.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tebogo K
Dallas_Marriott, Front Office Manager at Dallas Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for the feedback about your recent stay at the Dallas Marriott City Center Hotel. I am sorry to hear that your stay was less than satisfactory and was hoping to get additional details so that we may address the issues you mentioned accordingly. At your earliest convenience, could you please contact me at the hotel direct line of 214.979.9000 or email me at jonathan.adrian@marriott.com? I appreciate the opportunity to use your feedback in an effort to improve our product and service and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincere regards,
Jonathan Adrian
Front Office Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I recommend this Marriott for several reasons. First off the location is situated in downtown Dallas, but very easy to access. The restaurant on property is good for breakfast or a snack. The rooms are spacious and have most of everything you would need. The gym is also very nice with enough equipment, weights and others to get in a nice workout daily. The best part is outside the hotel within walking distance.... Klyde Warren Park is very close and what a fun park!! Located in the middle of downtown it has places to relax, several food trucks, foosball/ping pong tables, reading areas for kids at no charge (the activites). It is also walking distance to W. Village area which has tons of shopping and food all along McKinney Ave. Many options so close by. The staff here is very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for the view of downtown Dallas
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This hotel stay left me conflicted. We had a two day conference at this hotel a few months ago. I'm just going to list the good and the bad and let you decide for yourself.

The Good:
Extremely friendly and nice staff thought the stay and conference. Food was generally good but not amazing. It's attached to the City Center building complex complete with shops and restaurants and really cool prismatic light filters that make giant rainbows in the indoor spaces. It was a decent walk from the hotel part to the conference part on the other side of the enclosed mall, but good exercise.

The Bad:
This hotel doesn't believe in fresh air. The hotel and conference center were stuffy and stifling all the time, despite it being springtime when we were there. My room was at the end of a hallway and there was no airflow at all in the bathroom. So when someone was smoking in a room near mine, I could smell it all night. The bathroom had no fan, so any smells in there lingered for the two days I was there as well. The mirror stayed fogged for hours after a shower. The AC in my room just mixed and recirculated the smell.

My room had only one window that looked out into the mall and into an office building about 20 feet away. So no view of the outside at all and if I wanted to open the window shade to let in some light I was staring at someone sitting at a desk in their office.

There were balconies on each floor near the elevators that would have been a great place to chat and look out over the mall but the doors were always locked.

Between the odd view and the lack of fresh air, I really didn't have a good experience at this hotel, despite the friendliness of the staff. If it wasn't for the staff, this would have been a 2 star experience for me at best.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tim M
Dallas_Marriott, Guest Relations Manager at Dallas Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Tim M,

Thank you for your recent posting, and for taking the time to inform us about your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to improve our products and services.

I was disappointed to learn about your experience at the Dallas Marriott City Center. Our team works very hard to follow up and ensure that our guests are completely satisfied. I am very sorry that you didn’t have a flawless experience in regards to the fresh air flow and room location. I would like to be able to have the staff address venting in your room to prevent any future occurrences. At your convenience, please email me if you would like to discuss further. Thank you again for staying with us. Meredith Innes, Sr. Rooms Operations Manager, meredith.innes@marriott.com
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Let me say, first of all, that I stayed at this hotel after having spent three nights at the Grand Hyatt DFW. The Grand Hyatt ruined me for all other hotels, because it was so classy and elegant...swanky, even. Had I stayed at this Marriott first, I might have a different perspective.

The hotel is fine. The rooms are large and clean, and the beds are comfortable. The service is fine, and the staff members are nice. The hotel is in a great location. My first room overlooked the atrium of Plaza of the Americas and I felt as if I couldn't open the curtains without being on display to the shoppers and office workers. I requested a room change, and was promptly accommodated.

My one complaint about this hotel is that wifi is not included in the room rate. I used my personal hotspot, but kept getting kicked out and redirected to the sign-up for the hotel wifi at $12.95/day. I had to keep rebooting my hotspot to stay connected.

Everything else in the hotel is fine, and you'll be comfortable here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Deidra R
Dear Deidra, Thank you for your recent stay at the Dallas Marriott City Center. I appreciate your feedback. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the service and the size of our rooms. I understand that our location is unique and many rooms face the interior Plaza of the Americas park or have a view of downtown Dallas. Complimentary WiFi is offered in the lobby and Concierge Lounge. The internet service we provide includes extensive bandwidth and VPN compatability. This type of service incurs a fee, and we must charge our guests for a sevice they value. Please feel free to reach out to me if you are in the downtown Dallas area in the future, we enjoyed having you as our guest. Meredith Innes
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I only rate a hotel when it goes above and beyond the normal Marriott high standards. In my opinion this Marriott (and their concierge lounge) far exceeds the service level at the Marquis in Times Square.

The concierge lounge staff were amazing. They took time to genuinely ask about my day and made sure everything was just perfect. Also, the food was spectacular, taking heavy hors devours to new heights.

The staff is friendly and anticipates your needs. One of the "small things" that is really a big thing for me, was their thoughtfulness in the room on the club level. Water and Pretzels in the room as a "late night snack" is a small thing that speaks volumes to their service level. I'm very rarely in Dallas, however, I know where I'm staying the next time I'm there.

Close to everything. Great food on site and nearby! Management visible and engaged. Home run Marriott, see you next time I'm in Dallas!!!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Mr. Chad R,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a TripAdvisor review. We look forward to your return on your next trip to Dallas. If there is anything we can do to improve your stay, please do not hesistate to let me know. Meredith Innes, Sr. Rooms Operations Manager, meredith.innes@marriott.com
Lutz, Florida
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stayed at the Marriott 3 nights on a recent trip to Dallas. This particular Marriott property is in the heart of downtown Dallas. Its huge, and includes an adjacent impressive atrium style shopping and dining mall. The location is great, and the rooms are fine, but you kind of expect that. The hotel concierge and desk staff were particularly helpful. However, there are some service and convenience issues which offset the positives for us. I have seen some of these problems at another Marriott hotel, suggesting to me that some of the issues may be system wide.

First, there is no hotel shuttle service at all. You will need a taxi or pay for a private shuttle van to go anywhere. Taxis are actually a better deal, at least for the airport trips. There is a nearby city train terminal, you can ride all day for a modest daily fee if the train happens to be going where you need to go. If you rent a car, plan on some pricey daily hotel parking fees.

Second, its about $14 a day to use the hotel internet in your room. Who charges for internet anymore? Marriott does.

Third and inexplicably, most of the atrium shops and restaurants on this huge Marriott property are closed on weekends, As a consequence, the lines for the few open food venues are outrageous. Since there isn't anything within walking distance of the hotel, this forces you to the Marriott hotel restaurant/bar. Breakfast there is good, dinner not so much. Service is also a little iffy

Fourth , there seemed to be a distinct lack of control of the premises. During our stay, and among other events, there was an athletic meeting or conference of some sort. Apart from the huge crowd and noise in the lobby, there were groups of teens actually dribbling basketballs in the hotel lobby. Although we had specifically asked for a quiet room at check in (based on a prior review we read), this disruption carried over to our hotel room. The entire hallway outside our room became a party area, with large groups of teens congregated. They actually had pizza delivered and sat on the hallway floor, eating and partying. This activity carried over into the room adjacent to ours.

Marriott's are nice hotels, but they do need to work on providing better services and oversight, at least where I've stayed. They charge enough to be able to provide a little more to their customers. In the future, I will stay at one if I have to.

Room Tip: Arrange your own transportation.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank FloridaRO
Dallas_Marriott, Front Office Manager at Dallas Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Good afternoon FloridaRO,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us; we welcome any feedback that can help us improve the guest experience in the future. I am sorry your time as our guest was less than satisfactory.

Thank you for the positive comments as well. I am glad you enjoyed the rooms and our location. I am happy to hear that the concierge and reception team displayed the service we strive for and our guests have come to expect.

While we do have a security team present at all times, we will absolutely look at scheduling an additional person to keep watch in the instances when there are large youth groups in the hotel. The safety and security of our guests is our top priority and our security team works very hard to ensure an environment that is conducive for both relaxing and productivity. I am truly dissappointed that you were disturbed by one of our groups and we were not able to adequately contain the noise.

It is great that you enjoyed your breakfast in the hotel restaurant but I am sorry dinner did not meet your expectations. If you have a free moment I would really appreciate any particular opportunities you noticed where we could improve your dining experience in the evening.

We do charge for our internet services in order to provide our guests with a secure, fast, and stable connection as well as provide a 24/7 technical support staff. We do offer complimentary wireless in all public areas as well our business center. The charge for internet in the guest rooms is common with most of our large full-service competitors.

Again, thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I know it will prove helpful for planning purposes to prevent these same issues from reoccurring in the future. If I can be of any help in the future, or if you would like to give us any more feedback, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Regards,
Chase Chasteen
Rooms Operations Manager
chase.chasteen@marriott.com
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I was at this location for one night for a wedding. Rooms were fine. Location is in walking distance of Klyde warren park & the art museum which was a great way to spend a few free hours. Service was slow at the bar. The appetizers we ordered were great. Especially the tempura prawns. We also enjoyed the breakfast buffet & had the most friendly waitress!

• Stayed May 2014