“Resurrection Painting...Impressive”

Museum of Biblical Art
Ranked #37 of 253 things to do in Dallas
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife and I visited here in early May 2014. Plenty of parking as well as no-fee entry to the museum for military. The prime reason for our visit, the Resurrection painting, was truly impressive. I also found the collection of early King James(circa 1610) fascinating. Wish they had one of their Wycliff bibles on display. Regretfully photography was not permitted. Exit through the gift shop.

1  Thank chuckfarmer
"worship"
"figures"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Made me thankful hearing the history of preserving my freedom to read my Bible!! Loved the Resurrection Mural (our main reason for coming) the Tapestry of the Century was great. 350 scenes spanning 2000 years. My favorite was the Herald Angel. The white angel is by Fredrick Hart born in Atlanta 1943 raised in Conway Sc. Died 1999. He did the 3 soldiers at the Vietnam display wash DC. I really think he was the best sculpture artist of the century. He said he experienced a vision from God and I think it shows. I found myself dwelling on what I experienced days afterward. Great price for Seniors $10. Open 10-5. We ate lunch over at the mall next door. I could have stayed all day.

1  Thank Annie848
Reviewed 2 May 2014

What a surprise to see valuable art on display in this small, but empowering museum! Donatello's David was one of the first statues that we saw with the gold accents. Gib Singleton's (the one who repaired the "Pieta" in Rome) molds for the 911 display were there. The Resurrection of Christ mural was outstanding. He used different artists for the faces in his painting. Victor blackshear and Michael Dudash, Sallman, Vladimir Gorsky's Tapestry, Another favorite Victor Bregeda's Ever Learning, etc. Go down Park Lane to see beautiful homes. 7500 Park Lane or biblicalarts.org

1  Thank powersusa
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stopped by the museum in January of 2014, on a Sunday. It has a small entrance fee, and donation box if you wish to donate to the cause. There were several good, and well-exhibited sections in the museum. I was looking for more classic pieces, but the museum is mostly modern and contemporary. But, do not let that stop you from visiting. A lot of the newer works were very moving and well done. The did have the bronze Pieta by Michelangelo, as well as his bronze Moses with horns. Several of the classical pieces were from the different schools in Italy of the classical masters. The museum has painting, sculptures, monstrances, several pieces of Jewish ceremonies, catholic pieces as well. There is a really nice section devoted to different Bibles, notably the Wycliff Bible, Martin Luther's Pentateuch, a test page from the Gutenberg Bible, several versions of the King James Bible, the Chained Bible, the Bear Bible, Plantin Polyglot, the Eliot Bible, and several Bibles of different languages. There was a great loop-video of Thomas Kinkade in Israel at the Via Dolorosa, and they also had the completed artwork there. There was a special temporary exhibit called "Temptation," it wasn't our taste of art work, as it was just off sweet desserts, but they were still done nicely. The museum is planning to build the Via Dolorosa on the grounds, and I would be happy to come back and see it!

The staff was very nice, and provided a free audio tour of the entire museum. The gentleman at the door was friendly, and pretty knowledgeable about the works of art [even though he suggested if the museum had any Gustave Dore, that he would be in the modern section [I am a HUGE fan of his work, and wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything]]. The museum has a nice gift shop, with many varying subject and things for sell that don't pertain to religious art, but to art appreciation. I, for instance, picked up Dore's works of the Crusades, Mummies and Magic: Funerary art in Ancient Egypt, and the Gargoyles of Cathedrals. Everything in the shop was reasonably prices, except the jewelry!

4  Thank Maschalismos