“Yeah, you will like it too.”

NYLO Dallas South Side
Ranked #39 of 201 Hotels in Dallas
Reston, Virginia
“Yeah, you will like it too.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed 3 days in this loft style hotel. Nice and friendly staff. The lobby has a bar and pool table if you have some down time. There is a lot to like. The rooftop pool and bar offer a great downtown view. We had a very good lunch in the restaurant with a pastrami sandwich and burger. Both were excellent. My only complaint was the lack of a fitted bottom sheet - I know, picky picky. Since I normally toss and turn in my sleep, the sheets were a mess in the morning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
NYLOManagement, General Manager at NYLO Dallas South Side, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you and glad you enjoyed your stay. I completely understand your issue with the sheets and I don’t know why you didn’t have a fitted bottom sheet. I will certainly look into the matter. Hope you get a chance to visit with us real soon as pool season is in full swing.

-Trent Yoder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

This place is just amazing. I love the Plano location but Dallas has the view.

The top bar opens up to face downtown Dallas, with a sky pool just sitting on the edge. The bar opens up and has a patio with very upscale decor and fire pits so no matter the weather, your visit to the roof will be tolerable.

We had over 50 friends fill the area as well as the normal crowd that was there. It's great for parties and the service was very good. Prices are affordable. With the view, it makes the drinks worth it.

The room was just like any other NYLO, only this building is refurbished and use to be part of the old Sears towers. So you get a little bit of history when you stay.

The rates here are higher than in Plano and I don't think they lower them for the locals on the weekend but it's well worth the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the apartments/condo's across the street, so you don't hav...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

For my wife’s birthday this year, I decided to do something fun and get a hotel room for the weekend. As a Dallas area native, I have stayed in many of the hotels in town and, while there is a certainly a plethora of amazing hotels in Dallas, glitz and difficult parking was not what I was going for in this instance. Plus, I wanted something that was a bit off the beaten path, but still very nice. I settled on the NYLO, which is south of downtown and in a very fun area – next door to South Side on Lamar. It also sits across the street from one of our favorite restaurant/bar/lounges, Sunset Lounge. If you have not been to Sunset Lounge, it is amazing. The food is decadent and mouth-watering, and the drinks are some of the best we have ever had. It’s also nominated for James Beard Award this year for those wonderful drinks.

PROS: The staff at NYLO could not be any more accommodating and friendly, and the room we stayed in was on a corner with gorgeous views of the Dallas skyline. I particularly like the energy-saving feature in the rooms of putting your keycard in a slot that turns on the lights in the room. It’s a very nice touch in a city not particularly known for its energy conservation. The rooftop bar also has unbelievable views of downtown Dallas, and, if it had not been January, the rooftop pool would have been a very inviting place to relax.

CONS: The sleep quality, overall, was fine, but given the hotel building, itself, is a converted, turn-of-the-century commercial building that is, like most buildings of that vintage, not completely soundproof between floors, AND the very nice room we were in was on the floor just underneath the rooftop bar, there was a lot of noise emanating from the bar area that many might complain about. We were bothered by it, but it was not something that earplugs do not solve. My best suggestion is to request a room that is either on a lower floor, with the inoperable, more soundproof windows, or else stay on the side of the building away from the rooftop deck -- where the majority of the ambient noise appears to come from. As for food and drinks in the hotel, it left something to be desired. I mentioned there is a bar on the roof, and, while the views are amazing, the drinks were simply awful. In fact, my wife and I poured them out and walked back across the street with our friends to Sunset Lounge to continue the evening. There is a restaurant on the lobby (ground) level of the hotel. We ate breakfast there once, and, again, it’s nothing to write home about and the wait service was inattentive and distracted. Although we did not order food in the rooftop lounge, I believe the lobby restaurant supplies its food, so use your best judgment.

Given the lessons learned, which are certainly not irreconcilable issues, we would definitely stay here again, and we might do it sooner than later.

Room Tip: As I mentioned in the review, we were on the floor just below the rooftop bar. My best suggestion i...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WShort
So glad you enjoyed your experience at our hotel and I certainly hope to see you sooner than later. Next time you visit, just ask the front desk for a lower floor and they will most certainly accommodate you. We are in the process of changing our menu and I think you will enjoy the changes being made!! Hope to see you soon.

Best Regards,
Trent Yoder
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We loved this hotel! It was very cool as soon as you enter the door with open spaces and mock graffiti on the walls.

The view of downtown from our room had me up all night gazing upon it. The location is a bit south side of the city but no bother really.

A bit more about the rooms - there are purposely unfinished in as much as you get part plastered walls and plumbing. It really adds to the feel of the hotel.

Dallas is also a great place and I can't wait to go back and explore further.

Room Tip: Has valet parking but costs $20
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hechtel-Eksel, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

the hotel looks great and has everything you need
the people were very friendly and check in was breeze
the room was very cool looking and pretty large
we had a nice view of downtown Dallas witch was pretty neat
the bed was extremely comfy and we had a good nights sleep on it
downside in the room once again was that the shower head was in a fixed spot to low for me to stand under it........ so for you taller people keep this in mind , but this problem is something that most US hotels have
the rooftop MINI pool is pretty cool but it,s more like a big tub , no lap swimming possible and the view is killer , the rooftop bar was a nice touch just to bad that when you sit at the bar you can see behind it and it,s dirty ,i mean every were ,and everything even the glasses we got and there were 2 people on duty behind the bar doing nothing but wait for a new order (we were the only ones in the bar) so there was time enough to clean
very lazy attitude when it comes to cleanliness ,and after we noticed all kind of bugs floating in our drinks (after drinking half of it) we left ASAP
breakfast was good , not allot of choice but the important stuff was there
to bad it is an all non smoking hotel and there are no rooms with balcony so you have to walk outside for a smoke
my wife used the gym witch was across from the hotel and it had everything you could need for a good work out
all in all i would stay here again , i just woulden,t use the bar area

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I arrived on a Friday night and the lobby was crazy but then it is more of a bar on the weekend. The front desk didn't seem to like having to check someone in that night. The rooms are nice and urban. There was a Keurig machine in the room but no coffee with caffeine. I suppose that forces a person to the lobby to pay for coffee. I had breakfast a couple times which was slow but ok. My only real complaint was the towels which were very thin and rough. The SODA bar upstairs has an excellent view of the skyline but the service is really slow.

Room Tip: Try for a high floor because the lobby is loud. I was on 5 and didn't hear anything from the bar...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Cedar Hill, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I'd always heard really great things about the Nylo location in Las Colinas, so I was hoping that the Dallas location would be comparable. Unfortunately, it wasn't as expected.Well first of all, the location of the hotel isn't great.I thought I'd made a wrong turn when I got closer to the location because the area didnt look like it would house a "nice" hotel . Upon entrance, I was a little disappointed that it wasn't as nice or spacious as it appeared on the website, but I decided not to let that bother me. Now what did bother me is that there were two ladies at the front "bar" (the check-in counter is literally part of the bar) that didnt say a word to me as I entered. I stood in front of them for a good minute before they said anything at all. So, when they finally attempted to check me in, they informed me that my room wasn't ready (mind you its about 40 minutes after check-in) and there are no other rooms available. I give a bewildered look as I look at my watch and proceede to wait 30 MINUTES until my room was ready. In my book, thats totally unacceptable for any hotel especially for one at the price I paid. Oh, lets not forget that as I was standing at the check-in "bar" the phone rings and one of the receptionist lets out a frustrated "WHAT!?" as though she was irritated about doing her job. Not exactly something I'd think she would do right in front of me. So, I Finally get into my room and again, not what I expected. I get the look that they were going for but it appeared as though they were on a very limited budget. The quality wasn't there at all. I've stayed in hotels a lot cheaper with better quality furnishings and decor. The amentities are limited but they did give one free bottle of water (I'm trying to give credit where I can...lol). The worst part was that the bed was VERY uncomfortable. It was really really hard (so hard that our backs hurt the next morning), there was No mattress cover and the sheet that covered the mattress kept coming untucked. We had to pull the sheet back over the mattress several times through out the night. Also, the walls are obviously paper thin because we heard noise from the restaurant next door and music/talking from events within the hotel from the time we got there until the time we left. Now one thing I did enjoy was the Sodabar. We went up there for a couple of hours and it was pretty nice; especially the view. Unfortunately our waitress never brought our order, and when Iasked her about it after 30 minutes she said she forgot to place it. So all in all, its not a hotel I would stay in again. At least not this location.I may try the one in Las Colinas. I think someone who is younger (I'm only 35 so I'm not that old), will spend most of their time out and about and hasn't experienced staying in a higher quality hotel would love this place.However for the price I paid I expected more. I was really hoping and wanting to love it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank April P
First of all let me apologize for the reception you were given upon arrival at the hotel, something we obviously don’t accept. I also appreciate the feedback regarding your stay and rest assured, we will take your address comments and make it better. Hope you give us another shot. Please contact me directly if you would like to give us another shot.

Best Regards,