“Weekend in Dallas for Lights All Night”

NYLO Dallas South Side
Ranked #43 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Houston
“Weekend in Dallas for Lights All Night”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a tad bit late but still worth the review of this awesome hotel. We wnt in December of 2013 for the Lights all Night concert and to visit some friends. This hotel is very different and very cool. Everything like everyone has mentioned is "green". The hotel did a nice job on decorating in a Art Deco Style. The rooms are not the biggest but big enough for what you need. The atmosphere in this hotel is very calm and smooth. We received great service from the valet till check out. You cannot miss the view from the bar uptop, even though it was cold during this time they had a fire going on out there to make it comfortable. My wife and I enjoyed some drinks and the skyline before we went out each night. We walked to the convention Center which was about a 10 min. walk . This place is very unique and I recommend anyone to try this.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
NYLOManagement, General Manager at NYLO Dallas South Side, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Lights All Night was a great weekend! Glad you choose NYLO South Side for your choice in hotels!! Hope you get a chance to visit us now that the pool is in full swing.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
WAXAHACHIE
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I surprised my husband with a weekend at the NYLO for our anniversary and we found it perfect for a romantic getaway. We walked in the lobby and were transported to Chicago or New York. The rooftop terrace offered fantastic views of the Dallas skyline - day or night and our room had a true loft feel.We loved the exposed brick walls, polished concrete floors and original artwork. For a romantic weekend or staycation, the NYLO is a great choice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
So glad we could be part of such an important day for the two of you! Hopefully you can make it again next year and make this a tradition!!!
Montezuma, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We arrived late Friday night & was told by an employee to park in a side lot. When we went to leave the hotel the next morning our vehicle was the only one in the open lot. Turns out we were very lucky our car didn't get towed as this was their overflow lot & was for valet only. The bar is open to the public at night so it can get a bit loud & crazy. Drinks there were very expensive! $20 for a mixed drink & a beer! One of the reasons we booked this hotel was because it advertised a free shuttle. We used it to go to a concert 3 miles from the hotel & were told it would run until 11. We called them at 10:55 & got told the shuttle had just left the venue & would not be coming to pick us up. So we asked them to call us a cab which they wouldn't do. It took us over an hour to find someone to give us a ride & cost us $60 to go 3 miles. The next night we also tried to use the shuttle but was told there was no one there to drive it. Had to pay for a cab again. We were very disappointed by this as the shuttle service was one of the main reasons we chose NYLO. If we had know we were going to have to pay for cabs all weekend we would have looked for a cheaper hotel. The room was clean & the beds were really comfy. However a room down the hall flooded which caused water damage in several rooms. So there was a bad smell in the hall. Not the hotel's fault but when added in with the parking fiasco & the lack of the shuttle & the poor customer service, the NYLO over all was a disappointment.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the top floors, the walls are thin & with the bar on top it would be LOU...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank JDS0510
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I’m not sure what lot you parked in but rest assured you were in no danger of being towed. As for the shuttle, not sure why you were told that it couldn’t pick you up or that we didn’t have staff but I will address with my team to make sure this doesn’t happen in the future as our shuttle is an important amenity to the hotel. If you would like to give us another chance, please contact me directly and I will personally make sure your stay is an enjoyable one.

Kindest Regards,
Trent Yoder
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our anniversary as a trip away from home. We loved the loft style of the room. The room was clean, the bed was beyond comfortable, the pillows were perfect. The hotel bar/pool area was great with an amazing view of downtown! The bartenders were attentive, but the drinks weren't cheap, keep that in mind. It was a great location, right outside of downtown, and away from the business. Overall, we loved this hotel and will be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed 3 days in this loft style hotel. Nice and friendly staff. The lobby has a bar and pool table if you have some down time. There is a lot to like. The rooftop pool and bar offer a great downtown view. We had a very good lunch in the restaurant with a pastrami sandwich and burger. Both were excellent. My only complaint was the lack of a fitted bottom sheet - I know, picky picky. Since I normally toss and turn in my sleep, the sheets were a mess in the morning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you and glad you enjoyed your stay. I completely understand your issue with the sheets and I don’t know why you didn’t have a fitted bottom sheet. I will certainly look into the matter. Hope you get a chance to visit with us real soon as pool season is in full swing.

-Trent Yoder
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This place is just amazing. I love the Plano location but Dallas has the view.

The top bar opens up to face downtown Dallas, with a sky pool just sitting on the edge. The bar opens up and has a patio with very upscale decor and fire pits so no matter the weather, your visit to the roof will be tolerable.

We had over 50 friends fill the area as well as the normal crowd that was there. It's great for parties and the service was very good. Prices are affordable. With the view, it makes the drinks worth it.

The room was just like any other NYLO, only this building is refurbished and use to be part of the old Sears towers. So you get a little bit of history when you stay.

The rates here are higher than in Plano and I don't think they lower them for the locals on the weekend but it's well worth the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the apartments/condo's across the street, so you don't hav...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 9 May 2014

For my wife’s birthday this year, I decided to do something fun and get a hotel room for the weekend. As a Dallas area native, I have stayed in many of the hotels in town and, while there is a certainly a plethora of amazing hotels in Dallas, glitz and difficult parking was not what I was going for in this instance. Plus, I wanted something that was a bit off the beaten path, but still very nice. I settled on the NYLO, which is south of downtown and in a very fun area – next door to South Side on Lamar. It also sits across the street from one of our favorite restaurant/bar/lounges, Sunset Lounge. If you have not been to Sunset Lounge, it is amazing. The food is decadent and mouth-watering, and the drinks are some of the best we have ever had. It’s also nominated for James Beard Award this year for those wonderful drinks.

PROS: The staff at NYLO could not be any more accommodating and friendly, and the room we stayed in was on a corner with gorgeous views of the Dallas skyline. I particularly like the energy-saving feature in the rooms of putting your keycard in a slot that turns on the lights in the room. It’s a very nice touch in a city not particularly known for its energy conservation. The rooftop bar also has unbelievable views of downtown Dallas, and, if it had not been January, the rooftop pool would have been a very inviting place to relax.

CONS: The sleep quality, overall, was fine, but given the hotel building, itself, is a converted, turn-of-the-century commercial building that is, like most buildings of that vintage, not completely soundproof between floors, AND the very nice room we were in was on the floor just underneath the rooftop bar, there was a lot of noise emanating from the bar area that many might complain about. We were bothered by it, but it was not something that earplugs do not solve. My best suggestion is to request a room that is either on a lower floor, with the inoperable, more soundproof windows, or else stay on the side of the building away from the rooftop deck -- where the majority of the ambient noise appears to come from. As for food and drinks in the hotel, it left something to be desired. I mentioned there is a bar on the roof, and, while the views are amazing, the drinks were simply awful. In fact, my wife and I poured them out and walked back across the street with our friends to Sunset Lounge to continue the evening. There is a restaurant on the lobby (ground) level of the hotel. We ate breakfast there once, and, again, it’s nothing to write home about and the wait service was inattentive and distracted. Although we did not order food in the rooftop lounge, I believe the lobby restaurant supplies its food, so use your best judgment.

Given the lessons learned, which are certainly not irreconcilable issues, we would definitely stay here again, and we might do it sooner than later.

Room Tip: As I mentioned in the review, we were on the floor just below the rooftop bar. My best suggestion i...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WShort
So glad you enjoyed your experience at our hotel and I certainly hope to see you sooner than later. Next time you visit, just ask the front desk for a lower floor and they will most certainly accommodate you. We are in the process of changing our menu and I think you will enjoy the changes being made!! Hope to see you soon.

Best Regards,