“Very good for the food, but bumped up to excellent for suprisingly good owner/service”
Review of The Pizza Guy

The Pizza Guy
Ranked #1,249 of 3,710 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I usually pass on most new pizza places around here because they are seldom worth even a single try. But somehow this little dive-ish place caught my eye (maybe it was the hippyish signage?), so rather than ignore it, I decided to give it a google search, and was surprised to see the high user rating, so, added it to my short "try list".

True to the ratings, the pizza was in fact very good - a lot better than expected.
THe owner uses top quality mozzarella, and home made sauce.
THe only "issue" to me, a native NY'er, is, and the owner very openly acknowledges this and even volunteers it, is that the crust isn't quite NY crust (presumably due tot he type of pizza oven used, according tot he owner). He does make it appropriately thin, as it should be, but the oven seems to cook it different than authentic NY style.

Stull, the ingredients were surprisingly solid, bringing my rating to "very good".
But on top of that, the owner is an amazingly friendly and creative guy, and really loves pizza and his Italian heritage (something you don't often encounter).
As an example of his characteristics, they offer free ice cold draft beer while you're there - be it if you eat in, or even just awaiting your pizza !
Yes, I said FREE ! Not sure how long that will last, and ironically, I'm not a beer drinker, yet still, just the fact he is doing this, with no strings attached, exemplifies how cool a guy, and place this is.
...so in a very rare happening, I am actually bumping my pure food rating up a notch from "very good to "Excellent".

Reviewed 31 March 2012

This place is under new management and wow what a great change! The pizza is incredible and always fresh and hot. The wings are great to. Love the new crazy sticks for dessert. Something different and absolutely yummy! Finally a great place to go for lunch or dinner!!

Reviewed 30 March 2012

This was my first experience with The Pizza Guy, and I couldn't have been more pleased...I started with the Caesar Salad and for under $3, I was expecting a lettuce leaf dipped in dressing. Surprisingly, it was quite large. The dressing was very tasty and just the right amount. Again, thinking the salad would be minuscule, I ordered 10 wings. There was a pretty wide variety of flavors and I had never had Lemmon-pepper wings...WOW! They were really good! I will definitely be ordering more!

Lastly, was the pizza. Now I'm certainly not a connoisseur, but I found it to be as good or better than most I've had. Not too much bread, "enough" sauce and the flavor was quite tasty! All in all, I think I've found my new pizza, salad and wing stop!!

Aside from the good food, this review would be incomplete without a mention of the service. I've read earlier posts and it seems there had recently been a change of ownership. I think I heard the owner being called Brian and he couldn't have been more hospitable. Extremely friendly, very eager to please and genuinely interested in his customer's satisfaction.

My lasting impression? Great food at a great price with fantastic service...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

1  Thank IBStoney
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Sorry Pizza Guy, your pizza is a lot like the old style Dominos - now if you liked that style then this is your place. The sauce is a bit overpowered by garlic, the dough is too thick and somewhat chewy. Overall, ok but nothing special. Recently reopened we gave it another shot. There are better choices in the near area and much better choices if you are willing to go for a short drive.

Reviewed 21 January 2012

We have ordered pizza and wings from Pizza Guy for many years. Both were excellent.
A few weeks ago Pizza Guy was closed. We were told it was being remodeled. Finally it reopened.
I ordered wings for lunch and they were dry and simply not the same. I wondered why.
We ordered Pizza and wings home delivery and were told it would be delivered in 30 minutes.
An hour later we called. Prior to hanging up on on us we were told they could not find our order and they had no wings.
After the call we went to a fast food restaurant. When we got home, the delivery man was at our front door (90 minutes after we ordered). We told him to take it back.
We will never order pizza or wings again from Pizza Guy.