Taverna
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Oak Lawn
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I went in here thinking it was the same Lombardy family from NYC that churn out such awesome pizzas. Well, I was wrong. Taverna is not related to the NYC Lombardy family, but the pizza I ad was equally good. It is rare to find a Bianca (white) pizza, and I when I see one on the menu, I know I am in an authentic place. I have never been let down by any pizza place that serves Bianca pizza. Make that your criteria, even if you don't order it.

The place is packed, and on a Thurs night, it was overflowing while almost all other neighboring places were struggling to fill up. It has the true Italian tavern ambience, with warm, friendly service to match. Pastas did not look very appealing (except the pumpkin stuffed boat pasta). Stick with the appetizers and the pizza. Wine selection was good. Prices are a tad on the higher side, but well worth it. Without trying any other pizza in Dallas, I am almost certain this is the best!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Our first visit to the new location of Taverna, next door to one of our favorite neighborhood places, Toulouse. Loved the spacious bar and renovations and was surprised to see a former valet driveway transformed into a great outdoor patio complete with twinkling lights overhead and bright red table cloths. Really loved the menu options and there were several specials. Sure this location can get some serious Dallas sun in the afternoon and it's a busy corner but once inside you can relax and enjoy the Uptown hustle and bustle.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

First visit to this bustling restaurant near main pedestrian trail in a nice area to walk/shop. This is a fairly new location with protected outdoor seating (gets direct sun in the afternoon so may prove to be hot in Dallas summer). Waitstaff was outstanding; food was very good and reasonably priced. They have a popular brunch on Sunday with $2 mimosas. May have to go back to try it! Was not terribly crowded at the time we went--suspect it is really loud when crowded. Would most likely need to use valet parking at busy times-the area in general is short of parking. Overall a good place to go for basic Italian food that tastes homemade.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Ordered off the menu and had a great meal on NYE. The service and the wine were delicious. They don't take reservations so we got there early and had a great meal.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I recently visited for the first time on 12/23. I had to circle around a second time after I realized there was no parking available and used their valet service (5.00). The restaurant had a nice atmosphere, but it was uncomfortably packed. I don't mind a full restaurant, but when you are practically sitting on top of each other, it takes away from the experience. Our table was near the window from which the servers pick up the meals, so anytime someone from my table had to go to the restroom, we would have to pause for the various servers coming or going (most did give us the right of way if you will). I expected that bread would be a given at an Italian restaurant, but we had to ask for some after 20 minutes.

Everyone seemed to enjoy their food and I found it to be neither great or bad, just average. I will probably visit again to see if I have a better experience when it is less crowded.