W Dallas Victory Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Good 3.5/5
  • Room Service
1,025 results
All reviewscook hallamerican airlines centerbliss spaliving room barbliss productsaa centerinfinity poolhouse of bluesroom servicebathroom areaupon checkcorner roomfitness centervaletconcerthipnikki
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 October 2010

I stayed at the W Dallas Victory for 5 nights the week of October 10th. I have stayed at other W Hotels in the past and had extremely high expectations for this stay based on experience. When we got to our room, we were actually shocked at how much smaller it was than other W Hotels. Someone in the elevator actually mentioned it to us on our way up and said that this hotels rooms were a joke compared to other W Hotels - unless you book a room on a higher floor.

Upon walking into our room, we immediately noticed a strong odor of urine in the room. We complained twice before we were moved (the first time, they sent someone up to spray a fragrance in the room to cover up the odor).

The second room we were in had a malfunctioning lock. I found this out after leaving the room to get coffee the 2nd morning and I forgot my room key. My wife was in the shower, so I decided to try turning the door handle. To my utter shock and horror - it opened. I tried several times to get it to function properly and found that it did not work at all. Fortunately, we use the deadbolt and other locking mechanism when in the room through the night (as should everybody else). Telling the front desk about this issue resolved this problem without any issues.

Another day, we were gone in the morning, and planned on coming back at around 3:30 or 4:00. We told the front desk so we could make sure our room was attended to while we were gone. Unfortunately, when we returned, our room was as we had left it in the morning. We called the front desk and told them to send up towels, as we would need to shower before leaving again. Over an hour went by without any towels. I called again and finally after 25 minutes got a knock on my door. It was the housekeeper there to clean the room. She knew absolutely NOTHING about the towels.

We also had issues with the wall outlets during our stay. We could not get our cell phones, laptops, etc. to charge. We unplugged the alarm clock and still had no luck - waking up in the morning with dead electronics.

We told the front desk about this problem the first morning and they said they would send someone up to check it out. The next morning, we complained again. We were told by the person at the desk that we were supposed to have the "master" wall switch turned on for the outlets to work. She said that someone should have let us know this when we checked in. Nobody did.

Thinking we were missing the master switch on the wall, we turned on all switches the next night, sleeping with lights on and still woke up the last morning with dead batteries. Telling the front desk only got us an apology and offer to use the outlets in the bar.

I've had some poor experiences at other hotels in the past and when I raised the issue, I was compensated with more than just an apology - a free night, a spa treatment, etc. This hotel would only offer a half hearted apology.

Due to my experience, I emailed the hotel manager with pretty much the same as above. It took 5 days with no response before I emailed the corporate email address. Finally, on the 5th day, I finally got a response from the hotel manager's assistant. The response was nice and was filled with apologies. In the end, I was offered with an "added apology from the hotel" with 3,000 SPG points.

In the meantime, I received a response from Starwood Hotels customer service and was given this response:

"I have reviewed your file very carefully, and do believe the compensation offered is fair. The Starpoints could be used towards a free night stay in most participating hotels worldwide (Please note, the number of Starpoints required for a free night differs depending on the hotel category). I understand this may not be what you were hoping for, but I assure you that this decision was based on facts and careful research. In accordance with our practice, your concerns have been addressed with the hotel General Manager. The file has been closed. "

I was not going to let this experience turn me off completely from W Hotels, but the email I got from Starwood changed my mind of that.

In all, I do think this is a nice hotel - I just had a lousy experience topped off with lousy customer service.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank briguy73
wdallas, General Manager at W Dallas Victory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2010

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that we were not able to WOW you during your W Experience.

I understand that you have already conversed with my assistant in regards to your opportunities.

If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the hotel and ask to speak to the General Manager.

Warmest,
Thomas C. General Manager of W Dallas

Reviewed 23 October 2010

I've stayed at this W several times and each trip there were some issues, but as it is very close to the Dallas Market Center we kept booking there. This trip will be the last. We returned at 4:30 from the market, and the room hadn't been cleaned. We called the front desk, and were informed that they were going "green" and you had to request to have the room made up...we were not informed of this at check in nor was there a card in the room regarding this policy. They did send up someone with fresh towels at our request. Additionally, the mini bar was never replenished but the ice bucket had mysteriously dissapeared, so someone had been in our room. After yet another call, someone arrived with an ice bucket. We asked to speak to the manager on duty. He did say it was their policy to not clean the roomsexcept by request because they were going "green". (This was puzzling, because the room was cleaned after the first night stay with no request) Other problems: After we arrived, I tried to access their wifi service , as I had on previous stays. I had to call the front desk (twice) for assistance. The third call they transferred me to Tech Support. The support agent had me change several settings in my computer, (about 15 minutes) he said he could "see" my computer but needed me to change some more settings and be on hold for awhile. I started to get a bad feeling about the whole thing, then opted not to continue, and went without my computer for the rest of the stay. I was stunned to see a $2 outgoing charge for the call on our bill. Obtaining a hot shower or bath was problematic, as the water in the tub/shower took almost 10 minutes to get warm and a then longer for hot. (hmm...not so green...) The movie we wanted to watch wouldn't load, and took three calls to the front desk and a visit from maintenence. My companion ordered a bottle of wine with room service, only a glass was sent. When she asked about it, she said that she was only charged for the glass. When she checked the bill, she had been charged for the whole bottle ($48) The bellmen, room service servers and valets were great...friendly and efficient. However, we found the front desk staff to be somewhat indifferent to our problems.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank robmlz
Reviewed 19 September 2010

If you are over 25 you may want to stay somewhere else. We were there to celebrate a 40th birthday and were carded and key checked everytime we needed to go up the elevator.
No alcohol was allowed to be taken up to the rooms so forget trying to bring up a few bottles of wine! I can understand the need for all of the restrictions when you are dealing with a younger clientele...and there were young people everywhere....which is my point...if you are older, looking for a nice evening, superior service and relaxation do not go to the W!

• Stayed: September 2010
2  Thank dillistone
Reviewed 15 September 2010

It is a little confusing on how to get there. U have to pay $24 for valet or park across the street for $10. When I went to check-in they said my room was not ready. After I had written a note that I needed to check-in early. The manager gave me a downgraded room that was ready and free drinks at hotel bar to make it up. Then the iron didn't work and the ac only got down to 65 degrees. And absolutely no vending machine. I had to pay $7 for a small bag of pretzels. Pool was closed due to inclement weather. Not sure if I would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank 1234maso
Reviewed 7 September 2010

This is my 1st stay at a W (I generally don't splurge on hotels, & didn't this time either...my girlfriend used her rewards points). Let's just say, I don't have $300/night to burn on a room...but if I did...I would prolly choose to burn it here. Ideal place for the sassy singles. Rooms were extremely comfortable, great views of the city, and excellent location for accessing nightlife. On Saturday night, we went to the Ghostbar on the 33rd floor...great music and we didn't spend a dime on alcohol since I would easily say the ratio of men to women had to be 4:1. The crowd there wasn't THAT spectacular, but sufficed. A couple of genuine creepy looking guys and eccentric weirdos that made us feel uncomfortable (I know this used to be quite the hotspot 2 years ago, cannot say the same now). Back to the room: the mini bar prices in-room were excessive, even by luxury standards. $13 for coffee? Are you crazy...but since we saw no starbucks within quick walking distance...boo. The pool on the 16th floor is insane...but if you are trying to sunbathe...eh, not so much! We went out there around 1:30 and had to get in the cold water and cross to the back corner of the pool to find some sun. This place is DEFINITELY geared to the singles, once again (which we were, but one friend had her kids). DO NOT take the kiddos to the pool after 3 pm on a weekend. Let me explain...this place is aimed to the partying late 20 & early 30 somethings....the crowd we observed at 6 pm much different than the noon crowd. Noon crowd is still on the safe side....but the later and later it gets....here comes the crowd that probably got home at 6 am, rather than 230am. This crowd also contains ppl that are on who knows what exotic designer cocktail drugs b/c we saw a couple having sex in the pool....yup! Oh, did I mention there were kids in the pool at the time & plenty of other ppl. Geez, this isn't Rehab Las Vegas! Go to your room! The pool isn't THAT big, so it is not like they were hiding. And if they weren't having sex, then hunny, they sure did a good job of fooling the rest of us. Anyways, I'll have to say there's another downside to this hotel...the location/neighborhood is blah! We chose to walk to the nearby dining options and it felt like we were walking in a ghosttown....I was waiting for a tumbleweed to flutter by....On a 2.5 block walk to the House of Blues and Hooters around 5 pm....we saw 0 other ppl walking around. what gives?!?!!? I'm from Austin...people are ALWAYS walking around outside...this is just weird to see so much desolation/abandonment. I couldn't even tell if House of Blues was open b/c there wasn't anyone parked in the lot...we chose Hooters, which had ppl, but still...so desolate! I imagine when the Mavs are playing across the street at the American Airlines center, that the place is alive, but at the moment....dead! Word from some locals is that this Victory Park area is losing money fast and that the investors are quickly selling their shares...shame, b/c it was a cool idea. Meanwhile, the W, as a hotel, is nice. Oh, and yes, they do not have a separate shower area, so you have to draw the curtains....just weird. BUT, they have plenty of mirrors, but lighting not great. And definitely not enough plugs...when will hotels learn that with all technology requiring charging....laptops, phones, etc....we need more outlets!!!! OH...parking situation sucks....$24 to valet? really? This is Dallas, not Miami, NYC, or LA. There is a garage across the street that I got lucky and only paid $5 to park from Saturday to Monday...but I snuck in during nightclub parking hours and then did NOT move my car again til Monday checkout time....cabbed it to the clubs downtown b/c they were less than a $10 ride. OHHHHH...and the cabs charge $2 more per person, so keep that in mind....wtf? I guess I am spoiled in Austin where you can put 4 ppl in a cab and if it only costs $5 to get where you are going, then that's it...no "Per person" addtl fee.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends