“Very Pleasant Stay”

Fairmont Dallas
Ranked #18 of 212 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We were greeted initially by the most engaging Bell Man - Mr. Tony Bennett. He was gracious, informative, and courteous. The entire staff was welcoming and hospitable, and generally called us by name the entire time of our stay. The food at the Pyramid Restaurant was healthy eating with a Southwestern flair at it's finest! Honey from the hotel roof aviary, and a willingness by every waiter, waitress and other staff to give us what we requested. Top notch! There is also an impressive art collection in The Fairmont Dallas - beautiful.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer excellent views of Down town Dallas' architecture.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
KatieNorwood, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. We are delighted that you received a warm welcome from Tony Bennett and that hotel colleagues addressed you by name. Our colleagues have a passion for providing exceptional, warm service. I am also pleased that you enjoyed cuisine at The Pyramid Restaurant as well as the hotel's extensive collection of art. As the only hotel in the Dallas Arts District, we support the local art community through an Artist in Residence program and partnerships with various arts institutions. Thank you again for sharing, and we hope you will visit The Fairmont Dallas again very soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,203)

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed here at the same time a large conference was taking place and got bad service the whole time. Had to wait a few hours to get our room, bartenders were rude. Otherwise the building is beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Enjoyed the beautiful hotel. Stayed on the 18th floor. The view was amazing. The windows are on two different sides of the room. The bed was heavenly. This floor offers a private breakfast area, along with cocktail hour. I pass by the hotel everyday on my way to work. My husband surprised me on the way home. Great weekend at the Fairmont. Look forward to going back to the 18th floor.

Room Tip: Always ask for an upgrade. You may have to pay a little extra but it is worth it. Our room was on...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The hotel staff here alone make it worth your visit! Kevin and Tony Bennett in Bellman Services will go above and beyond to help you in every way! Phillip Powell in Concierge is always willing to make your stay pleasurable. These guys are AMAZING and always smiling, always pleasant, will make you laugh, and just overall make you realize what a blessing it is to be surrounded by positive people who love what they do!!!
Great bar also and Pyramid restaurant!!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Loved the hotel for the most part. My room (18th fl) was excellent and I had access to the Premium Gold Lounge and its amenities. It was lovely. However, there was one staff member there who was very unpleasant to the guests (she worked the morning shift). I was embarrassed for her because of the way she spoke to the guests. The equipment in the gym was great but there was no way in which to sanitize the equipment after it was used. I would think this would be a health code violation. Lastly, as I was having dinner in the restaurant one evening a black gentleman was being seated where he was being grilled by the staff as to whether he was a guest and did he have the credentials to prove it? I did not see this happen with any other guest during my four days stay there who ate in the restaurant. I regret not having said this to the manager as it is not the way to treat people. Overall, the staff really is extremely accommodating and I enjoyed my stay there very much!

Room Tip: Room was excellent. I had a corner room which was very sunny and the service was great!
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel last night (February 22, 2014).

Typical Fairmont service, which is usually pretty solid. Hotel is in decent condition. Lobby is spacious. Hotel has two towers. I stayed in the North tower. Not sure if there is any difference between the two. Gold floors are North tower only. Did not eat at the restaurant so no comment.

Elevators can be very slow. If there is a sizeable convention or conference going on, plan accordingly. The back stairwells are grimy: some of the worst I have ever seen. I mostly took the back stairs due to elevators being slow. I saw one poor lady run out of time and she had the wise idea of taking her high heels off in the stairwell. She regretted that with every step I would think.

Room was in decent condition. A little on the small side. Sheets on the bed were of average quality (no egyptian cotton or anything of quality). Pillows were substandard. They were not very soft and more brick-like in terms of shape and softness. If you need a down pillow or a soft synthetic or memory foam, you are going to be in big trouble. It is likely they have extra pillows or something on request, but I did not try. I just acknowledged the pillows were low grade just before I went unconscious (I sleep pretty deep usually).

The shower was nice to look at, but it was lacking in the construction quality. Sometimes I wonder, in all the hotels I stay at, as to why the trades people can't put things together with straight lines and at least some attention to detail. The door did not shut properly, the water control handle was upside down (but probably due to the set screw not being fastened as it fell off in my hand immediately). The water pressure was anemic and could not do any justice to the sunflower-style shower head.

The Gold lounge, typically excellent, lived up to expectation. Staff there were very friendly and accommodating. They really were helpful. Willing to chat a little bit but if you were doing some work, they knew to give you some space. Food was pleasant and a great touch was two sides to the lounge. On one side, more jovial and interactive. People chatting and engaged with one another. The other side was quiet, with a few comfy chairs and tables plus a large screen TV. If you can afford the Gold floor, the lounge and its staff elevates your quality of stay significantly.

One foible on the service: The evening before the Olympic Men's gold hockey game, I mentioned to one of the lounge staff that the game began at 6:00 am local time. Since I did not want to wake up my wife at 6 am on Sunday, she indicated that I should be able to get into the lounge a little earlier (opens at 6 on weekdays, but 7 on a Sunday). At 5:45 am, I called down to the front desk to help out a deprived Canadian looking for a hockey fix. No such luck. I was greeted with a curt, "Sorry, its closed". No luck. I went down to the concierge desk, much the same. They did say I could watch in the bar (immediately beside the front desk, wide open to the lobby), but no one knew where the remote was to get the right channel. I bumped into a maintenance fellow. I asked about the fitness centre. Yes, there is a TV there. I watch the first two periods down there until the lounge opened. My thought: if someone wakes up at 5:30 in the morning to watch a game, help the poor sucker out.

Conclusion: Overall, some pluses, some minuses. If this hotel wants to be a top contender, its going to have to improve some of the facility elements. However, as is, good service and stay on the Gold floor if possible.

1  Thank Ron O
Reviewed 21 February 2014

The room was great, room service was good, restaurant food was good, but way overpriced.

You may think you're getting a bargain, but wait until you see the final bill. Also, if you prefer to pay upfront and not feel like you're getting ripped off the whole stay, look elsewhere.

First, there's valet parking only (and slow valet at that; would have been much quicker and easier to walk to my car). $25/night.

The restaurant food is overpriced, but room service food is an acceptable value (20% tip is mandatory). The fancy water in the rooms is easy to go without, but $7.50 for a bottle of water, really?

My wife had a bad headache, so I bought some Tylenol at the gift shop. Three doses of Tylenol? $10.50.

Oh, and high speed internet. You know, the stuff that's free at any Super 8? Try $15 (per night?) for slow internet, and $25 for fast. How tacky can you be?

Also, we set our check-in at 3:00, arrived passed 4, and our room still wasn't ready. Had to wait another 15-20 minutes.

Did I mention the $25/night valet is slow? You're supposed to be able to call for it in your room before going down, but anytime that it's busy, they don't let you do that, and you have to come down with your ticket and wait in the relative cold for you car for 5-10 minutes.

We still had a good time, but getting over the being-taken feeling is pretty hard for anyone with a frugal bone in his body.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple