“Decent Place, Grossly over priced”

The Fairmont Dallas
Ranked #18 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I travel fairly extensively. I have stayed in many different hotels/ brands, etc. This is a beautiful facility but given the price point, will not be on my personal list of hotels.

Overall it isn't a bad experience but there was not real flare to drive the price point upward to over $200 a night. I asked because I plan on taking the wife and kids on a weekend getaway in May. Standard rate was $208. The location is decent, rooms are nice enough, and staff is professional as expected but all of this is readily available in a Marriot Chain and a much lower price point.

The sleep quality was good, the hotel was fairly quiet (given there was a nationals volley ball tournament in town). However, I did miss out on an upgrade that was offered to my senior colleague, after I booked a room for him (Omni was sold out). That was gravely disappointing. That same upgrade was never offered to me... and I would have taken it given it was a corporate funded stay. My room, 1020 was clean and in good shape. There were a few little hiccups in the room but nothing worth the complaint.

Some of the staff are a bit pushy. I know they depend on tips as well as their income but I am able to lift my own bag. I started taking the west entrance to keep from having some try and call a taxi every time I walked out the door.

Overall, not a keeper for me. I'm sure there is a market for hotels such as this but this will not be a personal choice.

The Breakdown

The Good:
* Beautiful Lobby
* Polite People
* Decent Location (Near Several Museums)

The Bad:
* Price point is my major hitch. I cannot justify $208 a night in this facility. It simply did not do enough to set itself apart for this price point.
* Room would get warm in the afternoon and the cooling was very inconsistent.
* Inconsistent hot water.
* "Eager" help staff. If you tip, as you should, this adds up FAST!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
KatieNorwood, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent weekend getaway at The Fairmont Dallas. We are disappointed to hear that you felt that your guest room rate was elevated. We appreciate your kind words regarding our professional staff and ideal location. We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Wonderful location, heart of Dallas. Hotel has great employees who really care about my stay and needs. If you plan on visiting Dallas this is a great Hotel that has plenty to offer. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
KatieNorwood, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Hello and thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. I am pleased that your stay at The Fairmont Dallas during the Final Four. We are delighted that you received exceptional service from our hotel team. As you mentioned, our location is ideal for experiencing downtown, Uptown, the Dallas Arts District and more. We hope that you will visit again on your next trip to Dallas!

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Checking in was rocky. Our room was given to another guest. We booked 3 months in advance. Management apologized and gave us a discount and found us the right room the next day. The hotel and the rooms are beautiful. We couldn't be more happy. We were on the 16th floor, North Tower and had a great view of the city. When we were moved we were put on the 7th floor. Not such a great view. We were pleased with the great customer service from all the staff members, especially Tony B. Thank You Fairmont for making our trip to Dallas a memorable one :)

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Restful, relaxing and pampered are the perfect description for our stay.
Would definitely stay again. Be sure to check out the Gold floor. Worth the little extra for all the added benefits. Location is in the heart of Dallas.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Crednib

Hello and thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay at The Fairmont Dallas. We are very happy to hear that you had a relaxing experience and enjoyed our Fairmont Gold level, which offers exclusive access and complimentary breakfast. I am glad that you enjoyed our city-center location in the downtown Dallas Arts District. Thank you again for choosing our hotel, and we hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I left my purse in the cab and the bellman went above and beyond to help me track it down. They were so helpful. The rooms were clean and the check in clerk was very friendly and helpful as we'll customer service is definitely important to them.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed at this classic hotel in Downtown Dallas for a Saturday night.

The one down side...and a big let down for me....the bathroom was tiny!! I was shocked. The room, a double queen, was huge, with big windows and a walk in closet...but the bathroom didn't seem to match. I felt crowded and didn't feel comfortable in the shower. There was literally limited room to turn around in the bathroom. And women....be warned, there's no vanity area or space.

For one night..it wasn't a huge issue, but I was disappointed with the bathroom situation .

With that, all else was great. The room was very clean, well lit, quiet, and beds were comfortable.

Valet was busy but seemed to handle the crowds well, including a swift retrieval upon check out.

I visited the bar...good service, though one bartender couldn't handle multiple orders.

The bar got very crowded. Good bar food menu as well. Pyramid restaurant is in the lobby and looks great, upper end...but I didn't eat there.

The lobby was great, clean and I felt comfortable and safe.

Location was easy and within walking distance to nightlife, museums, parks, and tons of restaurants!

I would visit again, but not for multiple nights...because of the tiny bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask about the bathrooms...mine was tiny...but I understand some rooms had better bathrooms.