“There is more than just good design...”

Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown
Ranked #37 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Düsseldorf
“There is more than just good design...”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed at the Indigo Dallas Downtown recently and chose it because of its convenient location and the nice design. Arrived at the hotel around noon and was greeted with a very warm welcome by Franklin of the Valet and bell service. Two thumbs up for him and his friendly service. We handed over the car keys to the Valet service (fee of 20 Dollars overnight, although one can use the adjacent parking garage opposite to the hotel) and got already our room at check in. Now that is a very good service at this early time.

The room was nicely designed and decorated, apparently none of the rooms have the same layout due to the old building of 1924. Bright colours and a photo wallpaper made the room look good. Unfortunately it was not that clean. There were hairs on the bed and the room rather dusty and filthy. Some electrical wires were hanging out of the power outlets and paint was all over the cables, mirrors and bathroom tiles. It gave a overall careless impression. Bedding apart from that was good. We had a good nights sleep. We had a room facing the inner courtyard which had therefore no view but therefore was very quiet considering the traffic at the surrounding streets.

The hotel had a breakfast lounge with many options for ok prices. They also offer lunch and dinner there. Internet was free and worked with a password sufficiently. There is also a small business center near the front desk.

The hotel should take more care of the interior after designing it so nicely.

Room Tip: Rooms to the inner courtyard tend to be more quiet though they are lacking a view.
1 Thank Travelnplane
indigodallasgm, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
urlaubsbaerchen-I do apologize for cleanliness issues in your room. I would like to speak with you personally. 214.915.8307-Mike Owen-GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Leominster, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Room was spacious for two people to stay for a week. Living area separate from bedroom with good sized tv in both. Air temp very good. Fridge in room was nice but froze everything but the whiskey. Was a good walking distance to the Sheraton convention center as well as many good restaurants. Dallas is nice during business hours but seems a little sketchy after hours. Rest of my fellow conventioneers stayed there. Rooms were almost twice the price there, very small and without he requested refrigerators. The Indigo has a happy hour with free drinks and food on Wednesday that was never mentioned and I happened upon it after a very long day which was a nice treat. No real welcome to Priority Club guest. In fact that was very strange since that was the tool I used to make the reservation and the front desk said they had no record of it. Priority Club no big benefit anymore anyway. Bed was very comfortable though.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, high like 10th floor. Views are of a typical downtown big city, all buildings.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
fitzbig-Thank you for taking the time to write. Priority Club has changed and now is known as IHG Rewards. I would like you to call me to make sure you were credited the points for your stay. My direct line is 214.915.8307-Mike Owen-General Manager
Franklinton, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 June 2014

From the moment we checked in I knew this was not going to be a pleasant stay.... My corporate office booked our (there were two of us traveling together) rooms back in March 2014 and paid for our stay for the week. We received our confirmation and to our surprise when we arrived the rooms were not paid. The front desk young lady told us she would have to charge us one day until things get sorted out. I was ok with that so I gave her our corporate office travel arranger's name and number. Well first of all that process took longer than we expected and we were tired from the plane ride and hungry. Later that evening my personal credit card sent me an alert stating $1,000.00 some odd dollars was being charged to my account. from the hotel. Naturally I was a bit concern since I was told she was only going to charge me for one night stay. The next day after we returned from class we stopped by the desk and a different front desk attendant was working. We explained the problem to her and it appeared no one contacted our office to straighten the mix up. At that point we were furious and asked to speak to the manager. She explained to us why the card that was used from our office didn't work because it was a Amex ghost card and your hotel required a copy of the front and back of the card when paying by phone. I don't know who took the reservations from our travel arrangers but it sounds like this was not explained to her. Next subject - I was not impressed with my room. My view was facing another part of your building so I couldn't enjoy nature daylight for fear of someone looking into my room since the building was very close. The closet was inside the bathroom so to access it you had to close the bathroom door each time. I ended up leaving the ironing board out in the middle of the floor since I was not about to go through that everyday. There were no dressers so I had to leave my things in my suitcase. I was going to put it on the shelf but it was dirty. The door lock and security latch was weak and I didn't really feel secure. The gap under door was so high the light from the hall shine through (I guess that was your night light). Sliding the newspaper under door scared the crap out of me. Perhaps they should consider just leaving it outside your door. In my previous job I've traveled and stayed at several hotels. I must say I rate this as the worst experience for a downtown hotel and would not recommend it to my worst enemy. Signed A truly unhappy customer.

Room Tip: Don't even think about booking this one....
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
StanG-Thank you for taking the time to write. I apologize and would like to speak with you personally at your convenience. My direct line is 214.915.8307-Mike Owen-GM
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It took me some time to get over the issue with them attempting to charge my card several times which eventually resulted in my bank issuing a fraud alert and deactivating my card. I tried really hard not to let that bother me the entire week. There was also the three different occasions I had to come back downstairs from the 12th floor because my card wouldn't work (yes, three).

Then the one time I ate at the restaurant and ordered a simple salad and it was missing the nuts. And my view was of a brick wall. The closet was in the bathroom behind a curtain.

And NO bathtub. And the water pressure was atrocious. Granted, I have hair of Rapunzel but it literally took me over an hour to wash and rinse my hair. I was looking to just pay a salon to just wash it. I could have washed it in the toilet faster. Had I wanted to wash it I would have had plenty after day 4. The staff kept giving me bottles on top of bottles of shampoo and conditioner. They were literally spilling over the shower shelf.

Aside from that, most of the staff was nice and helpful. The hotel itself wasn't a dump, but has some quirks that make it annoyingly inconvenient. If you're just looking for a place to sleep and don't care about any frills, the bed is freaking awesome!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
indigodallasgm, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
LMParker-Thank you. I would like to personally speak with you regarding your stay. Mike Owen-GM.
214.915.8307
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The hotel itself was nice, but the were problems. First off when I booked the trip I asked for an early check in (1 instead of 3) I was told there would be no problem. There was. When I went to check in they said the room was not ready and their check in time isn't until 3. I explained that I had requested an early check in. They said that didn't matter because they were full the last night so the room was not ready. We ended up having to change in the public bathrooms in order to make in to our plans. They offered to let us check our luggage with them and then told us to leave it in the car when they realized how much we had. I gave my number to the front desk for them to could call me when the room was ready,in order for us to get our things out of our car. They said they would call. They never did. When I finally was able to check in they had me sign for the price of the hotel. It was higher than I was told. I questioned them about it and they said the price difference was because they were full so the price was higher. But the cherry on top of the cake was the Valet. When we arrived we were given the option of parking with the valet or using the parking garage across the street.We were told to park with the Valet there would be a ONE TIME charge of 20 dollars and we could take the car in and out as much as we liked during our visit. Or we could just park in the garage and pay 12 dollars each time we went in and out. We thought we might take the car out so we decided to use the Valet. We ended up walking everywhere we went but that was our fault. However when the bill came two days later (When we checked out) There were two 20 dollar charges on it. I went to the desk about it explaining what I was told and I wouldn't have parked with valet if I knew it was 20 dollars a DAY not a ONE Time charge like I was told. She called the Valet manager and told him the situation to which he replied "Too bad. I'm not taking off the charge" So instead of paying the 12 dollars I would have paid if I was told the truth. I ended up paying 40 dollars plus the tips to the Valet. You will end up paying way more than they quote you and they won't deliver what they promise!

1 Thank smudgedcookies
smudgecookies-Thank you for taking the time to write. It is not a practice to change rates that guests have booked. I am unclear as to what happened, but would like to research. We do not own the garage you are speaking of. We lease spaces for our valet operation. I would like to personally speak with you at your convenience. Mike Owen-GM. My direct line is 214.915.8307
USA
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I cannot recommend this hotel if you require internet access. During my two day stay the bandwidth was so slow it simply could not be used even for email or browsing. I called the tech support number twice and the guy seemed indifferent and tried a few things but nothing helped.

During one hour early in the morning the access was fine, but that suddenly stopped as presumably people woke up and started using the internet. I have a feeling that someone on site is downloading torrents or something and using all the bandwidth, or their wireless antennas have problems.

I am a road warrior and during this two week trip to 5 different hotels in Texas I had no other wifi problems, so this is not some issue with my laptop.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
sfchris-I apologize for the issue you had with the internet. Last week we doubled our bandwidth with the provider and are having no issues at this time.
United States
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is a boutique hotel in a 20's-era building, and the room was small which I expected. However it was comfortable for my husband and me for a little weekend getaway. This particular room did not have a desk so if you are traveling on business, you might want to request a room with one.

Stocked with my favorite Aveda toiletries! Has a nice little bar and coffee/tea bar on the first floor. Has a coffee maker in the room but downstairs served very good coffee and it was convenient, not like at a huge hotel where it's an ordeal to buy coffee in the morning. Valet parking was prompt and friendly.

The decor is bright and cheerful, however I noticed signs of wear. I would expect that the hotel would be doing some renovations soon. It wasn't unbearable but just worn.

One nice thing is that it's part of the Holiday Inn's points program.

I will definitely stay here if we are going to a show at the Majestic Theater as it's a short walk.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
indigodallasgm, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Shepherdess903-Thank you. We have a close relationship with the Majestic. It is a wonderful place to see a show.