“Nice for the money”

Ranked #76 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Canal Winchester, Ohio
“Nice for the money”
Reviewed 4 June 2011

I had to make a trip to Dallas to pick up my kids who live in Texas and I was looking for something that was above Super 8 and Motel 6 quality but for a cheap price. I checked Holiday Inn brands and then looked out the window and seen the Court Yard across the street from my house and decided to check them in Dallas. Went online and checked prices and compared them to the Holiday Inn and seen they were pretty much the same so i booked online with this property. I decided to leave a day early and called to see if I could get the same rate if I arrived earlier and they said no, called reservations and they went ahead and gave me the same rate for both nights (Thurs and Fri $47/night with AAA).

Exiting off the LBJ I realized that this part of town does not look the best. It is the kind of area that has the corner beer/wine store and some thugs hanging out, but I did not let that bother me I felt I was well protected. I arrived at the hotel and checked in and was given room 345 on the third (top) floor.The room was clean but rather small compared to other places I have stayed. It had a 42in LCD cable TV and small bathroom, patio area you could sit on (well, mine you could stand, it was one of the only ones with not furnature) if you wanted to brave the Dallas heat. I then walked to the desk to see what dining options there was since the hotel only serves breakfast. Although the clerk was friendly upon check-in he seemed to act as if coming back was a bother.

Friday I got up and went for breakfast. They have a breakfast buffet with waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuts and gravy and a few other things. The breakfast was ok but nothing to write home about, and this is where i think the Holiday Inn has them beat. They charge $10.95 during the week and for the same food it is $11.95 on the weekend and the food in just plain, nothing special. What I like about Holiday Inn is that if I buy breakfast for me the kids eat free but not so at Court Yard.

On Friday when my kids arrived I inquired about the Sponge Bob packages they were suppose to have for kids, it included a pillow case and some entertainment packs and I think a float toy for the pool, but nobody knew anything of it even though they had it advertised around the property.

One thing I did not like was that they check out out in the middle of the night and go ahead and charge your credit card. I would prefer to see my bill and pay with the method of my choosing, but i admit I had planned on using that card, but in a lot of cases I just pay with cash. Had my bill been wrong I would have had to wait for reversals and such since they charged me as they did.

Over all the place is nice, not as nice as the photos online make it look, but what place is as good as its pics? My bigget complaint was the pillows, they were so thin that it was like not having them. The bed itself was one of the most comfortable beds I have slept on but the pillows did not provide me with a great night sleep.

One thing to note, although the area is not the best, I walked around a bit and felt safe during the day, I did not venture out at night. A little tip: There is a small donut shop down by the liquor store, they have some very good donuts and are cheap;

Room Tip: Ask for the biggest room they have
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank justherenow28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 May 2011

TOOK A ROADTRIP WITH A FRIEND AND THEY BOOKED OUR ROOM HERE AND I WAS NOT DISSAPOINTED. Our room was very clean and we had a neat little balcony that was really cool. The staff was nice and very helpful to us we needed directions to a restaurant, the clerk did a mapquest and printed out directions for us with no problems. Whirlpool was very nice and we also went for a swim in the pool. NEXT TIME IM IN DALLAS THIS IS WHERE I WILL BE STAYING 10-4!

Room Tip: DO YOUR RESEARCH
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
graz
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I stayed there for two nites and it really was worth the money. big rooms, flat screen tv, nice beds. everything clean. i would go there again. the only bad thing: in the bathroom which was tiney by the way laid hairs behind the door and weren´t removed. that´s why i doublechecked the linens but they were ok. the front desk clerk was nice and helpful.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Was in town with my brother to watch the Texas Rangers. Was about 20 miles from the stadium and really wanted to be a little closer. It didnt matter that it was a little further away than we liked because it was easy access on and off I-635 and was a very easy drive. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were nice. Had high speed internet and very clean rooms. I was very surprised at how nice and well maintained this hotel was because of the value in price we received. I expect it to be an older hotel again only because of the cost. At the end of the stay I felt I should have paid more for such a nice hotel and great staff. The beds in the hotel were the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in at a hotel. Over all great experience and will stay again when I'm in town to watch the rangers again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Great hotel for a relaxing few nights away from everything.. Nice, courteous, respectful staff. Clean, quiet.. I enjoyed my stay here a few weeks ago. NO BUGS, NO MOLD SMELL as some one was referring to.. Overall this hotel is my favorite.

Room Tip: upper level, king size room's are great.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 7 October 2010

I stayed at the Courtyard LBJ and found one of the best hotel is Texas. It was very clean, and hotel service was the best around. The manager even took time to visit our table during breakfast to make sure eveything was great with our stay.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2010

My family took a weekend trip to Dallas and absolutely loved this hotel. It was clean, inexpensive, rooms were big, and hotel service was GREAT. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite, I was very pleased at how roomy it was even compared to some of the more expensive 4/5 star hotels my family has stayed at.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family