“A hotel to Avoid”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Dallas Downtown
Ranked #129 of 207 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My business requires a lot of travel, virtually every week, I am in a hotel. This Crowne Plaza ranks as the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I read some positive reviews of this hotel and I really have to question the veracity of those reviews. The only favorable sight I saw was the hotel in my rear view mirror as I was headed to the airport. I waited a couple days before writing this review. Keep in mind that I am a Platinum member in Priority Club and they treated me like crap. Below are some incidents at the hotel and I understood from other guests, they had many of the same complaints.

1. When I arrived, two taxi cab drivers had blocked the driveway and were arguing in the drive way and I had to just park my car there after waiting several minutes for the taxi drivers to leave. I left the car to register and see if the hotel had a valet, which they don't. As I was waiting in line, someone came in the lobby of the hotel and said they were towing my car. The front desk clerk bellowed that in Texas there is a$ 50,000 fine and 20 years in prison for towing a car. I am an attorney, and that is not true. I left the line to go park the car since the guest registration was seemingly taking forever and there was no parking valet. When I returned, more people in line. When I finally finished the 45 minute registration, the clerk was just rude. Also,no mention of my Platinum Status. Also, the hotel has people coming in begging for money and the hotel doesn't say anything to them. The front desk clerk said they only had 2 people on staff that night and one of the employees was not available and he couldn't take care of taxi drivers fighting in the driveway, getting the beggars out of the hotel and registering guests at the same time.

2. I asked for change for $ 100 bill and the front desk couldn't do it.
3. The hotel breakfast buffet doesn't keep the food at temperature. The eggs were ice cold one morning. I noticed the day before the eggs were luke warm, but clearly not a safe temp. to avoid bacteria from forming.
4. My room was not quiet. I could hear street noise all night for 3 nights and the sliding door, leaked.
5. I had to ask for a chair to be delivered to the room. Yes, my room didn't have any chairs to sit.

6. The carpet in the room had an awful odor. I echo some of the comments from the other reviewer named Susan. The carpet in the hall way also looked well worn and just ratty.

7. I found the front desk personnel simply rude and they failed customer service. I asked one night if the hotel had a list of restaurants in the area and the reply I recieved was "NO!" Nothing bu NO! I asked for a late check out and the person on the phone granted my request, and reminded me to stop by the front desk to get my keys re-done. On my way out of the hotel, I stopped by the front desk, and explained what I needed. There were 3 clerks at the front desk all staring at the same computer monitor. One clerk finally looked up and said "Yes?". I explained what I wanted. She replied "what room", She grabbed my keys, updated them and handed them back and didn't say another word. I found that same attitude by any of the front desk clerks I encountered. These people need some serious customer service training as the customer is treated like crap in that hotel.

I did use the hotel van and the 2 van drivers that I encountered were very nice. One van driver asked me about my stay and I related a couple of the above and he just nodded and said that is what you get at this hotel. I think ICH group needs to really evaluate that hotel as a Crowne Plaza.

Again, a hotel to avoid!!

2  Thank 678,855
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear 678855,

We value you as an IHG Rewards Club member and while we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,347)

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Absolutely a great atmosphere, and the lunchtime buffet is amazing. Service is great every time we visit. The staff is truly amazing, especially Maritza, who always has a smile on her face and provides outstanding service. We normally go to the Tuesday buffet, which is bbq, and the food is always superb each time we visit. We first ate at this hotel during lunch a few years back for an office function and have been coming back ever since. You can't beat the price for downtown Dallas. My co-worker got me hooked and I can't wait until next Tuesday!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dennis B
Brian A, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2015

Dear Valued Guest,

We, at the Crowne Plaza Dallas Downtown, appreciate your comments, suggestions, and the fact that you stayed with us. We are currently going back through and touching any reviews that we did not respond to, just to let you, our valued guest know, that we do look at them and appreciate them. We also want all of our guests past, present, and future know that we will address any concerns brought forth, as we attempt to improve our property in every way possible. Thank you all again for your patronage and taking the time to review us here on tripadvisor.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Visiting Dallas, TX on business. Decided to book a stay at the Crowneplaza Dallas Downtown. The rooms where very comfortable and clean. Excellent rate for Downtown Dallas. Had dinner at the restuarant called Thrive. Food and service where exceptional. Had some free time on my hand and the Manager Joe Moreno advised me of places to visit in Dallas. Next I visited the Perot Museum and the Six Floor Kennedy Museum. I had a great time seeing the sites and cannnot stress enought the level of excellence and professionalism from the Manager and the staff.

Room Tip: Excellent rate for a Downtown Dallas Hotel and very close to attractions and the DCC.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I was here on a week vacation.

The hotel is very nice. The front desk staff when checking in very friendly, ran into a few housekeeping girls and they were polite.

My second day at the hotel was pleasant, I was jet lagged so I did not want to leave the room till the after noon. I decided to order room service, they food was great. Room service attendant Deviana was sweet as apple pie. Very nice girl!! I asked her a few questions about where or how I should start off my day, she suggested the Perot Museum. Boy, was she right about the museum amazing.

Rest of the staff was very polite. I'll be back here soon

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Dallas is a typical american city where you can find good restaurants (specially angus meat) and good bars and country style. This hotel is downtown área and very easy to reach other places. Good choice!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Shanna G, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear BbM

Thanks for the review and we hope you return in the future. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Spent 2 nights for business at the Crowne Plaza Dallas downtown. Room is basic, little small, but clean. Single sink in BR, no vanity or shelf. Had to put my toiletries on the toilet tank top :( Nice desk, with chair, also a single lounge chair, no bottled water, just glasses, no closet, but a wardrobe. Breakfast is a buffet or menu. Buffet offered a variety. On site garage parking, addl each night. right in downtown, walking distance to restaurants. Iron Cactus very good Mexican.

Dear JackieMD1

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate your business and we hope you return in the future.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

This hotel yes has a very good location downtown and the views are really nice, I was in the King Room corner 1631. As you entered the hall from the elevator it is obvious just how old this hotel is and when anything was last updated by looking at the faded, dirty carpet. Once I opened my room door there was a strong order almost like cat urine...but it stayed by the front door area.
The bed was the highlight along with the balcony, sheets, pillows mattress all very comfortable and you could actually sit on balcony. Restaurant food was "DISGUSTING" and that is all I will say about that. Do not waste your money.

Dear lettucecook

I would like to apologize for any issues you had while staying at the Crowne Plaza. We will use this review to train and make our team better. We have deep cleaned the room to eliminate the oder that you experienced. Again thank you for taking the time to write this review.