“Stuck in an ice storm”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Dallas Downtown
Ranked #129 of 207 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I needed a place to stay overnight that was close to the greyhound station, the roads were shut down due to an ice storm. I found this hotel to have mixed reviews. Here is mine.
Very good price for the location, I was initially worried about the walk from the bus station because of what appears to be a high homeless population, but there was a lot of police around because there is a substation nearby, so no shenanigans. The hotel was only two blocks away and once inside, I forgot all about the hustle and bustle outside. The staff was very helpful and they let me go to my reserved room nearly three hours early, because I had nowhere else to go. I also ate both lunch and dinner at the bar and the food was reasonably priced as well as tasty with a really attentive bartender/waiter. The only con was the temperature in the bar was freezing and the staff the next morning seemed overwhelmed with the amount of folks checking out. Oh, also, after not sleeping for 20 hours on the bus, I took a nap in the room to be woken up by a baby screaming in the next room, the phone didnt work, so I went down to the receptionist to ask if they could just make sure the room was occupied and that the baby wasnt left alone. He called up, and they were in. He asked if I needed a different room, I said no. I appreciate the guy dealing with my concerns.

Room Tip: I heard from several folks that this hotel was a place for the young crowd to party, ask for a room...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank bree c
Shanna G, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Bree C,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience at the Crowne Plaza Dallas Downtown. We were very fortunate to have a team of dedicated associates who staffed the hotel during the severe weather in the area, and thankful that we could accommodate you while you waited for your bus.

The most valuable tool we have is the feedback provided by our guests. We have shared the comments from your review with our operations team so that we can use them to enhance the quality of future guest interactions. It truly is our pleasure to hear that a daunting experience was made comfortable by the performance of our team. Should you find yourself in the downtown Dallas area again, we would love to have you stay with us!

Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,347)

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I reserved 2 rooms for my sports team a whole month before our arrival in Dallas. I even listened to a half hour promo on a vacation opportunity after my booking I did over the phone. I was asked for a credit card to hold the rooms, as always.

When we arrived with my sports team, we had cash to pay for the room, they wouldn't take the cash! They said it had to be paid on a credit card first, then we could pay cash when we checked out. The front desk person said sorry, you can not stay here. He did help me find a hotel not too far away who did take cash as payment up-front. Then he cancelled my reservation at the Crowne Plaza. If I had known that we had to pay with a credit card upon arrival, I would have had the team pay in advance and used the credit card! We travel a lot with our sport and have always been able to pay cash when we arrive. This was the very first time that we could not.

Make sure you know these things when you book your rooms!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Shanna G, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Sallesguin

We appreciate your review because it does help our future guest understand our policies. I apologize that Booking.com did not explain this policy. We need a form of credit just like a rental car would. Thank you agian for your time and input.

Sincerely

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Staying at the Crowne Plaza while on business. The hotel is a perfect location. It has easy access to a underground tunnel that is not well known. There is a glass pyramid next to the hotel that let's you go below ground where the 27 degree weather does not effect you walk. The tunnel connects to many of the major buildings downtown and has small shops and lots of fast food restaurants. The staff has been very helpful, especially the bell staff. They provide free van rides which has been great with the weather cold as it has been. The rooms are larger than what I normally find in downtown hotels. They have large LCD TV's with free movie channels. It's great not having to pay to watch current run movies! I will certainly stay here when I come back to Dallas!

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony. The view at night of the uptown area is best. My friend enjoyed his scotc...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tericia W

Tericia W,

We appreciate the time you took to share the details of your recent visit to the Crowne Plaza Dallas Downtown with us. The balcony rooms are a newly developed upgrade to the existing rooms at our property, and our operations team was delighted to hear that a guest enjoyed using this new amenity.

It is our greatest ambition to ensure that each and every one of our guests experience a pleasant stay during their time with us. You have a choice when booking your hotel accommodations, and it would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again during your next trip to the area.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I guess I thought that this would have been a more up to date Hotel. My guess was wrong. I came along as a guest to support my gf for the Dallas Marathon Check in went well no complaints there. Then we went to the room and again I'm not sure what I was expecting but I expected it to be a bit more up to date. Granted it had a flat screen TV but it had a red line going through the middle of the screen. The bathroom was half done it looks like they replace the countertop but left the tub and walls undone if felt dirty too me. So, we headed to dinner at the hotel because the weather in Dallas of all weekends was terrible with cold and ice. Lets say that I'd be surprised if they make anything from scratch, again a feeling I had when we walked in. Tried to find the safest thing to order which was the beef tacos. I'd say you couldn't mess this up but they arrived at best luke warm and very average. I will say our waiter was very nice and prompt I'd say he should be working someplace better with a higher quality of food, Im sure he'd make better tips. The whole vibe of this Hotel just wasn't good which was too bad because the staff we dealt with were very nice. I will say the had free wi-fi in the rooms!!!! there workout room was poor a couple pieces of equipment didn't work. I wish I could say better things about my stay : (

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear M P

Thanks for staying at the Crowne Plaza and for writing this review. We do strive for your success and it sound like we failed. Thank you for the complement about the friendly staff that is what we can control even during horrible weather. Please contact me at 214-742-5678 ext 303 or chernandez@crownedallas.com so I can get a few details about your stay.

Thanks you for your review,

Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

After having a horrible check in experience we checked in and went to bed. The next day I woke up and went to grab something that fell on the floor next to the bed and saw what the mattress looked like that I slept in all night. There was blood stains on the side of the bed and it looked like they attempted to flip it rather than get rid of it. I now have to check my mattresses before crawling in at all hotels. Who knows what happened in that bed... Yuck!!! During checkout I mentioned the mattress and the front desk clerk was not surprised and did not even apologize. I then sent them an email with a picture of the mattress and I still have not heard a word from them. Must be a common issue.... I wonder how the health department would feel about that?!?

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Nichole O

Dear NicholeO

First I would like to apologize for the inconvenience during your stay. This is not acceptable and I would like to talk to you personally to get more information about the stay. Please call me at 214-742-5678 ext303 or email at chernandez@crownedallas.com.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

The Hotel was everything I expected. The young man named Gabe Y. was very kind and welcoming. He was able to accommodate everything we needed. Great location to do things as well. Dallas had so many things to do and this location seemed to be right in the middle. I was very satisfied. I would defiantly come back and stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Brian A, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2015

Dear Valued Guest,

We, at the Crowne Plaza Dallas Downtown, appreciate your comments, suggestions, and the fact that you stayed with us. We are currently going back through and touching any reviews that we did not respond to, just to let you, our valued guest know, that we do look at them and appreciate them. We also want all of our guests past, present, and future know that we will address any concerns brought forth, as we attempt to improve our property in every way possible. Thank you all again for your patronage and taking the time to review us here on tripadvisor.

Brian Angerer
Front Office Manager
Crowne Plaza Dallas Downtown

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza while attending a meeting and the hotel was fantastic. Great location in downtown and close to all the good restaurants and bars. The rooms were nice, larger than most hotels although the furniture could use a makeover. Bed was comfortable and room was nice and clean. The staff was very friendly. I arrived a day early to allow myself time to see Dallas and ran into a young lady named Serina in the elevator. She asked how my stay was and I explained I was there for a meeting and came in early to see Dallas but needed a good restaurant for dinner that evening. She recommended Sambuca which was great. When I got back after sightseeing there was an envelope slid under my door and inside was directions to Sambuca along with a note from Serina. I was shocked that in the short elevator conversation she remembered my name and she would take the time to hand write a note and print directions without me even asking. Things like that make experienced travelers like myself coming back to the hotel, Very lovely young lady who seems to be always smiling and happy.

The only complaint I have is the menu in the restaurant. It doesn't have much of a selection and is all across the board. The food was average tasting and price was inexpensive for a hotel restaurant. I would say overall this was a good experience and what made it a 5 for me was staff like Serina. I would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business