“Not the best experience”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Dallas Downtown
Ranked #131 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed 26 March 2014

It is an older hotel that could use updated. Staff was friendly but to many things wrong that I changed hotels after one night. Room han an odor. TV did not work and the wifi is horrid. It is close to the convention center which is why I booked it. Not sure how it has a bunch of 5 stars

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Ron G, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

I'm sorry to see your stay didn't live up to your expectations or our standards. Did you happen to let our team know about the issues with your room? It helps us to know in the moment so that we can take care of any problems quickly and efficiently. If not, I'd love to get more information from you so that I can follow up with my staff in regards to your comments. Thank you for reaching out here and I'll hope to hear from you soon.

Best,

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Quick trip to Dallas to cover Creed's performance at the House of Blues lead me to stay at this hotel. I was impressed with the friendly greeting I received upon check in and the willingness to help attitude that came from each one of the staff members i encountered. My room was clean and fresh with ample room and comfortable furniture. When I needed extra towels, they were delivered quickly. The location (right downtown) saved me on cab and transportation cost and Charles made it be known he was available to drive me, if needed. I enjoyed my stay and look forward to a return trip to Dallas.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be great, but if you want great view of Downtown ask for a room on the East s...
2  Thank ttttttttttt t

So happy we could help make your quick trip such a hit, Carol! It sounds like our staff really made you feel right at home, and I appreciate your kind words. Your compliments will absolutely make their day! We'll hope to see you the next time you're in our neck of the woods!

All the best,

Reviewed 25 March 2014

My friends and I booked the Crowne Plaza Hotel Downtown Dallas over the weekend to see one of our favorite bands, Creed, play the House of Blues. We picked the hotel because we were told it was walking distance. What we didn't expect was the very comfortable, spacious rooms and the overwhelming friendliness of the staff. From check in to check out, our every need was met with charm and smiles. Props to Maria at the front desk - many could take lessons from her!! While there we ordered room service from Maria and were delighted with the service AND the food! Comfortable rooms, great food and competitive prices...what more could you ask?

Room Tip: the views from the west side are incredible !!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jerilyn T
Ron G, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

What a fun reason for a Dallas trip, Jerilyn! I couldn't be happier that your stay with us proved to be even better than expected. We feel lucky to have such a hard worker like Maria on our team, so your kind words are much appreciated. I'll be sure to pass them along. We'll hope to see you again soon -- we heard the House of Blues has a great spring concert lineup!

Cheers,

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I was in Dallas this month for the American Chemical Society conference and stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Downtown Dallas. Everything was perfect! Walter checked me in effortlessly and with a very welcoming attitude. My room was sparkling clean and the towels, sheets, pillows were all fresh smelling and comfortable. The location, right in the heart of downtown Dallas made my life so much easier, not only for attending the conference but also for enjoying some shopping and dining just steps from the front door. Definitely worth the money and if I visit Dallas again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank dereck w
Ron G, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Thanks for the good word here, Dereck! It's always nice to be steps away from excellent shopping and dining when you're in a new city, so I'm glad to know our location made that so easy for you. Also, I appreciate you letting me know what a great job Walter did -- I'll be sure to pass your compliments along to him. We'll look forward to seeing you the next time you're in Dallas!

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

My family stay the first part of march. It was a great stay I like the restaurant was open till 10 each night an room service was open late too.. Amanda in the restaurant was so sweetheart she always had a smile on her face. . She waiting on us amanda she suggested we try the smash buger it was great.. my family will come back soon to stay an hope to see amanda

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

I'm so happy to hear that Amanda and the rest of our team was able to make your stay such a hit, Jade! You'll definitely have to come back and see us soon -- we'd welcome the opportunity to host you again!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I've never spent the time to write a review of a hotel, but my experience with the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Downtown Dallas was so atrocious that I feel obligated to provide future customers and the corporate office some critical feedback and fair warning.

Customer service at Crowne Plaza Downtown Dallas was terrible in all respects. My reservation was confirmed and paid in full 5 months prior to my stay, yet when I arrived I was told the hotel had oversold its rooms and I was one of several people to get "walked" to another hotel much farther from the convention that I was attending. When I arrived at the hotel at 2pm I was told that my room wasn't clean yet, so they offered to take my bag while I went to the conference that afternoon. It wasn't until later that night (~6pm) that I came back to take my bag to my room that I was told that I had no room there. I learned from the conference housing office that this is commonly done for conferences that book blocks of rooms. In the block contract, there are stipulations that if the hotel oversells rooms, block rooms can't be refused. So my confirmed and paid-for room was given to someone in the block. Let that be fair warning to anyone not in a conference block during a concurrent conference at the nearby convention center.

The hotel I was moved to was a long way from the convention center and shuttle service was not offered until I insisted (which took 2 hours to negotiate). When I arrived at the hotel the next night, I was told by the front desk staff that I would have to take a cab (on my own dime) . It required an hour of discussion just to get them to honor the agreement that they made the night before and another 30min to get to my room that night. The person I dealt with ("R") had a most unpleasant manner about him, switching between patronizing and aggressive tones. I was in turns ignored, intimidated, disrespected, and yelled at. "R" suggested, in fact, that I was making a "stink" about this whole thing because I "didn't like being in Texas," and that perhaps I should "spend more time at the conference and less time making trouble at the Crowne Plaza."

The rate at the hotel I was moved to was $50 lower than the rate I paid (in advance) to Crowne Plaza. When I called the next day to ask about receiving a refund to cover this difference, the woman I spoke with ("M") deflected any responsibility, refused to contact a supervisor, told me that I should actually be paying them extra $ for each night, then with the words "I'm going to hang up on you now," hung up on me.

Took several more days and many more unpleasant conversations, but finally I was refunded the difference between the rates ($129 vs $179 over 5 nights), and both "R" and "M" apologized for treating me so poorly. I should note that I was just 1 of 5 others that were also "walked" that day, all of whom had confirmed room reservations. I would recommend avoiding this hotel if possible, and if you have no choice, be sure that you are booked through the room block if you are in Dallas as part of a convention/conference.

The silver lining of this whole experience was meeting Charles and Tyler, who both drove the shuttle. Very nice guys who should be promoted to front desk or manager positions.

2  Thank griffdr
Ron G, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

We appreciate you reaching out about your experience, and are sorry that circumstances lead to our need to walk any of our guests. It sounds like we definitely dropped the ball service-wise on multiple fronts, and I hope you'll accept my sincere apologies for that.

However you are sharing excellent advice to any and all attendees to any city wide event. If your organization has taken the time to negotiate rooms and rates for an event you are attending it is very important that you book inside their block. Hotels in every city will protect the attendees that they know are coming. Hotels will look to the registered group block to identify these guests. If you have booked outside of the block, your group and hotel will not know to protect your reservation.

Thank you for providing such generous complements about Charles and Taylor. They are indeed appreciated by all of our staff. We will share your kind words with them.

Regards,
Mark Peck, Director of Operations

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I'm going to start by saying I don't understand the negative reviews I've seen on this hotel. My husband and I stayed there for a weekend in Feb for Valentine's weekend and found everything to be in top shape. The rooms were clean (a #1 requirement for me) and and the service was excellent. The free internet service worked perfectly, too. Each and everytime we requested something from the front desk or from housekeeping services our needs were met quickly and in a friendly manner. I can't think of one thing to complain about! And neither can my husband who complains about everything!! We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Great View!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your support, Betty! We do our best to offer up a truly exceptional experience on all fronts, so I'm thrilled to know that's exactly what you got. You'll have to come back and see us soon -- we'd love the opportunity to host you again!