“Rock & Roll !! (or something like that...)” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill

Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill
Ranked #61 of 200 Hotels in Dallas
Sour Lake, TX
“Rock & Roll !! (or something like that...)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

I had a need to spend a Saturday night in June in the Dallas area to pick up my son at the DFW airport from an international flight. I like Hilton properties generally and look for Hampton Inns specifically as the lower cost property in that chain. For the DFW area, I found late-notice vacancies at this hotel on I-35E, a Hampton in the Las Colinas area, or a Hampton down in Mansfield. I quickly ruled the Mansfield location out due to distance. The remaining two were a wash in my opinion. I selected the I-35E location since my son was heading up north to Denton after coming home, and also this property was advertised as a completely smoking-free facility.

There really wasn't anything wrong with the property itself, other than the fact that surely someone previously had smoked in our room. It was labelled as non-smoking, but it wasn't honored as such by some guest prior to us. I don't think I can really fault the management for the carelessness of previous guests, unless they tolerate that too much.

However, there were a couple of other surprises that hit us before we got even into the hotel. First, that part of the Dallas freeway system is undergoing major renovation, so if you're a hesitant driver or pulling a trailer, you're not going to like the manuevering required. The exit ramp is short and bumpy and you have to get over and take an immediate right on Walnut Hill, then position yourself for an immediate left onto the street that runs behind the LaQuinta and up to the back of the Hampton. The La Quinta and the Hampton share a parking lot, with the actual gate into the closest parking lane to the Hampton locked closed. I think this might be because there is what appears to be a major urban nightclub right behind the Hampton with its own gate just opposite the Hampton's gate. There weren't any issues with parking spillover the Saturday night we were there, but I could see that as a possibility.

Oh, by the way, don't be fooled by the posted price for gasoline at the C-store on the corner of the freeway exit, that's a cash price and the credit card price is on a dark sign at street level on the corner. That has absolutely nothing to do with the Hampton, but as a guy who works in the "oil bidness", I really don't like that kind of advertising.

The second surprise that hit us before we got parked was the obvious event of the month taking place at the Hampton. A motorcycle club had scheduled a rally for that weekend and was using the Hampton as their headquarters hotel. Nothing wrong with that, I like bikers in general. These guys were riding rice rockets, and I prefer Harley's, but hey what you gonna do? They dominated the hotel lobby and meeting room and pool, and I sort of wished I had picked the Las Colinas location just for peace and quiet, but who knows, there may have been some sort of gathering there themselves. I don't hold the local Hampton managers in fault for this, in fact, I'm glad in these economic times they had a big weekend. And also, we didn't have any problem whatsoever with hallway noise or outside noise. The insulation and build quality of that building must be pretty good. But we skipped the swimming pool. I reserved a room on-line without calling the hotel desk, so I couldn't have known about the bike rally. But I wonder how I managed to get a room anyway, since the hotel appeared to be sold out and with spill-over to the La Quinta.

So all in all, I can't award 4 or 5 stars, but I have to be fair in that other than perhaps some better Febreezing after a smoking guest, the I-35E Hampton fit my needs and was fine.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FootballRefJeff
Jeanne N, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Thank you so much for all of your feedback. We appreciate your comments on the freeway, which as you know we cannot change the "system". The current overhead project should be finished by the end of the year, which will certainly make the hotel more convenient.

You are correct that a motorcycle had booked the hotel for the weekend. Frankly, I was also surprised that you were able to get a room, as they were supposed to have occupied all rooms. That being said, we apologize that you think there had been smoking in the room from the prior occupant. It certainly could have happened, but we do not tolerate smoking and if we find out someone is smoking they are asked to go outside.

We would like to invite you to be our guest the next time your travels bring you through Dallas, I am mailing you a gift certificate which we hope that you take advantage of.

Thank you and have a great day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

I run the business next door and naturally send patrons over to both the hotels that are side by side. Recently I had the pleasure of staying at the Hampton Inn myself and would like to say that I was blown away. I had expected a very average experience and got exactly the opposite. I usually recommend the newly remodeled La Quinta, however that tune has changed. The Hampton Inn has a very CLEAN and cozy atmosphere, friendly staff and many small things that matter. Upon first entering the lobby you are greeted and immediately notice everything is tidy and clean. Once given a key there is a gym area to the right on your way to the elevators. The elevators are quick and work great. Once inside the room you are greeted by a small tray on the bed that has candies and a welcome letter. As you walk around there are little notes and reminders about how everything is washed and cleaned. Iron, Coffee machine, flat screen and movies. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your gracious comments on the Hampton Inn Dallas North.
We seldom hear about the good services we provide our guests, and it really does make the staff take pride in their jobs.

We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming back to the hotel soon.

Again, thank you.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

My husband and I visited DFW for our vacation this year and found this Hampton to be a very good location for all the different places we visited during our trip.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments on your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Dallas North. We are always pleased to know when our customers have a nice stay.

We look forward to welcoming you once again, when your travels bring you to this area.

Have a nice day.
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

We've been staying here off and on for years. When we had a business that involved travel to the Dallas Market Center, we began staying here. More recently, we have stayed here when we traveled to Dallas for the King Tut exhibit, State Fair of Texas, etc. The location is just north of downtown, very close to the Market center area. The area around the hotel has declined slightly over the last 10 years or so, but seems to be coming back. "Restaurant Row", which was just across the street, is really no longer...They are working on a highway overpass, but we did not hear any noise our last visit.

The hotel itself is standard Hampton inn. Clean and comfortable, everything works as it should. The rooms themselves seem to be more updated than the corridors, not sure why. Breakfast is always ample, fresh, and kept refilled and clean. Front desk staff are friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Dallas North.

We are pleased that you have been a long time patron of the hotel. We always appreciate our long term customers especially since you have been utilizing the hotel services for over ten years.

We are always here to help you, and if you need assistance in anyway please do not hesitate to contact us. We hope to see you return again for the State Fair.

Once again we appreciate your taking the time to complete the survey.

Have a nice day!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

The hotel looks new and clean. It is just right off I-35 but we did not here any noise. The rooms were clean and the bed comfortable. The ceilings on the top floor were somewhat low for my height. The breakfast was basic but good with a lot of pastries. OK hotel for one night stay.

Room Tip: Check out nearby Korean restaurants
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Thank you for your recent review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with the exception of ceiling height. This is normally not a problem for our guests, we are sorry that you felt limited.

We endeavor to offer a wide variety of breakfast items including: two hot items a day , kettle oatmeal, make your own waffles as well as cereals and fruit. We do have muffins, bagels,toast and assorted danish for your selection also.

We appreciate your business and look forward to one day having you as a return guest.
Bedford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

Consistent Hampton Inn experience so that was good. There was contruction in the immediate area during my visit so you may want to check first to see if still going on as it was a minor inconvenience for drive and noise level. Very good location to downtown Dallas and the surrounding business parks on 35.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank skiguy33
, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Thank you for your kind comments on the Hampton Inn Dallas North. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, except for the inconvenience of the highway construction.

The highway project is slated for completion by the end of the year, and we too look forward to this being a finished project.

If we can be of assistance to you in any way during your next visit to Dallas, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Aiken, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

Hotel was good the area did not make me feel comfortable.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Weld11
Jeanne N, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this review, 4 June 2012

I understand your repsonse about the neighborhood, as we are located in a predominately industrial area, however, rest assured that our neighborhood is safe.

We look forward to the opportunity of hopefully welcoming you again to our hotel.

Have a great day!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dallas
La Quinta Inn & Suites Dallas I-35 Walnut Hill Ln
Doubletree by Hilton, Dallas - Farmers Branch
Courtyard Dallas Northwest
Hampton Inn & Suites Dallas Market Center
La Quinta Inn & Suites Dallas Addison Galleria
Quality Inn & Suites I-35 / Walnut Hill

Been to Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill? Share your experiences!