“Good standard Hampton Inn”

Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill
Ranked #62 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
“Good standard Hampton Inn”
Reviewed 8 September 2012

This was our second stay at this Hampton Inn. As others have noted, it's in an unlovely part of Dallas, right by I-35 and seemingly endless construction, but it happened to be convenient to where we needed to be for visits with family and friends. There is nothing wrong with the hotel itself or any of its amenities -- easy check-in, standard Hampton room, ample vanity-top bathroom space, comfortable bed, decent breakfast buffet. We heard no freeway noise. If you're there on a weekend with light occupancy, as we were, you can park right next to the back door.Saturday night does bring out lots of traffic at the nightclub next door. For the price, this hotel is a very good value.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Ruth G, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Thank you for your feedback, especially the comments on how quiet our hotel is with regard to freeway noise! Our hotel is a solid concrete building, and was built with our highway location in mind. We hear quite often that you do not even know we are located next to the highway because of it. I do apologize for the highway construction which is expected to be completed by the end of the year. We will also be renovating our hotel later this year with regard to the guest rooms and breakfast/lobby area, so the next time you come to visit, you will experience a whole new look!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 8 August 2012

It is a clean hotel. Right on I35 make it a bit noisy if you are on the interstate side. In the afternoon they offer happy hours .. nice and the price is right for this kind of hotel. It is in the average of the Hamptons but the location is not the best ... big street construction in front of the hotel and the area is not great but on the positive side lots of good restaurants near by and airport DFW not very far

Room Tip: Nice happy hour
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Ruth G, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your comments on the cleanliness of the Hampton Inn Dallas North Hotel, as it is a direct reflection of our Housekeeping Staff. They have been with us for years and take pride in providing a well maintained product for our guests. As to the highway construction, it is expected to be completed by the end of the year and will definitely provide an easier access route to the hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to when you will return to the Hampton Inn Dallas North Hotel!
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 27 July 2012

This looks like a 1970's construction. However, it has been well maintained. No problems to report.

Friendly staff
Clean
Quiet
Good cable TV channel selection
Good breakfast with plenty of seating
Good parking
Lots of restaurants nearby

We had a group meeting at the hotel and the meeting room was excellent! Lots of room, comfortable chairs and nice tables.

Good job, Hampton Inn Dallas North!

Room Tip: Great place to hold a meeting.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Ruth G, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! We are happy to have hosted your meeting and look forward to when you will be back to the Hampton Inn Dallas North property. Please do not hesitate to contact us the next time you are in Dallas.
Sour Lake, TX
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I had a need to spend a Saturday night in June in the Dallas area to pick up my son at the DFW airport from an international flight. I like Hilton properties generally and look for Hampton Inns specifically as the lower cost property in that chain. For the DFW area, I found late-notice vacancies at this hotel on I-35E, a Hampton in the Las Colinas area, or a Hampton down in Mansfield. I quickly ruled the Mansfield location out due to distance. The remaining two were a wash in my opinion. I selected the I-35E location since my son was heading up north to Denton after coming home, and also this property was advertised as a completely smoking-free facility.

There really wasn't anything wrong with the property itself, other than the fact that surely someone previously had smoked in our room. It was labelled as non-smoking, but it wasn't honored as such by some guest prior to us. I don't think I can really fault the management for the carelessness of previous guests, unless they tolerate that too much.

However, there were a couple of other surprises that hit us before we got even into the hotel. First, that part of the Dallas freeway system is undergoing major renovation, so if you're a hesitant driver or pulling a trailer, you're not going to like the manuevering required. The exit ramp is short and bumpy and you have to get over and take an immediate right on Walnut Hill, then position yourself for an immediate left onto the street that runs behind the LaQuinta and up to the back of the Hampton. The La Quinta and the Hampton share a parking lot, with the actual gate into the closest parking lane to the Hampton locked closed. I think this might be because there is what appears to be a major urban nightclub right behind the Hampton with its own gate just opposite the Hampton's gate. There weren't any issues with parking spillover the Saturday night we were there, but I could see that as a possibility.

Oh, by the way, don't be fooled by the posted price for gasoline at the C-store on the corner of the freeway exit, that's a cash price and the credit card price is on a dark sign at street level on the corner. That has absolutely nothing to do with the Hampton, but as a guy who works in the "oil bidness", I really don't like that kind of advertising.

The second surprise that hit us before we got parked was the obvious event of the month taking place at the Hampton. A motorcycle club had scheduled a rally for that weekend and was using the Hampton as their headquarters hotel. Nothing wrong with that, I like bikers in general. These guys were riding rice rockets, and I prefer Harley's, but hey what you gonna do? They dominated the hotel lobby and meeting room and pool, and I sort of wished I had picked the Las Colinas location just for peace and quiet, but who knows, there may have been some sort of gathering there themselves. I don't hold the local Hampton managers in fault for this, in fact, I'm glad in these economic times they had a big weekend. And also, we didn't have any problem whatsoever with hallway noise or outside noise. The insulation and build quality of that building must be pretty good. But we skipped the swimming pool. I reserved a room on-line without calling the hotel desk, so I couldn't have known about the bike rally. But I wonder how I managed to get a room anyway, since the hotel appeared to be sold out and with spill-over to the La Quinta.

So all in all, I can't award 4 or 5 stars, but I have to be fair in that other than perhaps some better Febreezing after a smoking guest, the I-35E Hampton fit my needs and was fine.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank FootballRefJeff
Jeanne N, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Thank you so much for all of your feedback. We appreciate your comments on the freeway, which as you know we cannot change the "system". The current overhead project should be finished by the end of the year, which will certainly make the hotel more convenient.

You are correct that a motorcycle had booked the hotel for the weekend. Frankly, I was also surprised that you were able to get a room, as they were supposed to have occupied all rooms. That being said, we apologize that you think there had been smoking in the room from the prior occupant. It certainly could have happened, but we do not tolerate smoking and if we find out someone is smoking they are asked to go outside.

We would like to invite you to be our guest the next time your travels bring you through Dallas, I am mailing you a gift certificate which we hope that you take advantage of.

Thank you and have a great day!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I run the business next door and naturally send patrons over to both the hotels that are side by side. Recently I had the pleasure of staying at the Hampton Inn myself and would like to say that I was blown away. I had expected a very average experience and got exactly the opposite. I usually recommend the newly remodeled La Quinta, however that tune has changed. The Hampton Inn has a very CLEAN and cozy atmosphere, friendly staff and many small things that matter. Upon first entering the lobby you are greeted and immediately notice everything is tidy and clean. Once given a key there is a gym area to the right on your way to the elevators. The elevators are quick and work great. Once inside the room you are greeted by a small tray on the bed that has candies and a welcome letter. As you walk around there are little notes and reminders about how everything is washed and cleaned. Iron, Coffee machine, flat screen and movies. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your gracious comments on the Hampton Inn Dallas North.
We seldom hear about the good services we provide our guests, and it really does make the staff take pride in their jobs.

We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming back to the hotel soon.

Again, thank you.
Reviewed 7 July 2012

My husband and I visited DFW for our vacation this year and found this Hampton to be a very good location for all the different places we visited during our trip.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments on your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Dallas North. We are always pleased to know when our customers have a nice stay.

We look forward to welcoming you once again, when your travels bring you to this area.

Have a nice day.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We've been staying here off and on for years. When we had a business that involved travel to the Dallas Market Center, we began staying here. More recently, we have stayed here when we traveled to Dallas for the King Tut exhibit, State Fair of Texas, etc. The location is just north of downtown, very close to the Market center area. The area around the hotel has declined slightly over the last 10 years or so, but seems to be coming back. "Restaurant Row", which was just across the street, is really no longer...They are working on a highway overpass, but we did not hear any noise our last visit.

The hotel itself is standard Hampton inn. Clean and comfortable, everything works as it should. The rooms themselves seem to be more updated than the corridors, not sure why. Breakfast is always ample, fresh, and kept refilled and clean. Front desk staff are friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Dallas North.

We are pleased that you have been a long time patron of the hotel. We always appreciate our long term customers especially since you have been utilizing the hotel services for over ten years.

We are always here to help you, and if you need assistance in anyway please do not hesitate to contact us. We hope to see you return again for the State Fair.

Once again we appreciate your taking the time to complete the survey.

Have a nice day!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dallas
La Quinta Inn & Suites Dallas I-35 Walnut Hill Ln
Courtyard Dallas Northwest
Hampton Inn & Suites Dallas Market Center
Doubletree by Hilton, Dallas - Farmers Branch
Quality Inn & Suites I-35 / Walnut Hill
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dallas/Stemmons Fwy(I-35 E)

Been to Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill? Share your experiences!