“Nice SMU Area Hotel”

Ranked #22 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Hudson WI
“Nice SMU Area Hotel”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We rolled the dice with one of the discount travel websites trying to get in the Uptown area. We ended up getting the Holiday Inn Dallas Central. I was a little nervous with the area but this hotel worked out great. Arrival: Free parking and a fast check in. Rooms: Modern, well appointed, and clean. Service: Great cleaning crew and friendly shuttle drivers. Location: One block off of the Mockingbird light rail line and just across the highway to SMU college. Food: The hotel offers food at the hotel, (for a fee) but with all of the options around the hotel we didn't bother.

We did not use the pool or gym and we did not visit the bar during our stay. While I can't speak to those areas I can say that we had a great stay. The area around the hotel has some really cool bars and places to eat. The "spicy goat" at the Twisted Root Burger is a must do.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas-Park Cities, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Hey jjp644,

Thanks for the review! We love the Spicy Goat as well and we're glad you got to experience all the great things our location has to offer. We're glad you took a chance on us and we're glad that next time you stay with us, it won't be a roll of the dice.

Cheers,
Ryan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Very difficult to rate this hotel. At check-in, we were assigned to the wrong room type (had confirmed "executive level"). When approached, the clerk insisted it was correct. The standard room was, to say the least, not impressive. The manager, Kim, got involved and solved the problems, in fact she went out of her way the entire stay to make sure our entire party was happy. If not for her personal efforts, all the rating would have been either 1 or 2. I believe she is fairly new there and hope (think) she will eventually straighten out the rest of the property.
We had breakfast two mornings in the restaurant. The food was edible - which is the best I can say for it. They charge $10. for the buffet, plus additional charge for coffee. The food was worse than the free breakfast at most other hotels . I would recommend this property if you reserve and receive an executive level room and if you can find somewhere else to have breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jdubdal
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas-Park Cities, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear jdubdal,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and are relieved to know that the issues you have encountered have been resolved in a timely manner. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

I have stayed several times before and during the hotel renovation. Glad to see it finally complete and they did a wonderful job. Plenty of parking and it so convenient to everything. So many awesome restaurants that are close by.

The rooms have great amenities wi if, desk, great pillows and refrigerator. This hotel is just across the freeway from SMU. You can see the stadium from the room window!

I personally prefer the upper floors and the views.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Randy A
Kevin G, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas-Park Cities, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your recent stay. Your feedback and great comments are appreciated and welcomed ! We hoe we will see you again soon.
Oklahoma city
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This is a great centrally located place to stay....the staff was most accomodating and very friendly. The rooms and hotel are clean and the bed allowed for a nice nights sleep. This location is very close to North Park Mall and Whole Foods grocery whcih was a plus for me. Right behind the hotel is an open air mall with great shopping as well.

I would stay here again when traveling to the Dallas area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank gabbygirl59
thank you for taking the time to post comments about your recent stay ... I'm glad you found it to be a great place to stay.I truly appreciate your business.
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We traveled to Dallas for Southern Methodist University's Family Weekend. Despite making reservations two months in advance, the hotel had no more available rooms with 2 queen beds. The staff did their best to accommodate us by upgrading us (at a higher nightly rate) to a room with a king-size bed and a small couch. We were told that there may be a possibility for a roll-away bed, but since they were first come/first serve, they could not guarantee that one would be available. When we arrived we were told by a very friendly desk clerk that there were no roll-away beds left for that night, but they would try to get us one for the next night. The staff brought bedding for my daughter to use on the small couch. Unfortunately, we didn't get a roll-away bed on any of the 3 nights we were there. Despite this glitch, the room was clean and comfortable. The location was ideal for our purposes, since it is right across the freeway from SMU.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Kevin G, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas-Park Cities, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your recent stay. I do utilize the comments to better prepare our team to ensure we are exceeding our guest expectations. My deepest apologies for not getting the rollaway that you needed. Again , we use the feedback as training topics and I have met with my team internally to revise how we do things to again ensure guest request are met.
If I can be of any further assistance feel free to let me know.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This is a nice hotel that we enjoy very much each time we stay. Shuttle service to within 5 miles gets you to SMU, North Park mall and many other POI's. Mockingbird station within walking distance can get you downtown and west end very easily. Other enjoyable restaurants and shopping within walking distance of hotel also. Overall GREAT location. Hotel staff very good although front desk is easily frazzled. Shuttle drivers and bar staff are superb. Exercise facility limited but fine. Rooms are crisp and clean (although in-room a/c units are a tad noisy). I highly recommend this recently renovated property as a solid three star hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
Kevin G, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas-Park Cities, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete the recent post about your stay. We certainly appreciate your business.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed 2 nights with our daughter, who is a freshman at SMU, this past weekend at Holiday Inn Park Cities. Our freshman attempted school work at the hotel on Saturday but could not because Wi-Fi was not available in our corner room. I was told "corner rooms" do not have reliable Wi-Fi and the hotel could not move us because the hotel was full. The rooms are not equipped with landline connections either. When we checked in, the reception desk did not indicate our room was a corner room without Wi-Fi. If we had known, our daughter would have made other accommodations for school work. Due to this Wi-Fi problem, our student returned to campus to do school work and our family plans over Parents Weekend were pushed to late Saturday night. Unfortunately, this was not the only problem encountered. When checking out on Sunday, I noticed the room rate was $14 higher per night than the rate on my email confirmation. The front desk indicated my email confirmed rate was the SMU student/faculty rate. Reception did not ask for my daughter's school ID at check-in nor did they tell me the rate was changed. When my daughter presented her SMU student ID at check-out the hotel changed the rate back to the reserved rate. This hotel is in a fabulous location within easy, safe, walking distance to SMU. The lobby is charming. Rooms are clean. I feel the absence of Wi-Fi is not acceptable in 2013 for any business class hotel, and the hotel has an obligation to ensure reliable Wi-Fi (or a landline) is available in every room in the hotel....or disclose on their website this enormous deficiency.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your recent stay. I will further look into the rate and contact you directly if that's acceptable by you.

We have met with and continue to meet to upgrade our Wifi connectivity. This is something that I'm directly involved with and we will see improvements here over the next few weeks.

Thank you for your busy as I truly do appreciate it.