“Nice location but disappointing rooms”

Magnolia Hotel Dallas-Park Cities
Ranked #21 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 4 days in July so that I could attend to some medical issues at a nearby hospital. We often choose Holiday Inn and are IHG Gold Members because our common destinations (San Francisco, London, Chicago) have great accommodations and locations.

We had some reservations issues initially when requesting a "mobility accessible" room but that was worked out prior to arrival thanks to a series of phone calls to the hotel. The Manager contacted me the day of my planned arrival to assure me that everything was worked out. When we arrived, an engineering manager met us at the side door made sure that we were all set--even obtained a small refrigerator for us 5 minutes after our arrival.

Admittedly, we were both on edge because of the reason for our stay. However, there were a variety of issues with the room. First, the shower leaks like you wouldn't believe. It's made for a wheelchair to roll into but the drainage wasn't designed properly so the water flows out of the shower and into the main bathroom as far as the carpet at the door. It was a shock the first night, but we adjusted after that and placed 2 full sized rolled up towels at the entrance of the shower to stop the water. We mentioned the issue to housekeeping and facilities but there was no solution.

The second issue was the AC unit. The fan ran all the time and it blew directly in the face of whomever ends up on the left hand side of the bed. We put a suitcase and the ironing board in front of it to divert the air from my face. After second night of the fan running all the time, making it almost impossible to hear the TV, and making the room humid, we went ahead and talked to the front desk. They sent maintenance over and he had to replace the whole unit. It worked fine after that (although the unit was just as loud so we only had issues hearing the TV whenever it kicked on).

Others have mentioned generous parking but it's worth noting that the northside parking appears to be shared by a few nearby businesses during the day. From my ground floor room, I observed people parking and then walking to the other business, NOT entering the hotel from the side door. This makes parking hard to find near the room during the day. At night (or if you move the car at lunchtime) it's no issue.

Finally, while others have mentioned service issues, we had none of these. All of the staff we came in contact with were courteous and very helpful.

Room Tip: Steer clear of the elevators. Kids and elevators do not mix.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas-Park Cities, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for bringing our attention to the issues you experienced. We're glad everything is okay, and we want you to know we've addressed the concerns you raised and hope that your next stay with us is exactly as it should be; perfect.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We had a short trip planned to Dallas wanted something in this area - close to shopping and several restaurants. The Holiday Inn Dallas Central Park Cities fit our needs. It was a busy weekend for the hotel, but this didn't interfere with our stay. Our son enjoyed the indoor pool which was very clean. We enjoyed walking a short distance to shopping and restaurants. I would stay again if aiming for this area!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for choosing us, and we hope that you will be aiming for this area again, because we love nice guests, and you're up there. Keep it up, and let's make another date soon.

Cheers,

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is our 3rd trip and we plan to return again. The staff is very helpful and the location for anything SMU related. It is an easy 10 minute walk to campus so you don't have to hassle with parking at SMU.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We love our location, and we love our returning guests! Thanks for reviewing and getting the good word out. We know we'll see you again - can't wait!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have a child attending SMU. This hotel is across the street from campus, so it is super convenient. At other schools I have visited, the closest hotels to campus are rarely the best - this is a wonderful exception. I am always pleased with the service. My only complaint is that the WiFi is iffy in the rooms, no problem in the lobby, though. I recommend this for any family visiting SMU, and for anyone else who wants a reasonably priced and convenient place to stay in Dallas and/or Highland Park area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

WiFi issues - check. Looking into them. We thank you for keeping us informed on ways to improve, and we hope to have you back soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stay at this hotel fairly often and find the staff and restaurant outstanding. This stay was for a medical procedure the next morning, but we also come for cheer camp at SMU. Beds are comfortable, but we wish there were an option for sofa seating space in double-queen rooms. Wish TV volume could be higher for better hearing over the auto on-off noisy cooling system. Could not find a way to adjust the cooling system to lower cooling and set fan to always be on to avoid the on/off noise of the unit. The bathroom mirror shines well on the counter top but not on patron's faces for using lighting for makeup. Minimal electrical outlets around bath counter. Tub stopper (think in room 936) had to be completely removed for tub to drain. Like that commodes have fairly sturdy lids and are reasonably quiet when flushing. Like grab bar for tub in/out access. Location, staff, and restaurant are the selling points for us.

Room Tip: Rooms are not the best selling feature for this hotel. They are somewhat small and have the issues...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for returning, and thank you for reviewing! Your experience with room condition has been noted and addressed. We hope to have you back again in the near future -

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Without a doubt, the most comfortable bed I've slept at a any hotel. Good location, not far from downtown. Older property but well maintained. Friendly staff. Nice bar just off lobby. I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here to attend a conference at SMU. The property was very busy, but also generally pleasant. The rooms were nice appointed and the beds were very good. No problems with wifi. The main problem--I was sharing the scheduled double bed room with another conference attendee to save money, and apparently that was something they had never heard of before. First, my friend arrived first and was placed in a single bed room. She went down and said, no, remember, I need a double, and they had none. We ended up with a rollaway added to the room for one night and were changed over to a double the next. Then, checking out the billing was all messed up--no separate bills for each of us, and I still think we were overcharged but for the life of me I couldn't get the staff person to explain the bill to me better. Frankly, I gave up and took the bill. There were other staff related elements as well--people were very nice but lots of unnecessary confusion along the way. Maybe I'd stay again, but I'd have to think about it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Susan W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas-Park Cities, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Susan W,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I am delighted that you found our hotel and room pleasant.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any misunderstanding regarding your room type and for any inconvenience the level of service received may have caused you. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our service

Again, thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,