“Noisy hotel, and location not the best”

Renaissance Dallas Hotel
Ranked #37 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
Toronto, Canada
“Noisy hotel, and location not the best”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

For the first time, I didn't read any review of this hotel prior to staying here for the Dallas Rock n Roll Half Marathon. Strange that I write this review, I see that there were two other recent reviews that contradicted what I am about to say here. For background purposes, I will mention that I am a huge Marriott customer, and among my visits, I've been to Renaissance hotels in Bangkok, Chicago, Shanghai (and one or two other that escapes me right now).

I find the hotel noisy for Marriott Renaissance standards. First thing I notice when I got in is that most rooms have connecting doors and those doors are very then. I was able to hear my neighbour talk over her phone even though I knew she speaking at normal volume. As a matter of fact, I am sure she realized when I started to talk that the doors were thin. Secondly, the enterance doors close very loudly if you let it close by itself. This means you can hear pretty much everyone closing their door within a 3 or 4 room radius. Sometimes, even my bed shakes a little when a door slams. I was told my the people in the hotel that they are planning to renovate and do something with the walls to maintain noise bleeds. My advise, call in first to see if they have renovated this. I don't plan on staying in this hotel until then.

The second point, I find the customer service is on par with other Renaissance hotel. I asked them for a room change on the first night and they followed up the next day since they weren't able to provide me with a room in the first evening. Plus the lounge attendant was very helpful to make sure I was able to work in the Lounge.

Third point, is the location. It isn't the best in my opinion because I had to use a car or shuttle to get anywhere. Maybe that's Dallas, but I was expecting at least things to see in the neighbourhood. If you are like me, who likes to stroll around and sightsee on foot, this may not be the hotel for you.

I hope these help.

Room Tip: Call in ahead to discuss noise issue. The hotel was able to place me in a room where it is adjacent...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank KingmanP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Korean first
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 25 March 2012

When I think Renaissance, I think "Higher End". While it may not be the highest of caliber, I expect a bit more than the average Holiday Inn or the like. With that said....Renaissance was average when you think of what it should be or what you should expect. I stayed only one night, while in Dallas for the 2012 Auto Show. I will point out that when you search for Downtown Dallas Hotels, this one comes up. It is not IN downtown, but it is in Market Center, which is about a 4 or 5 minute drive from actual Downtown.

Overall, The hotel was clean and customer service was adequate. I have to point out that I have no serious concerns nor any "real" complaints. But I have a couple gripes about the general stay, as follows:
I am a Marriott Rewards Gold Elite Member...I checked into a King Room on a requested high floor. I was placed on the 19th of 30 floors. That was good for me. However, the room was a connecting room...which I despise. I called down, requesting a non-connecting room. After a quick check, I was informed that there were no non-connecting rooms equal to the room I have.
As a Rewards Member, who has stayed at Marriotts over 30 nights a year for the last 2 years...I expected an offer for an upgrade or the like...nothing of that nature came. The agent was nice about it, but nothing could be done. I'm not trying to be "high and mighty" but it seemed an easy request for a long time customer.
A second concern....the rooftop pool. In order to get there, you travel by elevator to the 30th floor. Then you walk to a stairwell door. Beyond the door you enter a very utilitarian stairwell....black metal stairs, with cream-colored walls...that lead you up to the gym and pool area. This was not fitting with the hotel at all. Frankly I was shocked at the route. Why have they not changed this?? Weird to me. But...the pool area was nice, heated pool was a good extra.
Finally, when going into downtown, I searched and then asked if there was car or shuttle service to downtown...there was none. I would even consider paying a bit for the service, but nothing offered. I asked a doorman, who quickly said "no". A cab is about $10 each way.
Overall, the hotel was very clean, the room was good size and clean. The bathroom had 2 sinks, one inside the bathroom, and one outside....so this was a good bonus. The shower seemed ill fitted for the space....not sure what it was, but it seemed out of place. Otherwise, good, Aveda products, nice, clean appointments.
I had no REAL problems and if someone wanted to stay there, I would not discourage them. However, I think I would suggest others before I suggested this one. With the likes of Adolphus, Hilton, and Magnolia within a couple miles...and prices that are not much more, I would think Renaissance would step up the "details".

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Apollo Beach, Florida
Reviewed 20 March 2012

One of the easiest hotels to find in Dallas, right off I35 near AA Center and Victory Plaza. Recently updated hotel rooms and lobby. Restaurant I would rate as average for this level of hotel. Good news it plenty of great restaurants from 2-3 miles away. Rooftop (31st floor) pool and gym.

For sure will stay again

The massive Hilton Anatole is across the street. Big advantage for the Renaissance is that you can go from your car to any room in 3-4 minutes its a tall hotel, at the Anatole it can literally be nearly 10 min from the car to your room.

Room Tip: pick a city view room (even numbers) and high floor
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We went there to visit our new born nephew who had breathing complications The bar was great I enjoyed my meal .Concierge associate was very friendly and gave us great recomendation for a nice steak house .My only down comment is about Front desk staff they where too busy having a converstation with the female manager that looked way to personal than assist us .

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Nina A
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Based on past experience of staying at the Renaissance I decided to stay there again although it meant driving 10 miles farther for work everyday then I would have had to if I stayed at another hotel.

This is a great hotel (could use an updated gym) but the staff from the front desk to the lounge are all very courteous and professional.

Room Tip: if you like to work out stay on the 30th floor. The even number rooms have an incredible view of do...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Based on experience last time we stayed again in September 2010 and 2011 .. and we were not disappointed .. this has been perfect place for our business stay ... had complimentary breakfast as part of our corporate rate.. location is great as well

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 March 2012

My wife and I had to fly into Dallas without very much notice due to our newly born Granddaughter having some serious medical complications that required a long stay at the Children's Hospital right up the road. I am retired from selling Medical Devices for the past 30 years and spent much of my time on the road. (Sometimes upwards of twenty days a month) That being said I think I know what makes a good hotel stay for both the business traveler or someone traveling for personal issues.

We chose the Renaissance only because it was located very close to the Children's Hospital where our Granddaughter was going to be staying. I usually stayed at Hiltons when I was still working but this came highly recommended so I decided to give it a shot. Boy am I glad we stayed there!

The very first day when we arrived I was given access to the 27th floor that is reserved for Gold and Elite members. I was also given access to the Gold/Eilte Members Lounge which was a Godsend! The first night we arrived we decided to stop by for a quick drink to relax after a long day of traveling. We were the only ones there as it was a very slow night and struck up a conversation with a Ms Erin Dowell. She was so incredibly sweet and great to talk to. We told her why we were there and what our Granddaughter was going to be going through. From that moment on Erin made sure that all of our needs were met and attended to. Every morning or evening she would check in with us to make sure everything was to our satisfaction and if she could help us in any other way. She even helped my wife with a few things on her own time to help us acclimate to being away from home for so long.

I honestly do not think we would have kept our sanity during this very trying time had Erin not been there to help us. From now on I will make sure to always stay at the Marriot family of hotels. I used to be a loyal Hilton customer but Erin has shown me what true customer service and attention to detail is all about. I cannot thank Erin and the rest of the Renaissance Dallas staff enough for helping us through probably the most difficult time in our lives.

Thankfully our Granddaughter is doing great and has made a full recovery. We will be coming back to Dallas often to visit and play with her as often as possible. We will also be coming back to stay at the Renaissance Dallas Hotel to visit the staff that treated us as family during this very difficult experience. Thank you Ms. Dowell for being there when we really needed it. You are so much more than a wonderful employee. We also consider you a newly found friend!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family