“Terrible experience”

Sheraton Suites Market Center
Ranked #79 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I don't know whether to blame Expedia, through which I booked the reservation, or the hotel itself after I checked in.
I paid online (non-refundable) for a room with two double beds and a sofa bed. The reservation was made on January 28th and was for checking in on March 1st and out on March 2nd.
When I checked in, nothing was said to me about what was to come. I was given my room key as though everything was just fine.
I got to my room and found a single king sized bed with a sofa bed. The bed was way too big for the room. You can't even fully open the closet doors because of the bed.
So, I went back to the check-in desk to ask what about the discrepancy of what I paid for and what I actually got. It was explained to me that the hotel was overbooked and no rooms with double beds were available. The clerk told me they would have a roll away bed sent up immediately.
Well, "immediately" turned out to be over 30 minutes. We got a knock on the door from room service and the person handed us extra towels and scampered down the hall, but did not leave a roll away bed.
I had to stop her to find out what was going on. She said there were no roll away beds available.
I made another trip to the check-in desk and was told the same thing; no roll away beds were available.
I then spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Expedia.
Expedia blamed the hotel for overbooking rooms, and the hotel blamed Expedia because they didn't have the most up to date information.
Expedia got me a 25% refund, and a coupon to redeem on future reservations.
The hotel said they upgraded me to a special floor, comped my parking (a whole $7.50) and gave me free breakfast that I did not eat because we had to leave to get ahead of the icy weather that hit our area.
All I know is, the total lack of proactive communication frustrated me the most.
If I ever go back to Dallas, I won't be staying at this hotel, and I won't use Expedia.
This review was written a day after I returned home and the entire experience still has me highly aggravated.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ArkTed
SSDAL, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Market Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Greetings ArkTed,

My apologies for us not being able to accommodate the room type you reserved, and for any lack of communication on our end. Booking directly with the hotel is typically the best option (we have the best rates guaranteed on our website), particularly during a large city wide event weekend. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of service. It would be my pleasure to personally oversee the details of your accommodations.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

We were in Dallas for the NCA National Cheer competition, so the hotel was maxed out and FULL of hundreds of cheerleaders littering the lobby, restaurants, lounges, elevators and hallways. I had called several weeks before our trip because we had some specific room requests. Instead of being met with the usual, "I'll put the request in, but can't make any guarantees until you check in" nonsense, Alan said to me, "Sure, I'll be happy to help you with that request." He blocked the rooms we needed together, put us on the floor we requested and made sure that I had his name in case there were any issues when we arrived. We were coming in at midnight, so I knew that if I had waited we would have had little choice of rooms. In all my travels, I have NEVER been met with that response.

Check-in went smoothly, the rooms are perfect. It had a separate living room with pull-out couch, mini-fridge, microwave, big bathroom, the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on AND a balcony. We really enjoyed this room. There were plenty of easily-accessible outlets for all of our electronic devices and lots of counter space for our girls to prepare for their competition.

At the breakfast buffet (which was in a special room for competitors), one of the staff members must have overheard me telling a friend that I didn't see any hot tea by the coffee and water. Within minutes a cup of piping hot Earl Gray was placed before me. Really? You would think that we were at a 5-star resort with this kind of service.

We reserved a spot on the hotel shuttle the previous evening and when we realized the next morning that we wouldn't be ready in time to make it, I called the front desk to cancel my spot so that someone else could take it. A few minutes later, the front desk called my room to confirm, just to be sure that I was aware of the cancellation in case someone else had done it on my behalf. Again, going above and beyond what I would have expected.

These people worked hard this weekend and were constantly bombarded with special requests, problems, screaming girls, loud music and who knows what other obstacles. They performed with smiles and cheerful attitudes which made our stressful visit SO much more pleasant.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely come again. The manager of this hotel deserves some accolades for training his staff so well! They are consistently pleasant, helpful and accommodating, Thank you!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank barbaraingram

Greetings Barbaraingram,

Thank you for selecting Sheraton Suites Market Center Dallas for your home away from home during the NCA Cheer competition. And thank you for taking time to share a detailed review of your experience with the TripAdvisor community. Be assured I've passed along your kudos to the team! What you describe is what we aim to provide all of our guests, whether it's during a large citywide event like the cheer competition or a typical weeknight of business travelers. Thank you again and we look forward to hosting another stay should your travels return you to Dallas.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed one night for business with generally good experiences. Front desk and restaurant staff were top notch. Hotel feels a bit dated, but generally clean and received competitive nightly rate. Would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Hello Andyman1970,

Thank you for staying with Sheraton Suites Market Center Dallas and thank you for the review. I'm happy to learn that overall you enjoyed your experience at our hotel. We're always making improvements to our product and service so stay tuned. We look forward to welcoming back soon.

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

One of the only hotels downtown Dallas with an indoor pool for the kiddo's. Suites are tiny and things are starting to show wear and tear. Exercise room was nicely equipt. Staff was friendly and the kids had a good time.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
gmJET, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Market Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Greetings jmcfarland76, Thank you for choosing Sheraton Suites Market Center Dallas for you recent family outing. I'm pleased to learn that overall the family had a good time. We hope to welcome you back soon! Warm Regards, Jason

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Overall, I'd stay here again. The location is super convenient and that means a lot in a sprawling metroplex like Dallas. It's as close to "dead center" outside of downtown as one can get - and has access to multiple highways easily.

The property itself is a mixed bag. The first room I was assigned to had maintenance issues (fixtures not affixed, stains in the tub), but I was promptly assigned to a new room. There is an over-usage of air freshener, which is something most definitely worth knowing if you're fragrance sensitive.

The bed was comfortable. As other reviewers noted, the king bed comes almost to the door - not the end of the world, but again, worth knowing.

My rate happened to include parking, but be aware that not all rates do.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
SSDAL, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Market Center, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Greetings PHX Jeremy,

Thank you for staying with Sheraton Suites Market Center Dallas during your recent visit to the Big D. We strive to provide every guest with a comfortable and defect free stay and my apologies we fell short on your first suite. We hope to see you again should your travels return you to the Downtown Dallas area. Feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of service.

Warm Regards, Jason

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed here over a weekend for a wedding - even though we live north of Dallas, being able to have a "home base" within 5 minutes of the wedding and related events we had going on for the weekend was really nice.

The hotel itself was kept up very nicely and the room was nicely furnished, clean and modern. However, the suite we had was very small compared to other Sheraton/Starwood property suites we've stayed in. We were on club level with a skyline view.

The living area was small and the sofa bed took up nearly the entire room when unfolded. The bedroom had just enough room for the king size bed and small dresser - the door separating the living area from the bedroom actually touched the bed when it opened. This would not normally be an issue; however, we traveled with our 3 children (ages 2, 6 and 9) and there was no way the port-a-crib we'd requested would fit anywhere except the bathroom or wedged up against the hotel room door. We canceled the request and instead had our toddler sleep with us. Again, I mention this because if you are a frequent Starwood property guest, you may be surprised at the size of these suites compared to other properties...and if you're traveling with children or extended family, you may want to inquire about the possibility of a larger suite (not sure if they are available at this property) or perhaps request an additional room.

Other than the small issue with size, the hotel was lovely. We never heard our neighbors even though we were told the hotel was at capacity. Staff was incredibly courteous and bent over backward to make sure our stay was comfortable. Check-in was quick and easy - be warned, though, that there is no valet to park your car or bellhop to take your luggage. This is not the end of the world for us, but worth knowing since many Sheratons offer these services.

We had lunch at the restaurant and the sandwiches offered were just outstanding. The next morning we had breakfast in the club lounge (dear husband is Starwood Platinum) and found it to be quite good. Scrambled eggs, bacon, oatmeal, an assortment of pastries, waffles, yogurt and fruit.

We found this hotel to be quite nice and would stay here again should the need arise.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank infamousmare
SSDAL, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Market Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Good Day infamousmare,

Thank you for taking time to post your review of our Sheraton Suites Market Center Dallas. I'm glad to learn that overall you enjoyed your experience with us. We look forward to hosting your next Dallas "staycation".

Warm Regards, Jason

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed at the Sheraton Suites Market Center with my family primarily because of the indoor heated pool. This hotel is one of only 3 SPG hotels in Dallas/Ft Worth with an indoor heated pool.

The staff was great, as I always experience at SPG properties. We were upgraded to club level with a skyline view.. a nice room with a balcony.

The suite was a true separate room with King bed with pull out couch in the main living area. A great setup for a family vacation.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Greetings Tom W,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to the Downtown Dallas Area. I'm happy to learn our suite worked well to accommodate your family needs. Our indoor pool and whirlpool are certainly a nice amenity in winter! We look forward to hosting your next visit to Big D.