“Five star service, four star rooms, but overall a wonderful stay”

Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek
Ranked #8 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Berkshire, UK
“Five star service, four star rooms, but overall a wonderful stay”
Reviewed 13 August 2006

We stayed here en route to Las Vegas from London - thinking we may as well see Dallas rather than just the airport in transit. We booked "escape to luxury" rooms for 3 nights- described as Premier King-450 Sq Ft-marble Bath-garden Tub-Sitting Area-french Doors-private Balcony.

The only disappointment was that the description lost something in translation. from American to English, e.g ..."garden tub" does NOT mean a plunge pool, but apparently a larger than average bath tub (firmly fixed in the bathroom) and thef rench doors don't lead to an outdoor sitting area, but to a teeny weeny balcony. HOWEVER, having established that this was what we'd paid for, we relaxed and the iced teas/ coffees and brilliant service more or less made up for the shortcomings in the room and our initial shock at seeing the average size rooms, rather than the splendour and private garden we'd expected.

What makes the place is the staff-the concierge gave a great dinner recommendation, and the complimentary drivers as well also took us around the nicer area of Dallas- the free limo is a real boon. The pool area, whilst small, does have sufficient sunbeds to accomodate all that wanted to sit there, and the service and mojos there again superb. All in all a very nice stop over en route to other US cities, and we found the whole Turtle Creek area charming - a great breakfast in the hotel and also (at 1/4 price) in a nearby cafe, BreadWinners that's a pleasant 1/4 hour stroll away. Not sure I'd pay any more for the more expensive rooms given the limited amenities than the price we paid for our room (c 350$ /night) given grounds non existent, and size of pool, but notwithstanding this the hotel has a charm of its own, and we really enjoyed our stay.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — lack of grouns
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
6 Thank fussy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 9 June 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Mansion on Turtle Creek following our wedding. Our suite was luxurious, the staff and service was wonderful, and we couldn't have been happier with our choice of hotel! From the moment we arrived, the staff made us feel special and welcome. We look forward to returning here in the future, and I'd recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2004
3 Thank maminshe
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed 14 April 2006

Our stay at the Mansion on Turtle Creek was flawless, with an attentive staff, a large, comfortable room, and orchids everywhere. Our plane was delayed by high winds and had to stop on the way to DFW, so we got in serveral hours late, were exhausted and famished. We had room service that was impressive and friendly with truly awesome tortilla soup -- one of their specialties. Can't recommend this place highly enough -- and we are picky and experienced travelers.

• Stayed April 2006, travelled on business
6 Thank David71
springfield, mo
Reviewed 4 April 2006

I am writing to report a dreadful experience at the Mansion on Turtle Creek. My wife and are extremely disappointed about the whole ordeal and my colleagues can hardly believe what I told them as they have stayed at the Mansion before.

My wife and I arrived on March 31st for a two night stay utilizing two of the Mansion’s packages (The Mansion Experience and the Mansion Serenity packages). Our arrival was uneventful. After lounging by the pool for a short while we attempted to dress for dinner. We had reservations in The Restaurant at 7:30. At this point the bottle of champagne I had requested to be delivered at 6:30 had not been delivered so I was upset and my attitude about The Mansion on Turtle Creek became worse with each passing minute. At 6:40 I tried to take a shower. When I turned the handle to turn the shower on; water sprayed 360 degrees around the fixture. I engaged the shower and the spray lessened somewhat. However, the tub would not drain. In fact, after a brief shower the tub was over half full and my wife still needed to take a shower. I called the concierge and they sent an “engineer” to the bathroom to fix the problem. Here we are on what was supposed to be a luxurious 3 day weekend only to have a gentleman using a long “snake” to unclog a plugged drain. How did housekeeping clean the tub when it had a clogged drain? In any case, the man couldn’t unplug the drain so the front desk attempted to move us to another room. A bell attendant came and escorted us to the second floor (we had been staying on the first floor) through a gauntlet of industrial fans. There were extension cords taped down over the hallway…how posh. We were both pummeled with high pressure air as we moved through the hallway. I asked the bell attendant what the problem was and he said that a drain on the third floor had plugged causing flooding on the second floor. A plugged drain in our first floor room and a third floor room seems indicative of a hotel-wide problem with plumbing. When we reached the room at the end of the wet hallway the gentleman opened the door and all three of us were greeted with the potent fumes of fresh paint. I could hardly believe it. This room must have been painted within 24 hours to smell that bad. I immediately asked for another room. The next room that we were presented with was a smoking room and it was noxious as well. Apparently, the only two rooms left were a freshly painted room and a smoking room. We had the leftovers to choose from. I became somewhat angry at this point and went directly to the front desk to talk with Kevin and a women who was “the assistant front desk manager.” Both were, in my opinion, incompetent and should take the Ritz Carlton’s training course ASAP. Both talked in the most uncaring manner. The assistant manager apologized but did nothing to help us. She said she would search for another room, but it would be difficult to find since the hotel was at capacity. Why would I let them show us another room anyway when the ones they showed us thus far were so awful? Did they show me the terrible rooms first and then save the proper ones if I complained? I told the woman at the front desk that I was going to check out. Instead of trying to find us a room at their sister hotel The Crescent Court, or anything for that matter, she said ,”we hate to loose you…” as if I had a choice. There were no rooms! Then she said there would be a room opening up tomorrow night. What, my lady, did you want my wife and I to do tonight…sleep in our car? I then told her to call The Four Seasons and reserve me a room and she quickly called as if to wipe her hands of us. No compensatory offer of any type was made at that point. I did later receive a message on my cell phone from Kevin saying I would receive a certificate for one free nights stay in the future. In my opinion that was too little to late, we were already gone. We needed assistance that night, not in the future. How can Mobil give The Mansion five stars, but the Greenbrier gets 4? AAA is easy to please and get five diamonds from, but my trusted Mobil guide? Either they haven’t stayed in recent history or someone is getting some help. In either case, my wife and I are upset and disappointed as we wanted our first stay at the Mansion to be magical. The Four Seasons was wonderful as usually. Was this an off night or indicative of a once great hotel resting on its reputation…waiting for the dreaded day when the Ritz-Carlton (opening in 2007) opens up down the street?

Stayed April 2006
20 Thank mtsod
waco , texas
Reviewed 2 March 2006

I want to start by saying I am a hotel freak and look for different experiences at the beach, in the City, out in the country etc. The Mansion At Turtle Creek was where my hubby and I celebrated Xmas this year and the hotel and amenities were lovely. They had Christmas Carols playing in our room( slightly dated) when we arrived, gingerbread cake, etc. We ate dinner in the main dining area--it was prix-fixe and I was very looking forward to some excellent food. I am not a picky eater and I found the food very salty, my steak was overcooked--personal pet peeve--and loads and loads of garlic. I LIKE garlic,salt etc, just way too much to be in balance at Turtle Creek. Maybe it was because the the restaurant was so heavily booked(?)
Room service the next day was excellent.--Also, it was $60 plus tip for breakfast. All in all, we spent a grand in 24 hours. The month prior we got a room on Hotwire.com at the Hyatt --$89, upgraded at check in and our experience was just as nice. I don't mind shelling out the bux every now and again, if it's worth it. Save your money at the Mansion, there are tons of great hotels in Dallas--Cheers!

• Stayed December 2005
10 Thank TeamBell
overland park, kansas
Reviewed 7 February 2006

My husband and I stayed at the MOTC in Dallas for our anniversary. Hotel was just as we expected...pleasant, inviting, and beautiful. Staff was accomodating...not stuffy. Air of elegance and professional service expected in a 5 star hotel.
Rooms are oversized, with small,lovely balconies with French doors that fully open. Had a fabulous dinner at the Mansion restaurant. Perfect!

9 Thank djm0810
Locust Dale, VA
Reviewed 25 January 2006

We stayed at The Mansion on Turtle Creek for three nights and couldn't have been more pleased. We expect exceptional quality when we travel. I dream of returning. We picked up a great package off their website and it totally exceeded our expectations. Our room was lovely with a small private garden, a gorgeously appointed bed and a comfortable and tasteful sitting area. Breakfast in the restaurant was fantastic....but dinner was nothing short of amazing.

The service throughout our stay was thoughtful, friendly and more than we expected in every way. The doorman and valet even put our sweet old dog Honey's ramp into the car for her when we were ready to leave the hotel.

The entire staff was friendly and service was over the top.

Being true wine lovers we so appreciated the wines we chose for pairing with all the courses in the tastings menu. All were chosen with the assistance of the very helpful and attentive sommelier. He even sent over a glass of the most perfect Sauterne to go with our foi gras!

Our stay was perfect in every way.

• Stayed February 2005