“Over-Hyped and a bit Shaby.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek

Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek
Ranked #7 of 200 Hotels in Dallas
Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Over-Hyped and a bit Shaby.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2007

Only booked here as Rosewood's better Dallas Hotel Crescent Court was fully booked. Would not chose this property again. As a frequent guest of Rosewood resorts and the Crescent Court, one would think the front desk would not book me in the worst Rosewood room ever. Refuse any rooms on the ground floor !My non-smoking room had cigarette buts on the patio, the TV entertainment system was in need of updating and the shower was dirty. Not to mention I had a nice view of a dirty stucco wall.

I suspect this place was alot nicer when their 5 star restaurant was open, but unfortunately we never got to try it as it is closed until November for renovations. This place may have been 5 star 5 years ago, but not on this stay. Pool service was spotty i.e. no one really there to fetch drinks, and the concierge average.

This is a nice place but NOT on par with the Rosewood brand, especially when compared to the Crescent Court down the street. Perhaps after renovating the restaurant they will make other upgrades to the hotel. This hotel is a distance from downtown area, and if you have a choice of Rosewood hotels in Dallas, you should definitely book Crescent Court over the Mansion.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mjpalm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2007

This one snuck up on me. I found myself more and more impressed by the Mansion. Here's why the Mansion is sneaky:
1. Its Dallas - who knew?
2. It was pouring at arrival and there was a guy there to grab my bag and hold an umbrella for me to get inside the lobby.
3. Check in was all of a minute.
4. Bellman had my bag the whole time from the point I arrived to the point I entered my room. I never touched the bag - nor did I have to ask for a bellman.
5. Complimentary car service provided by the hotel (sweet ride too).
6. Well done room. Size is right. Bathroom is up to date and well done.
7. Seating area. Plenty of room. Didn't feel like it was squeezed in there.
8. They actually followed up on things. I asked for the WSJ, and it was there on the door handle every morning.

The rooms were decorated well, and offered the services you would expect of a fine hotel - minibar, internet, turndown, etc. They were also the right size. I don't think you can have too big of a room, but you certainly can have a room that is too small. For example, the Four Seasons in Maui is too small for the money, and perhaps the Halekulani - but the Four Seasons in Lanai is huge and the Mansions rooms are similar, but not as big as the FS Lanai.

My only bark: The rooms need flatpanel tv's.

I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, but I hear it is good. I had room service (breakfast) it was actually, quite tasty (breakfast taco) and arrived quickly (25 mins). There is a bar too.

• Liked — Service
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank VermontGolfer
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2007

My husband and I stayed here on our wedding night. It was a great hotel--our room had a queen sized bed with a seperate little area with a couch and TV. We also had some french doors that opened to the outside, but we didn't walk out there (if you could). We arrived in our wedding attire after our 3:00 wedding (around 6:00) and he had already checked us in and put our stuff in the room. We had our bags taken to the room and we were escorted there also. The bathroom was very nice and so was the room. The bed was so comfortable--my husband said that people who stay there often order the beds to have in their own homes! He got a discounted price by going to an online site instead of paying $600 at the hotel. We walked around a little the next morning, but didn't get to see much or enjoy the restaurant. When we checked out, they said, "We'll see you on your one year anniversary." I thought that was a cute little touch. Nice hotel. Expensive, but nice.

• Liked — Room was very nice, super clean, comfortable bed!
  • Disliked — Price was really high!
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
East Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2007

Our second stay here...elegant, quiet, very comfortable room. The staff is attentive and ready to serve. We had a delicious breakfast in the beautiful pavillion. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
greensboro nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2007

We spent three nights at the Mansion hotel and could not find fault with ANYTHING!!! We travel a great deal, and stay in five star resorts and hotels, and our overall experience was as good as any hotel anywhere. The staff is so friendly and helpful, and the hotel is absolutely beautiful. Our room (deluxe) was so well planned, lots of storage space, esp. in the bathroom. Even though the hotel is 25 years old, everything is as fresh and lovely as when it opened (and we stayed there then, too). It is very close to downtown, and the great shopping and antique stores, yet very residential feeling, and our room was quiet as a tomb and the bed incredibly comfortable. We had room service, cocktails and several meals, all were superb. Their dining room and bar remind you of a beautiful European hotel. Highly recommend!!! Esp. for a special occasion, or entertaining clients as we were.

Stayed January 2007
3 Thank Lisa B
Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2006

I stayed at the Mansion while doing a site visit for a conference we are going to have in early 2007. I must say that the hotel itself is charming, quaint, and just has a good energy around it. I checked in without incident and the staff was cordial, but not overly friendly. I went to my room on the 6th floor and found it to be well appointed and comfortable. When I am on these site visits, I like to get as much privacy as possible, while still scoring on things such as turn down service, room service, etc. I called room service to satisfy my sweet tooth and the brownie pie a la mode was excellent. One thing, I am an iced tea drinker...I loathe the flavored teas, so be sure to ask for regular ol' Lipton if you order iced tea otherwise you'll get whatever flavor of the day they have. I did get a note under my door from the general manager welcoming me (that's standard with site visit guests) and also a note from housekeeping that they tried to do turn down service, but I had the do not disturb sign up. The shower and toiletries were excellent, the room was well cleaned. Now cut to me the next morning (wake up call service was right on time and with the 3 telephones in a standard room, I was sure to find one within reach when they called) and my legs and feet itched like crazy. Upon investigating I found tons of little bites on my legs and feet, I was disgusted and oh so itchy. I debated whether or not to tell the front desk. I decided to tell them, so I asked for the manager and the "front desk supervisor" came over and I was embarassed to have to tell them, especially with other patrons standing around me, but I had no choice, so I told the lady and she immediately went to get the manager. She asked if I wanted some benadryl and I declined saying it would make me drowsy, but that some cortizone would probably help. I had the cortizone within five minutes of my request, so I had every manager in the hotel apologizing and looking mortified that I had, had that experience. Other than that, the hotel was just lovely and beautiful. I did get an email stating that EcoLab was sent up to my room and didn't find any bed bugs or anything, yet the proof on my legs and feet was evidence enough to me that some creepy crawly critters were there in my bed or on the couch or in the carpet with me. Mary at the Concierge desk was very polite and knowledgable. She called ahead to Patrizio's to make sure I had a table when I got there. A couple of things I didn't find appealing were: 1. There is no shuttle service from the airport so you must hail a taxi (about $60 with gratuity) and 2. The gentleman driving the townecar seemed on edge and irritable, not with me but with life...it made me feel uneasy. He got me to where I was going safely, so I guess it doesn't matter about attitude necessarily. Overall it was a nice hotel, and I know they do desserts good, and breakfast was tasty as well. Try the french toast!

• Liked — The bed was comfortable
  • Disliked — The critters I encountered
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank amywynn217
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2006

I just spent two days in Dallas and had a great experience at the hotel. Certainly the room decor could be a little fresher and the food was not upto their reputation-but the service and staff are top notch.

• Liked — The well trained and pleasant staff
  • Disliked — The food was not upto standard
  • Tips/Secrets — Make a dinner reservation off property