“Tired of the same ol', same ol'?”

Warwick Melrose - Dallas
Ranked #12 of 207 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed 1 December 2011

The Warwick Melrose Hotel, located on the edge of downtown Dallas, provides the traveler with a pleasant and comfortable alternative to high-end national hotel chains. Think "a little bit of Europe" in the US. The Landmark restaurant is one of the best in Dallas, the Library bar is friendly and comfortable, and the staff attentive and responsive. Built in the late 1920s, the Melrose offers very comfortable, old fashioned style with modern amenities including wi-fi, exercise facilities, valet parking and a location close to much of the Dallas "action." While the standard rooms are very acceptable, the corner suites, especially those facing west, are wonderful. We don't and won't stay anywhere else in Dallas!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,125)

Reviewed 30 November 2011

We stayed here for one night after a wedding reception and it was very nice. The front desk was very helpful and booked us at the discounted rate for our wedding party even though we booked at the last minute. The architecture is classy and our room was nicely appointed. There was a fully stocked minibar in the room that we had the will not to utilize. There was a little noise from the room above us but nothing that was too out of the ordinary for most hotels. The valet parking was a little steep at $25/night but it was nice not to have to walk anywhere to get our car. The Library Bar in the lobby was not your normal hotel bar. It was packed on a Saturday night and seemed like a great place to hang out even if you weren't staying at the hotel. Overall a very satisfying stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I love this hotel...it was converted from apartments so there are many variations of rooms and none are like the typical hotel room. We were in a wedding that was held at the hotel, the reception was at the hotel, and we had a block of 18 rooms. I went in a few different rooms and love them all. The Fine Arts Suite is gorgeous. The hotel staff made the experience lovely! We got such beautiful pictures n & around the hotel, too.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stayed at the hotel for Thanksgiving week and really enjoyed the entire venue. Room was spacious and comfortable, the bar area was cozy, warm, and surprisingly affordable. Conveniently located to all points of interest within Dallas. Charming staff. Old World elegance. Highly recommended and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room - huge and lovely.
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We stayed three nights at the Warwick (as part of a wedding celebration) and got a great deal. The room was spacious, well decorated and very comfortable but what really made our stay fantastic was the Library bar. The bar staff were very friendly and provided great service. I think this is a hotel that could be excellent if it just paid a little more attention to detail - for instance although the food was great quality, the service didn't always come up to the same level. At breakfast one morning (in the bar since the restaurant was undergoing renovations) the waitress got two out of the four meals incorrect - yes we did get that fixed but it seemed a little out of character for a hotel of this level. Also at one of the buffet dinners we attended the staff did not seem to know which foods were vegetarian - this could have been because the hotel hired some extra outside caterers to help with the large service but again it seemed at odds with my perception of the rest of the hotel, These are small things that can be improved on - but if I am in Dallas again I would stay at the Warwick!

Reviewed 14 November 2011

I stayed here as part of a medical conference in November. This got me a group rate of $185 for my room and I still felt ripped off. There were some positives. The staff was very friendly, for the most part, and tried to be helpful. It is also fairly clean. If you like having a mini-bar, the one in the room was quite extensive and well stocked, and the pillows were especially soft and comfy. There was also good hot water. That is about it for positives. Where do I begin with the drawbacks of this hotel? First, after checking in, we realized the thermostat in our room had dead batteries, one phone was non-functional, and there were lights out. The thermostat was fixed within an hour, the phone never fixed, and the light bulbs changed after about 4 days. Also, they provide your own ice machine in the room... a neat feature... except ours was broken and never fixed or replaced. The location was not great, either. If you want to get downtown you cannot walk and have no easy public transit option. You really need a rental car at this hotel since you are a good distance from most places you will want to go. While it was not a big issue for me, it should be noted that the hotel is also located right in the heart of a vibrant gay community in Dallas. Each night during our stay we observed cross-dressers outside the hotel and were approached about our interest in certain "shows" twice. My biggest issue at night was the noise. Even with my room on the top floor, the street noise poured right in. The whole night is filled with sirens, loud honking, people shouting, and so forth. Walls are also very thin. People on our floor were having parties until the early morning hours on two nights and we could hear everything they were doing and saying. The room set-up also seems poor. There is a very nice TV, and it is about 25 feet from the bed and about 18 feet from any sitting area. They put the chairs and bed on the far opposite side of the room, and that made no sense... the remote could not even reach that far so you need to stand up and walk over to the TV if you want to turn the TV on/off, change the volume, or channel. The bathroom was tiny with barely any room for personal items, and a tiny antique shower. Closet space was minimal, with 7 hangers total. I requested two wake-up calls... one came 35 minutes late and the other 20 minutes early. Seriously? Finally, the extra costs are very, very high. Internet is $12 per day, valet parking is your only option and it is $25 per day, and the bar/restaurant are very high-cost. Drinks are about $10 at a minimum and it was $19.70 for a grilled cheese with a cup of tomato soup ($15 + $2 service charge + 18% automatic tip). I just didn't get it. They seem to present themselves as a luxury hotel and certainly charge you a price that reflects it, but I have had much better stays at basic chains like the Holiday Inn, Best Western, or Courtyard. Do not stay at this hotel unless you absolutely need to. I already contacted the heads of this medical conference and advised them to change the hotel next year. For the price you will pay, there are FAR, FAR better options in Dallas or the general DFW area.

Room Tip: If you want a decent room, my best advice is to go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Joseph K
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I was sent to Dallas with little notice on a two-day business trip a few years ago. My colleague and I were literally driving into the city from DFW and scrolling through hotel options when we more or less blindly settled on the Warwick Melrose ecause it was fairly near where we needed to be the next day. As it turned out, it was a terrific decision.

This was a grand, old hotel, and I appreciated its charming touches. If you're looking for slick, this isn't it. The staff was very friendly, and my room was large, old-fashioned and comfortable. We were in town on a Sunday, and we enjoyed an absolutely delightful brunch in the hotel restaurant. Not only was the food terrific, we soaked up the atmosphere. I distinctly remember a group of gracious women, dressed in their Sunday best after church, celebrating a birthday at the table next to us. They were delightful (their accents too) and we couldn't help but do some eavesdropping.

The location was also a nice surprise. The hotel is located near the Oak Lawn and Turtle Creek neighborhoods, a few miles from downtown Dallas. The neighborhoods are affluent and pretty, with several good restaurant options. The first night, we simply walked down the block and found a good Mexican plan, the second, we drove to a fantastic old-school burger joint (alas, the name escapes me). We had a little downtime, and the hotel made a good base of operations to see some sights, including Dealey Plaza and the Book Depository museum, and the Ft. Worth stockyards.

Lastly: while I can't promise this always holds true, we were pleasantly surprised to get a very reasonable rate. The hotel is worth checking out.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business