“So disappointing”

Warwick Melrose - Dallas
Ranked #13 of 205 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is an old property in the Oak Lawn area of Dallas which is close to the Park Cities/SMU and Downtown. The main areas of the Melrose are well maintained and it is obvious why so many special events are booked for this hotel. Our room was adequate, but the bathroom needs remodeling. For a historic property, the rooms are rather large. The sitting area and bed were very comfortable but the bathroom seems to have been crudely updated in the 1970’s with a console table to serve as additional counter space and an inadequate mirror (i.e. no additional lighting to help with makeup and no full-length mirror). Also, the tub/shower had a very thick fabric shower curtain and no lighting. All of the windows were horribly drafty and you could hear street noise – especially sirens during the night from the fire station across the street.

One of the main reasons that we stayed here was for the historic bar in the hotel. On Friday night, the Library Bar was a very nice atmosphere. It was a refined, older crowd. However, on Saturday night, the bar patrons were a different story. It was much younger “neighborhood” crowd, packed and loud. My husband was shoved from behind at the bar and the minimum wage “security guard” did nothing about it. The on-duty management also was hard to locate and then she also did nothing and implied that she was not concerned about hotel safety. It was rowdy – more like a night club than a hotel bar. I cannot imagine that a hotel would rather cater to the neighborhood crowd than the guests that are paying to stay in this hotel. A manager did call my husband a few days later to apologize and say that he would review how the situation was handled. But the damage was done and we remain very disappointed by our experience at this hotel. We would not stay here again, let alone recommend it to a friend or business colleague.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
LarryRMc, General Manager at Warwick Melrose - Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the time you devoted as it helps us in our efforts to continually improve our services and address specific issues. All of us the Warwick Melrose Hotel strive to provide and an enjoyable and relaxing guest experience. We were disappointed to hear you encountered some shortcomings during your stay. This is certainly not the type of experience we base our reputation on and I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this may have caused you. The Library is a very busy and popular Bar. Repeatedly we are voted the number one Hotel Bar in Dallas by D magazines readers. We try our best to accommodate all hotel guests, however we are not a club and we are open to the public as well. This includes our surrounding neighborhood. There are times that we do close access due to laws relating to city occupancy code. We are sorry your Saturday experience was not as good as your Friday experience, and hope that should you return to Dallas you try us again.

There are newer reviews for Warwick Melrose - Dallas

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Our experience of the hotel was very positive. The hotel itself is beautifully decorated and appointed and well-maintained. My interaction with staff was very positive.

We would definitely recommend it for meetings/events/stays.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Angela,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. The time you devoted is important as it assists us in our efforts to improve our services and address issues we may not be aware of. We appreciate your business, and hope your travels return you to our door. Best regards.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I stayed here for my wedding in April; Friday night was with my bridesmaids, and Saturday was with my husband. I regret that we had a very disappointing experience.

Since it was Final Four weekend in Dallas, rooms were selling at a premium. We booked a suite for $500/night. Having paid this much money on a room, we expected to be treated kindly and with respect.

When I checked in on Friday around 3 p.m., I requested a roll-away bed for my bridesmaids. The employee at the check-in desk promised me one for Friday night. I also gave her a heads up that a photographer would be on site taking photos on Saturday of me and my bridesmaids. I wanted to confirm this was alright, and she smiled, nodded, and explicitly said, "yes."

When we returned Friday night after my rehearsal dinner, we didn't have a roll-away bed in the room. My bridesmaids went to the front desk to request one, but the hotel was completely out. Rather than apologizing and offering to fix the situation, the manager at the desk (Derrick?) treated my bridesmaids as if they were children and completely dismissed them. They were offered pillows and blankets to sleep on the floor. $500 a night for a suite, and my bridesmaids slept on the floor.

Running out of roll-away beds is inevitable on a busy night at a hotel. It's a completely different situation, however, when one is requested and explicitly promised at check-in, then never delivered.

On the day of my wedding, I went downstairs to the front desk to once again confirm that my photographer was coming and was going to take pictures of me and my bridesmaids leaving the hotel. This time, the hotel informed me that they charge to take photos, and unless we were prepared to pay for a photoshoot, my photographer was not to take photos at the hotel.

This was followed-up by a phone call from my wedding coordinator and a personal visit from my photographer, but we were still denied permission. After paying $1000 to stay at the hotel, we felt it was unjust to pay an additional fee just to take photos of us leaving. We were paying guests at the hotel. And we couldn't take pictures. On my wedding day. How petty. Besides the photos we took in the room, I have zero pictures of me and my bridesmaids before we went to the church for the wedding.

This is supposedly one of the best hotels in Dallas, but the service we received during our stay April 4-6 was not reflective of this.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Jenny M
LarryRMc, General Manager at Warwick Melrose - Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey regarding your recent stay at the Warwick Melrose Hotel, Dallas, We appreciate the time you devoted as it assists us in our efforts to continually improve our services and address specific issues. I have looked into the specifics of your comments. We did have several blocks of rooms for wedding parties. One of which had blocked a significant amount of rooms and did have their wedding reception in our Ballroom. This group also reserved a wedding photo session in our hotel. The two room reservations made in regards to your room did not indicate you were here for a wedding, nor was their a request for a roll- away bed at the time of reservation. Generally if we know about the need for a roll-away we can always accommodate the request. I was sorry to hear that we could not accommodate your request on short notice. I am aware that the guest service agent refunded $200 for your inconvenience, Though I'm sure this did little to solve your immediate problem at the time.

Regarding photography:
Warwick Melrose Hotel, Dallas policy allows for wedding parties hosting a ceremony or reception with us the opportunity to take wedding pictures with a photographer at the hotel. Given that wedding pictures are taken in the hotel lobby and public spaces on most occasions, we prefer to preserve our guests’ experience by limiting the photo shoots to only those that have selected our hotel as the event venue. We do field inquiries daily for bridal portraits and wedding shoots, so demand for our hotel as a setting is high. Had we known in greater advance of your anticipated photo shoot, I am certain we would have been able to make some accommodations under the circumstances. This past weekend we had several people show up at our hotel to take wedding pictures though they were not staying here or had a reception planned. This is something we need to plan for in advance as our hotel guests value their privacy. At times we need to have guests sign off on image waivers to reduce our liability. Aside from the reserved photo shoot the weekend you described I am aware of several others that we were not aware of. One photographer was quite verbal with a manger when he was approached in our lobby in front of several hotel guests. We were aware that your party did take pictures in our lobby with a life size cut out of Ryan Gosling- which we thought was inappropriate for other guests and wedding parties in the hotel. When your photographer was denied access he threatened us that the bride was in social marketing and would blast us. Unfortunately, it appears that has been the case as this posting has been found on Expedia, Facebook and twitter as well as TripAdvisor.

We do value our reputation, as one of the best hotels in Dallas. It is for this reason that we have established these policies for the comfort and privacy of our guests.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

It just felt good to be there. Everyone was all so personable. I was there visiting my daughter at nearby SMU and after some not so pleasant experiences at other properties on previous visitis, decided to give this a try. I could not have wanted anything more in my room, see photos below.
The charming Library Bar was a lively experience with knowledgeable staff. Their tasty small plates were all great for sharing.
We did not dine in the hotel restaurants nor use their pool/spa facilities, perhaps next time.
( sorority functions all weekend long). They also offered us a ride to SMU in their shuttle for a campus event we were attending which was very helpful.
Their new room windows did indeed block the sounds from the street below ( I had read reviews here earlier) I suppose being on the top floor helped as well.
There was a large wedding going on that weekend but it was fun to see their special event as upon occasion it spilled into the lobby.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the Warwick Melrose Hotel, Dallas, We appreciate the time you devoted as it assists us in our efforts to continually improve our services and address specific issues. The Warwick Melrose Hotel is conveniently located for many parents and guest that are in town to visit their children attending SMU or attend events at SMU. We appreciate your kind comments.

I will share your comments with the management and staff at our next departmental meeting.

We appreciate your business, and hope your travels return you to our door, until then... best regards, Larry McAfee

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed a couple of nights in one of this hotel's Deluxe King rooms, and it was great. The cost with tax was roughly $200/night (through a sale on Expedia). The room was enormous, larger than many junior suites, and it was clean and well appointed. The hotel, more generally, is well situated in the Oak Lawn neighborhood, very close to Love Field. And the service was first rate. If/when I return to Dallas, it's hard to imagine that I'd stay anywhere other than the Warwick Melrose. The only negative at all is the fitness room, which is small and contains only a few somewhat dated machines.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
LarryRMc, General Manager at Warwick Melrose - Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thank you for posting your kind review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the time you devoted as our customers feed back gives us an opportunity to address issues we may not be aware of. This summer we will be undertaking a construction project that will add addition meeting and Banquet space. We will also be adding a pool, Spa and new fitness center. We hope that the new fitness center will address your fitness concerns. We appreciate your business and hope that should your travels return you to Dallas we will see you again.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We moved to the Warwick after an uncomfortable stay somewhere else, what a lovely surprise. It's an old classic but renovated beautifully so you feel like you are back in the time of stately elegance. From the valet service to the front desk everyone there makes you feel like a million dollars. The room was beautiful, the air conditioning worked and was whisper quiet, the bar was great with a nice happy hour and good service. We could walk to many great restaurant choices and it's in a nice neighborhood, I'd give it a 10!

Room Tip: They suggested a high floor on the back side of the hotel away from the streets, our room was very q...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. The time you devoted is important to us as it assists us in monitoring our consistency of guest service delivery. We appreciate your kind comments and have shared them with our staff at a recent employee meeting. We are quite proud of our Historic property and are happy that your recognize or deliberate through back in time. We appreciate your business and hope to see you return soon.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Ask for the corner rooms, nice and big.
The Library Bar was lively w/ a piano and singer...fun to stop in after dinner @ Al Biernet's a couple of blocks away.
George Bush Library, Highland Park and North Park were all great.
Great location for shopping!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 7139jane
LarryRMc, General Manager at Warwick Melrose - Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

April 11, 2014

Dear Jane,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the Warwick Melrose Hotel, Dallas, We appreciate the time you devoted as it assists us in our efforts to continually improve our services and address specific issues. We are happy you have discovered us and the benefits of our location and hotel amenities.

We appreciate your business, and hope your travels return you to our door, until then,

Warm wishes,