“The best traditional Tex-Mex”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
El Fenix Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #234 of 385 Restaurants in Denton
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Same plate I have been ordering since 1968: Cheese Enchilada Dinner. None better anywhere. Always comes quickly and hot, best with sliced, pickled jalapenos.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

We had a family birthday here. Guacamole with roasted corn and bacon added, extra flour tortillas, satisfied family from ages 4 to 70, great and patient service, shared a big ol' sopapilla for dessert. Lots of fun and enchiladas.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

First of all, you have to pay for queso which is bland and just thick melted cheese. We asked for tortillas and they were like store bought, not homemade and soft. I ordered cheese nachos thinking it would be a safe choice, and I ate only one. The chips were soggy on my nachos and the chicken was shreded which I assumed would be fajita style since the menu said it was seasoned chicken. My husband got Tacos Al Carbon and they were good, the rice and beans taste like a typical El Chico. The waiter was super nice and the chips that came with the salsa were crispy and fresh (which was the only thing postive in our visit). We are from Oklahoma and have a ton of great Mexican food restaurants, we thought we'd try something new while we were here in Texas, but next time we are heading North on I35, we will keep going and cross the border where they know how to do Mexicaan right! One last note, they charge extra if your child wants a juice refill... crazy!

Reviewed 25 January 2013

El Fenix has always been my favorite Mexican food restaurant. What has happened to it? We went for lunch recently and it was not good. I love their Taco Salad and didn’t even recognize it. The proportions are smaller but no more wonderful Taco shell bowl just a soggy flat shell on the bottom. Tons of lettuce, a little dab of sour cream and avocado on the top, probably a tablespoon of cheese, and we had a hard time finding any meat. Finally we discovered a small blob on the bottom. It had absolutely no taste and we had to keep dumping the chip salsa on it to have any flavor at all. What a disappointment. .

Reviewed 23 January 2013

El Fenix is the best place in town on a Wednesday night. Not only does one get to enjoy a quiet atmosphere and excellent service, but a plate of delicious cheese enchiladas for a great price.