“AMORE! BEST pizza in a pan”
Review of The Tomato Pizza in a Pan - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Tomato Pizza in a Pan
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Pizza, Fast food
Dallas
“AMORE! BEST pizza in a pan”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The Tomato is not just about pizza...it's about an experience! I remember the days of gaining SO much weight while attending UNT in Denton. And I attribute most of the waist expansion to THE TOMATO.
After the original location in Denton burned down...amidst directive of the landowners to close down the original Flying Tomato...you'll now find the new location nestled in the quiet town of Sanger, TX. The building is extremely old, as evidenced by a picture on the wall of the joint dating back to when it was a pharmacy. I'm not sure of the exact date, but the picture is in black/white and many of the patrons were wearing fedoras and suspenders. I think there may have been a handlebar moustache or two. Anyway, I chatted with the owner and his wife and got that same laid-back feel that I remember from the late '90's as the pizza always came out delicious and with a non-chalant, reserved confidence.
Let's not forget the atmosphere. The original location always had a great mix of free-spirited minds, students, business folk, athletes and anyone else who had the courage to enter a domain where the foosball table and jukebox dominated the sound waves. I personally dropped many a quarter in the music box so that others might enjoy Cold Shot or The Four Horsemen as much as I did. I like to imagine that I was the reason for a few smiles. The foosball table was professional grade and endured novice play on up to expert punishment. It was truly exciting to watch the pros get their game on. The owner told me that he got the foosball question on a regular basis and they were looking to bring one in. The original jukebox made it out of the old building and I couldn't resist ....blasted The Four Horsemen. I have to admit that I felt a little uncomfortable when the owner turned up the volume as the song launched with the only other non-worker being a sharply-dressed middle-aged man working on his laptop. I felt instant reassurance when the other owner (his wife) approached me and started speaking with raised voice over the loud guitars, "you rockin' out?" .....and then she smiled and bobbed her head. I was in.
You'll just have to experience the actual pie for yourself. If you like thick and saucy, then this pizza is for YOU. My words cannot do it justice.
Sure, they are a new establishment in this area and the management structure is different, so you may have to excuse the growing pains a bit. They mean well and are truly trying to get their footing .... and I know they will.
Go check out The Tomato!!!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Colton W

Irving, Texas
“Tried the New Location in Sanger, Texas”
Reviewed 31 May 2011

The short synopsis is: The food was OKAY… you can get better pizza in DFW without the hour long trip out to Sanger, but you’ll get better customer service at a McDonalds staffed by people who do not speak English and ignore you.

Here’s my story:

We were told about this pizza place by a friend of ours that went to UNT and spent many days at The Tomato in a Pan on Fry Street in Denton while he was in college. When our friend heard about the reopening after the original restaurant burned down in 2007, we decided to get a group of people together to make the trip up to Sanger for pizza over Memorial weekend.

When we got to the restaurant around 7:00 PM, it was decently busy. There were a few families seated and eating and one or two tables seated and waiting for their orders… We were a party of five and most of the tables only sat 2-4, but we found a rectangular table that we could add a chair to that had not been bussed yet. I kept my eye on that table and got in line with the other people. There were two people in line in front of our group of 5 (two couples +1). It took a good 20 minutes (if not more) to finally get our order taken. After our orders were placed, the table still had not been cleaned, so being an ex restaurant server, I started gathering things up… once I had pre-bussed (thrown the napkins and cups away and stacked the plates and utensils), someone finally came up and took them away for me. So, we sat down to wait.

Twenty minutes after sitting down (7:40), the first order arrived (a small pizza for the +1 of our group). He ordered a small pizza for here and it came in a to-go box, which was a little annoying but fine considering the rest of the evening. About 10 minutes later, the first couple’s large pizza came. They had ordered the special. We were directly in view of the kitchen, so I had been watching them make pizzas and take calls and call names since we got there. From 7:20 to 7:50, the kitchen was making large pizza after large pizza. I started to get nervous because my husband and I had each ordered a small pizza, and I never saw anyone make two small pizzas after the one made for our friend.

About 10 minutes after the large special came out for the other couple in our group, I decided to go up and check on our order because it had now been a full hour. I walk up and VERY sweetly ask if our order was cooking to which the young order taker/ to-go box creator very rudely snapped, “It’s in the oven!” I responded with, “okay. I just wanted to make sure we hadn’t been forgotten.” Then, he asks for my order name and goes in the back to check and see if our order was in fact in the oven. He comes back and tells me it’ll be another 5-10 minutes. 10 minutes later (That’s 8:10 for those of you keeping track at home), our order finally comes out. My small pineapple pizza was slightly on the done side… overly crunchy crust, brown cheese. My husband’s small special was, on the other hand, completely charred. The cheese was black, all of the toppings were black and the crust could not be cut with a knife – also black. Mind you, the other couple had ordered a large special (same toppings and everything) and theirs was perfectly cooked.

After attempting to take one bite and failing, we urged him to take it back to the kitchen. When he took it back, he pointed out that it was absolutely inedible and asked to have it remade, which I don’t think it too much to ask after waiting an hour and 10 minutes for this pizza. When he gets back to his seat, someone came to our table, who I can only assume was the manager for the evening as he was the oldest kid there, the manager tells us that his pizza was going to be remade and then informs us that nothing was wrong with the pizza we sent back and that the “special” is supposed to come a little more “done” than most pizzas. We were completely taken aback that someone would actually confront us and tell us that a pizza you could use as a Frisbee was supposed to be like that… when the OTHER Special our table ordered came out NOTHING like ours.

When we respectfully told the manager that the other special at our table was not charred and showed him a comparison, he informed us that the new pizza would take at least 30 minutes to make because he was not going to give us special treatment and put our remake in first but rather have the kitchen make the three delivery orders first before ours though we had paid over an hour earlier than these new phone orders.

Side note – I worked in a restaurant for 6 years and if we EVER had a remake, it would take TOP priority in the kitchen because even if the patron was totally WRONG, we would never tell them that, apologize profusely for “our” mistake and have their new order out within 5-10 minutes. So, you better believe when the fault was most certainly ours, there was absolutely no arguing or punishing of the patron for a wrong order.

After the rudeness of the “manager” telling us it would be another 30 minutes, we asked for a refund of the small pizza that was made incorrectly and left. By the time we left, it was 8:30 – a full 90 minutes after getting there.

To say the customer service was lacking would be the understatement of the century… this was the most absolute worst customer service I have ever seen.

We did get half of our order refunded, but my husband left a restaurant hungry and miserable and the rest of us left angry. Not only will I NEVER go back to this restaurant, I will make sure to tell EVERYONE I know and everyone I meet to never try this place. It may have been awesome 5 years ago when it was near campus but obviously they got new management when they moved 20 minutes north to Sanger.

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank heatherduck13
Dallas TX
“Will be missed”
Reviewed 3 August 2009

This place actually misnamed here- it's called "The Tomato" or the "Flying tomato". Regardless it is no longer with us. The property was bought out and it was torn down two years ago (summer 07) by a construction company, and it no longer exists. While it was there, it was a meeting place for one and all and their pizza was excellent! So far, nothing has been built in its place, and the lot stands empty.
They do have a myspace page??

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“It moved to somewhere...don't know where. Hated their pizza! it took forever to cook! And it was all sauce! NASTY! and...”
Reviewed 26 March 2008

It moved to somewhere...don't know where. Hated their pizza! it took forever to cook! And it was all sauce! NASTY! and the place was dirty too.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Best Ghost Pizza in town.”
Reviewed 28 February 2008

Best Ghost Pizza in town.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook