“The pros and cons of wedding at the Wildwood Inn, Denton, Texas”
Review of The Wildwood Inn

Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Denton
Reviewed 17 April 2010

Just some things to consider with a wedding at the Wildwood Inn. Part of my problem was I scheduled the wedding from a distance. So there were some details that were misunderstood.

The bad
1) They say they can handle 120 people so that is one reason I choose them. But at time of contract signing (it was a pretty quick wedding) I found out that is only if 50 or so are on the patio. We got lucky for a mid-March wedding in Texas so it wasn't too cold for the guest on the patio. However it did split the reception up. By the time I found out about having to use the patio, it was too late to consider other locations. So if you call any location and they say they can handle a certain number, ask if them mean in one room or more than one. Who knew I had to be so specific?

2) Be warned, they remove the buffet food quickly. The family was taking pictures for 30 mintues after the wedding and the food was removed 1 hour after the wedding, if not before. It was gone before I knew it and guests were left hungry. I was later sold a tray of cheese and fruit for $500. I could have bought an entire dairy in a poor country for that! (just kidding). The coordinators will tell you they removed the food because the bride & groom were ready to move onto the next event, but the bride and groom didn't have a clue that meant the food would be removed. The coordinators will also tell you this is in the contract, they are correct but please be warned. Buffet food may disappear too early.

3) The outside location rock is rough and usually muddy or dirty. I called a couple of weeks before and asked if I needed runners and was told no. Day before then wedding when we got a good look at it we realized by daughter's train would be ruined and didn't think we had time to solve the problem. So she was married in front of the pool with the guests on the patio. We had to buy patio stones so the bridesmaids did not sink in the grass. Most of the guests could not see the ceremony from that location.

4) The fancy gold chairs for $3 per person are not in the best of shape and look pretty plastic. They look OK in pictures, but not great in person.

5) The add ons add up so if you are looking at a location you think is higher than the Wildwood, make sure you look at all of the add ons. They maybe equal.

The Good
1) The taste of the food was good if you had time to grab any.

2) The coordinators were helpful as I put together my own arrangements.

3) The rooms are very pretty, large and really nice.

4) The location looks romantic.

5) They take credit cards (again, HA!HA!, you will need it).

In summary - I would recommend this location for a small wedding, but just consider the itmes I discussed above.

• Stayed: March 2010
8  Thank Momasweddingplanner
WildwoodDenton, Event Manager at The Wildwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2010

Please know that we appreciate any and all feedback from our customers. We hope to clarify some of the points mentioned in the above review:

- Our wedding contract and policies clearly state the comfortable capacity of our dining room and attached patio, which is covered and protected from rain and the elements. When planning a wedding from afar, it is even more important to thoroughly read through any vendors' contract before signing and paying a deposit.

- Our policies are also very clear that we remove the food from the reception about an hour and a half into the reception, and we never do this without consulting with the bride and groom beforehand. This is also discussed at the final details meeting when we review all the timeline details for the wedding day. In addition, if extra food is ordered at the last minute, consent for the additional cost is always obtained in advance from the responsible party. If a price quoted seems outrageous, we invite all of our customers to discuss and negotiate these concerns with us at that time. Once services are rendered and the food is consumed, however, we can not issue a refund of a charge that was previously agreed upon.

- Any outdoor ceremony is going to require dealing with the elements, such as rain, mud, dirt, wind, planes flying overhead, etc. These are things that are outside of our control. Additionally, our pergola area is stoned with flagstones that offer a rustic and pervious surface that offers more stability than grass while still allowing the roots of the trees below to receive water. If conditions at this ceremony site are not ideal for an outdoor ceremony, then we allow brides like the above bride to move their ceremony up to the patio or into our dining room.

- All of our brides are offered one of two types of chairs for their ceremony: a standard folding chair that is included or an upgraded gold chiavari chair for $2.50 per chair. The bride is also welcome to see the chairs prior to the wedding day if they wish. In addition, anyone is welcome to rent and bring in their own chairs if our chairs do not meet with their approval. Our staff will still set-up and tear down any chairs that are brought in from an outside vendor, as well.

- The Wildwood Inn does not have any hidden fees. The cost of all add-ons, tax and service charges is clearly outlined on all contracts/quotes before a guest books any wedding or event.

In conclusion, we invite all prospective brides and guests to contact us with questions regarding any of our policies, services, or specific items mentioned in reviews about our facility.

Reviewed 13 November 2009

My daughter had her wedding at the Wildwood Inn in Denton a few days ago. Our experience was wonderful. The staff handled our every need with professionalism, patience, and courtesy. During the planning stages they worked with us to insure that we would be satisfied with every detail. They graciously handled our numerous phone calls and answered all our emails promptly and courteously. The wedding and event planner worked with us all day on the day of the wedding. She made sure that the wedding went off flawlessly. The outdoor evening ceremony and reception were right out of a fairy tale. The grounds looked beautiful and the dining room was the perfect setting for an unforgettable reception. The buffet was set beautifully and the food was scrumptious – our hats are off to the great work of the Wildwood chef. They went the extra mile to prepare special entrées for the vegetarians in our families. This extra effort was greatly appreciated and made the evening more enjoyable for those who had special dietary needs. In addition, the bride and groom were able to enjoy a hot meal, thanks to the special preparation of their meal by the chef and kitchen staff. We cannot say enough about the wait staff. They courteously and attentively waited on everyone one in the room, weaving unobtrusively between tables and guests, making sure that we had everything we needed the entire evening. We are still getting emails from family and friends raving about everything – the facilities, the food, and the kindness and care given by the entire staff. The wedding was truly a special evening which will be remembered by family and guests for years to come.

In addition to hosting the perfect wedding, the Wildwood Inn of Denton is a great place to stay. My family booked rooms at the Wildwood Inn for the wedding. The three rooms were immaculate, well kept, and beautifully appointed. The beds were very comfortable and conducive to a good night’s rest. While there were a great number of guests in the inn on our last evening, we did not hear a sound once our door was closed. I would certainly recommend the Wildwood Inn of Denton as a great place to stay in addition to hosting a perfect wedding. Thanks to everyone at Wildwood for such a great stay and an unforgetable event!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Librarian3
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Had a fabulous party for my husband's special day as he graduated from law school. The service, food and attention to detail were everything we hoped for. Kudos to Lisa, Dustin, and the entire staff. The WIldwood is our new favorite spot for special occasions. We're planning a stay for our anniversary. A quiet refuge and a sanctuary right here in North Texas.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank edirks4life
Reviewed 21 October 2009

My son was married at this Inn. It's a beautiful facility. In fact, they booked the entire Inn for the event. It went off without a hitch and it was a beautiful ceremony and blissful reception party. Imagine my SHOCK when days later, my credit card had been charged $250 because there was an empty alcohol bottle left in our room upon check out. Apparently, they have a policy against outside liquor at their hotel. Well, Darn! It was sure nice if them to explain their policies to their guests upon check-in - especially since we'd booked the entire facility and we were there for a celebration. When I asked about this, I was rude and condescendingly told, scolded even, that it was right there in the fine print when I checked in (along with talking to other guests, etc). The manager informed me that she had explained this to the families and they knew. HELLO!!! I AM family and I had talked to them previously and it was NEVER told to me. This whole thing wreaks of a speed trap set-up and the accusatory tone of Lisa, the manager, was beyond belief. She supposedly watched as people came in and out of my room while I was at the reception with drinks. Supposedly she told them they didn't allow that. Hmmmm, if they don't, why did she not simply go into the room and remove the bottle??? Or better yet, since I'm responsible for the room, why not find me and give me the chance to remove the problem. But no....... instead she snaps a picture so she can bite me with it later on. How cowardly is that????? I was going to suggest the Inn to several folks I know with upcoming events. You can bet your bottom dollar I have nothing good to say about it now. Who knows what OTHER policies they have that they fail to explain to their guests upon check-in........ I would AVOID this place at all costs and suggest anyone who is going to do business with them HAVE YOUR LAWYER READ THE FINE PRINT before you get ripped off as well!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
9  Thank LaurieJW2
WildwoodDenton, Event Manager at The Wildwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2009

All guests are presented with some basic policies when they check-in, such as: please do not overflow your bathtub, please do not use real rose petals in the room, no pets allowed, no smoking, no outside alcohol allowed on the premises, etc. For guests at one of our weddings or events, we highlight the policy about the $250 fine if outside alcohol is brought on the premises in an effort to emphasize the importance of our guests’ compliance. The guest’s signature on the bottom of the card indicates that they have read and understand the policies. Of course, guests are always welcome to call our front desk and purchase a glass of wine, champagne, or a beer from our restaurant if they want to enjoy a drink. The Wildwood Inn possesses a “Beer & Wine Only” License through the Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission, which prohibits the consumption of hard liquor on the property. Failure to adhere to this law could result in the loss of our license, which is why we take this policy so seriously.

Having said that, we would never invade a guest’s privacy and search their room. If a guest is seen outside of their room with an unauthorized beverage, the staff may, out of courtesy, give a warning about our policy in order to encourage compliance and prevent the need to charge the guest a fine. We do not enjoy having to take these measures and do not seek to make a profit through such means. This can be evidenced by the fact that in our eight years of doing business we have only had to charge a guest for breach of our policies a handful of times. When, however, an empty liquor bottle is found in the room after checkout, then we have to uphold our policy, especially when a guest in that room was warned previously.

In addition, at this particular wedding, not only did this guest bring in outside liquor, but was also caught by our staff after the event with a pet on the property. Despite this one instance, however, it was such a pleasure working with this family during the evening and planning process. We truly hope to see them again for future occasions and anniversaries.

To our future and potential guests, I would just say that I hope that you will give us a chance to prove our level of service and professionalism to you during your own personal visit. We look forward to seeing you soon!

2602 Lillian Miller Parkway
Denton, Texas 76210
(940) 243-4919
(940) 387-9029 Fax

Reviewed 13 October 2009

My entire family was here for my husband's younger brother's wedding. Many of us have travelled from different parts of the country. At first I fell in love with the hotel, until I experienced the true colors of the wedding coordinator who was very unpleasant during the reception, especially to our children. None of the waiters/waitresses attending to the wedding party ever smiled. When my niece asked a waiter for some assistance with water that was spilled by a much younger niece, the waiter just nodded with annoyance.

This is what I recently wrote to their Advance Manager:
*************************
Dear Lisa,

My entire family was at a wedding at your establishment on ....... My husband, one of my sons, and I were part of the Wedding Party as Groomsman, Ring Bearer and Bridesmaid. The groom is a younger brother of my husband. My sons and I have attended many weddings not only in the USA but also abroad.

Although the weather at Wildwood Inn created a sudden change in the procedure of the .... wedding ceremony, the photographer shared with me that two weeks prior a similar weather change also occurred at a wedding held at Wildwood Inn. This indicates that a quick plan B is definitely included in the planning of all your outdoor events.

I could have empathized with the wedding coordinator, Ms. Courtney, who with much regret clearly showed she was unprepared with this sudden change of where and how the wedding ceremony was to be conducted. Hence this may have contributed to her being curt and shamelessly unfriendly to most of the guests (who indicated so later in the evening) and in particular to my four-year-old son. One instance, in a loud voice she did not hesitate to make condescending tonal remarks toward my son who may have physically stood where she had to maneuver objects to complete the wedding cake ceremony. A downgraded attitude of a wedding coordinator at a wedding is not only damaging but most embarrassing for the company she represents. My rhetorical questions are, is showing one’s annoyance while on duty at a wedding party indeed necessary? Has she totally forgotten about the essence of service when she was acting on behalf of your establishment which by the way is most attractive? Isn’t the wedding party income for your establishment hence able to pay the ‘services’ of a wedding coordinator? Have guests become that unimportant to a wedding coordinator who was clearly unable to make a gracious shift in attitude due to the circumstances?

Of course you’re going to say no. Perhaps too Ms. Courtney had personal challenges and she would have then been more professional if she didn’t. Yet, in my opinion, true professionalism as a wedding coordinator is showing total body language, tone of voice, and words that only charm all guests, not only the Bride and Groom, under any circumstance – rain or sunshine, kids standing in one’s way, or any other unexpected challenge. Being able to graciously complete one’s task particularly at a most important and private family event shows maturity, competence, love for her work, loyalty to the company she represents and one’s true ability as a wedding coordinator.

With much regret and respect, Ms. Courtney lacked all those qualities. And having acted so unprofessionally, she has, in my opinion and the members of the ... family, seriously marred your beautiful establishment.
********************
What a shame for such a charming hotel!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank OCGal518
WildwoodDenton, Events Manager at The Wildwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2009

For the purpose of explaining our policies to potential brides and other guests, please allow us to respond to the above posted review.

Please allow me to assure you that we are prepared to have several different options when weather is a problem. We always let the bride make the decision to wait out the rain or to have it either inside or on our covered patio. With a large 15 person wedding party you can imagine the difficulty of relaying the message to everyone about the change in plans while all 100 guests were waiting inside the main event space. At the bride’s request, once the brief bout of rain cleared, we moved everyone outside for the ceremony.

On several occasions at this particular wedding, our wedding coordinator and other staff members did have to remind all the children to not run in the hallways or up the stairs, to not touch the cakes, to not take or touch the room keys, etc. It is not only the wedding coordinators responsibility to run the event smoothly but to also ensure that the safety of the guests is maintained while also keeping our guestroom visitors happy. We did have guests call our front desk to indicate that they were not pleased with the amount of noise that was being experienced due to children in the hallways.

The intention of any stern speech was only to indicate the importance of compliance with the Inn’s policies. We hope you understand the large amount of emphasis we put on service and we never want a guest or visitor to leave our venue without a feeling of enjoyment; however, we understand that this is not always possible when the wishes of multiple parties are involved. We truly enjoyed working with the bride, groom, their families and vendors at this event and do hope that the overall experience was pleasant for those involved.

Lisa Burke, Events Manager
Courtney Adams, Wedding Coordinator

2602 Lillian Miller Parkway
Denton, Texas 76210
(940) 243-4919
(940) 387-9029 Fax

Reviewed 25 August 2009

DO NOT stay here if you are not part of a wedding. I had been hearing about this place for so long and we got a gift certificate to stay. I was super excited to try their "4 star" dinner, but was extremely let down when (only after checking in) the restaurant would be closed for a private event. The event in question was apparently a wedding, but all I could hear for 3 hours straight was club remixes and extremely loud bass (not to mention loud kids and drunks yelling up and down the halls). It completely ruined any chance of relaxing that was supposed to be involved with that weekend. The staff should have mentioned that a wedding would be taken place during our stay before we made the reservations, but they did not. If you want to relive the days of living in the dorm, with paper thin walls and extremely loud music playing all the time, then this is the place for you! I stayed here for free and I still want my money back.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank musicman781
WildwoodDenton, Manager at The Wildwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2009

Hello and thank you for staying at The Wildwood Inn. We apologize if your stay was dissatisfactory and if any information you received was misleading. We try to make every effort to let our guest know when making your reservation if our restaurant will be closed for a private event and if there could be loud music during your stay. Our restaurant is by reservation only, and we post all of our open dates on our website up to 30 days in advance so you can plan your stay accordingly. During events, the event guests are limited to where they can go, unless they have rented a room.

To readers of this response: We invite you, the guest, to provide us with the opportunity to rectify any issues you many have. It is not only possible, but probable, that when you kindly explain any problem to us, we – or any other caring hotel – will be able to make changes that will result in your satisfaction. We pride ourselves on our quiet, romantic Inn, it is very important to us that you are happy and comfortable and leave with good memories. This business is our passion.

Reviewed 1 July 2009

My wife and I went to a wedding there and it was absolutely beautiful. From the moment we stepped in, we felt so welcomed and the staff seemed so genuine. The landscaping and pool area were well appointed and made for a great surrounding for the ceremony. We then moved into the resturaunt for the reception and again enjoyed the scenery while dining on some delicous food. We live about an hour away and my wife and I can't wait to get away for the weekend to enjoy some R&R with beautiful surroundings, great food, & genuinely pleasant staff!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple