“Felt Like Home”

Ranked #2 of 2 Denton B&B and Inns
Northwestern PA
“Felt Like Home”
Reviewed 8 February 2007

This was our first trip to Texas, my daughter and myself. We needed a place to stay with location being our top priority. What a pleasant surprise to find John and Donna! Upon our arrival, Donna asked if we had any special dietary needs. We were pleased to learn she was familiar with Celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. With the sleet, snow, and ice to come (NOT what we expected), Donna instructed us how to use the fireplace in the lovely South Suite. We both love antiques, which were abundant, and my daughter was very cozy in the Murphy bed. Our breakfast was served to us (at our time request between 7-9 am) at a large table filled with other guests, engaging in conversations from where we were all from and why we were in Denton. It was a relief for my daughter not to worry about getting sick from gluten, and also a treat to try some new dishes. Being served breakfast in itself was a treat to me! We also enjoyed the best Italian dinner ever at Giuseppe's, also friendly to the gluten-free diet. If we ever find ourselves in Denton again, we will be certain to stay with John and Donna at their beautiful Heritage Inn. They made us feel at home.

• Liked — The friendly atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank NorthwesternPAFriend

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Denver City
Reviewed 20 December 2006

My husband and I were married in the gazebo last month and everything was wonderful. They took care of everything: flowers, cake, and would have even taken care of finding a minister had we not brought in our own. Room and property were beautiful as is the lovely couple who owns and operates the B&B. And we can't say enough about Giuseppe's Restaurant! It was by far the best Italian food we have ever experienced.
Kim Merritt

• Liked — They bent over backwards to insure we were happy.
  • Disliked — Thermostat was not in our room.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 6 June 2006

I was sorely disappointed that I did not get, what looked like, a wonderful hot breakfast that other patrons were served at the Heritage Inn. I recently travelled alone to Denton and made a reservation for four nights. Upon arriving, the innkeeper said she would discount my bill since I was in Denton to attend the university. I did appreciate this, but she failed to say that the discount meant I would not be served breakfast like the other patrons were served. The worst disappointment happened on the second morning when I was served a single slice of dry, plain raisin toast while the couple sitting across from me received french toast, blueberries and sausage. The same thing happened on the last morning when I received two tiny pieces of danish and was told (in front of another patron) that it was "leftover sweets from yesterday" while the woman sitting across the table from me received banana crepes and sausage.
It was also misleading because the innkeeper did indeed serve me a satisfactory hot breakfast the first morning . She even discussed specific food preferences and the time she would be serving breakfast. I was under the impression that a good breakfast would be served EACH day of the stay, that I would receive the same meal that other patrons recieved and took the inn at their word that breakfast was an important part of their business. This was obviously not the case, and I did not think the bill for well over three hundred dollars for four nights was at all fair. I have stayed in many bed and breakfast establishments all over the country and this is my worst experience.

Stayed June 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 17 April 2006

I have travelled the world, and stayed at 5 star resorts from Zurich to Waikiki Beach. My fiance and I stayed here from 4/13 to 4/16. We stayed in the Magnolia North suite which was 2 very large rooms, one with a fireplace, sitting area furnished with beautiful antiques, and wall to wall windows, and the bedroom which had a beautiful hand-carved four poster bed, more fabulous antiques, and 2 person jacuzzi in a separate bath. This is a very clean, tastefully furnished B&B. We opted for breakfast each morning in our room. Breakfast was well prepared and delicious, including their signature chocolate muffins, omlettes, waffles, and crepes. We asked for, and received, very strong coffee each morning. Our last night we had hoped to dine at Guiseppes (the Italian restaurant located on the first floor of Magnolia House), but they closed early that evening. We were very dissapointed, but the restaurant host (manager?) was very apologetic, and did allow us to purchase a wonderful bottle of cabernet which we enjoyed on our balcony. We have family in Denton, and regret not finding this treasure sooner! We will definitely be back to enjoy the Heritage Inns. Thank you John & Donna!

Stayed April 2006
2 Thank ilona06
Reviewed 23 December 2004

My wife and I have stayed at the Heritage Inn B & B every year for the past 5 or 6 years at least 1 weekend per year. I have the highest regard for the Inn. We have stayed in most of the rooms and have had a wonderful time in each. No problems at all with the jacuzzi and plenty of hot water, comfortable beds and very romantic stays. The Breakfasts have been wonderful. Donna and John have always gone out of their way to make us feel comfortable. We will continue to stay there at our annual trips to JazzFest.

I recomend the heritage inn cluster to anyone staying in Denton.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 February 2004

Whew! This was our first B&B experience, and I doubt if we'll try it again. I was attempting to plan a nice romantic weekend for our first anniversary and this B&B was across the street from the restaurant where we became engaged. The website stated they had 2-person jacuzzi tubs in the rooms and a hot tub outside. Sounded great! First, it started off with the reservation - their website said the Regency Suite was $125 on the weekend but I was quoted $145 on the phone. I was told the website was out-of-date so I agreed. When we get there, the rates in the room notebook stated $125 also! Well, I got past that - we went to dinner and were looking forward to a wonderfully relaxing evening back in the jacuzzi. Upon our return from the restaurant, we open a bottle of wine and start running water in the tub and it gets cold quick. The water doesn't even cover the jets before running cold! I thought maybe someone else in the building took a shower and it needed time to warm up. We gave it time but still cold. I call the proprietors and ask about it and they say it should be working, and spoke to me like I was a child that didn't know how to run a bath. I was even lectured about water displacement (that once I got in the tub that the water would be higher). Sorry bud, there is less than a foot of water and I'm not fat, so I was a little upset - couldn't figure out if he was insulting my intelligence, my weight or both. By this time it's 11:30pm and it's too late to go to the hot tub or do anything else. The drawback, in addition to our 'romantic' plans being ruined, was that we couldn't even wash in the tub. We spent $145 to take a sponge bath! I also discussed some special dietary requirements we had prior to coming and was assured that we would be taken care of. This includes very little sugar and no bread. The proprietor's interpretation of these requirements was serving crepes covered in peaches and a very high sugar/cinnamon mixture for breakfast. I took a few bites (though I shouldn't have) but couldn't eat it due to the sugar. I must say, it was extremely delicious, just something I couldn't eat.

The big selling point to us was the jacuzzi tub. There is no way anyone can tell me that they did not know their water heaters couldn't handle the large tub. If all we wanted was a bed to sleep in, we would have gone to the Motel 6 down the road. At least there, we would have had the option of taking a shower, at least!

Needless to say, we have decided never to risk another B&B after this experience.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Owner at Locust Street Inn, responded to this review, 30 September 2004
We responded immediately to the complaint of cold water and did everything that we could. The inn has been open for three years with the same tubs and hot water tanks without a problem or complaint. We tried to explain that they may need to give the tank time to recover. Apparently they would not do this. We received complaints from the downstairs guest that the jacuzzi tub was running at all hours of the night. We thought the problem was resolved. Had the guest expressed dissatisfaction the night morning we would have discounted the stay. However we thought that her complaint was just away to get us to lower the room rate to what she had read on the out dated directory listing.