“Loved it”

Kickapoo Lucky Eagle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Eagle Pass
“Loved it”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I read a lot of different reviews on this hotel and casino. Some were good and some not so good. We were very happy with our room. The room was large, the bed had new clean linens and the bathroom was very clean with nice amenities. We had dinner in the Sage Steakhouse. The food was excellent. The only negative was we made a reservation for 8:00. We arrived at the door at 7:50 and were told to come back in ten minutes even though they were taking walk up customers. There were at least 10 empty tables around us which were never filled so I believe we could have been seated at 7:50. The casino was very kind to us. We will definitely go back for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed 2 August 2014

There are 5-6 slot machines that constantly pay out. It is up to the customers to figure them out. My wife and I have won $8000, $4800 and $6500 the last three times we stopped by the casino. If you think you are going to hit a jackpot by only playing $20 a machine, you are clueless. It takes money to make money. I put $800 in one machine before I hit the $2500 jackpot. Most of the machines we play take anywhere from $100-$300 to start seeing decent returns. Rarely are there two machines side by side that both win. Remember that and you're half way to winning. When you win up to $300 take it out and put another $20, $50 or $100 back in. If you don't the machine will take back everything it payed you in the $300. Play cheap, win cheap.

The hotel is an awesome place to stay and sleep. The Mezquite restaurant had the best breakfast buffet that I have ever experienced. The only negative is that the majority of the staff have personalities of a wet sponge. They act like "we as customers" are infringing on their time. The only group that even smiles is the cash ticket counter staff and that probably is because they are tipped. Staff make or break a casino. Don't feel welcome and most will never come back.

Room Tip: This is not Vegas. Don't expect it to be. It is in the middle of nowhere so somethings are lacki...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Nick L
Kerrville, Texas
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed one night at the hotel the weekend prior to the 4th of July. We were very impressed by our king size room! The room was huge and extremely clean. The hotel is relatively new and rooms are decorated very tastefully. The bathroom was spacious. The bed seems a little high for short people but it was very comfortable. Don't expect to have a room with a view. We were barely in the room since most of our time was spent in the casino--which by the way has been greatly improved after their expansion and renovation! We had a pleasant and enjoyable stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ylanda C
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my dad booket a handicap room and the lady on the phone be here at 4 clock and are room was ready till 5 clock so we had to wait a hour and that was very nice when they told us be here at 4 because the. Room would be ready but it was not so we had. To wait and that was very good server to me James

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jameslparks
Brownsville, Texas
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Great room clean and friendly staff. I was given an upgrade, due to the double I requested was not available and received a king suite at the same price, which was awesome, and everyone was very helpful.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Marisol L
Alice, Texas
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the first time during the first week of July and found that the hotel was convenient to the casino. As we got into the room it did have a musty smell like trapped dirt which I had to spray away with some perfume. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows. We went downstairs to the buffet for dinner which was okay but later as we started gambling my husband started feeling stomach pains and had to go back to the room to lay down and take some pepto bismal for the terrible cramps. We were on the 5th floor so the noise level was not bad for being a casino. We did not eat breakfast because my husband didn't feel well after being awake most of the night with stomach cramps. We checked out at 11:00 a.m. and left. Two days after we had checked out I went online with our bank and realized we had an Expedia charge of $139 which I expected for our hotel stay and we had another charge the same day from the hotel casino for $129.50 but what was really odd was also another charge for $104.50 from the hotel casino but two days AFTER we had checked out. I called and spoke to management (Mario) which he stated that the $129.50 was for incidentals and it would take a few days for the bank to reimburse the funds into our account but he couldn't explain what the $104.50 was and that he had to investigate that and call me back. He had a front desk lady to call me back instead of himself and say I would get a credit on my card for $104.50 but never explained the reason for the charge. She told me that she didn't know about any reason but she was told to call me and tell me about my credit to my card. Be very cautious about this as I am aware of another person getting overcharges also on his account. I saw a lot of poor people so disappointed that their money was gone and not many machines hitting jackpots while we were there. Hotel and casino is isolated from the town.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 5th floor which was quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Andrea S
Reviewed 8 July 2014

this was our first visit here, when we arrived we found out there is another casino with the same name in Washington and we had made reservations there by mistake and this hotel was ull and they managed somehow to get us in. I was very thankful because that would have ruined everything. loved everything about this place, nice room, breakfast downstairs was great. and to top it off I actually won a lot of money :) ... I will definitely be back

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple