“Nice Stay”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elgin
Reviewed 29 September 2011

The new shower setups were nice and easy to use. Clean and good staff. Not much parking available.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Elgin-HIEX, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2016

Reviewed 14 September 2011

My husband and I came to help his family move his mom. We just wanted a place that was in the area and we were very pleased. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Room was clean with a very comfortable bed. Bathroom was clean. Room was quiet and just far enough off the road so that the traffic noise was not bothersome at all. Wifi connection was great. Breakfast was more than adequate (hot/cold eggs, bacon or sausage, many breads, pancake machine, yogurt, milk, cereal, fruit) and the breakfast area was clean and pleasant with another friendly staff person. When we were shipping a package home and needed a UPS pickup, the desk person was very helpful. All in all it was a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 October 2009

stayed in this hotel for 3days , it was a very nice and clean hotel.
Staff was very helpful and made my stay very comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 July 2009

Was in Elgin to visit a good friend and was very pleased with the hotel. Room was very clean, bed real comfortable, and breakfast was excellent. Overall, a nice place to stay and the next time I'm in town, will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 November 2008

I don't even know where to begin. When I arrived at the hotel, I noticed right away...ridiculous amounts of trash and cig butts all over the carport area. I'm not a neat freak, or one of those "Hard to please" travelers, but this was just insane.

I came to the front desk to be greeted by...no one. There was no sign saying "We're away from the desk, give us a call!" or "Back in 5 mins"...there was just nobody. I looked around and called for assistance for about 10 mins before a tired and grumpy lady finally came from THE COUCH in the lobby area! I had assumed she was a guest! So she sat there for 10 MINS listening and watching me look for assistance before she tore herself away from her late night soaps. The woman mumbled something about "Hello" without even looking at me. She thrust a piece of paper at me and said "Fill this out." The entire time I'm giving her a look like she has 10 heads. After she fiddled on her computer for a min more, she thrust my key cards on the counter then just walked away...not a goodbye, good night...nothing. Just walked back to her couch and soaps.

When I reached my room I was instantly hit with the putrid smell of stale cig smoke. I'm a smoker...but I do not smoke in my house and this smelled disgusting. And I has specifically asked for a non smoking room. I went back down to speak with the front desk clerk again and she was again missing. After I hunted her down, she told me that there were no other rooms available. When I informed her there were only about 3 cars in the parking lot, she said that there was nothing she could do. WAS NO HELP AT ALL.

So back in my smelly room. I notice the carpet seems a bit wet. I then see copper pipes propped up in the corner and hanging down from the ceiling! When I go to take a shower, there's old soap in my shower with hair from some other person all over the place. There's urine in the toilet. No shampoo or toileties. Itchy bed sheets. And to top it off...my TV is broken.

After a horrible nights sleep, I wake up for breakfast (which according to the lazy clerk was 6:30am to 10:00am) around 9:00am and am down by 9:20 or so. When I get down there, all the food is gone. I ask the breakfast attendant to get some more, and she says that breakfast ends at 9:30. I politely tell her it's only 9:22 and she say that she can't get me anymore...it's the rules.

I was reserved for 2 more nights there, but I couldn't stand it any longer. I went upstairs, grabbed my stuff and checked out that second. Only to see 3 housekeepers and another front desk clerk enjoying cereal and cinnimon rolls in the breakfast bar!!!!

I wound up at the Holiday Inn Express in Bastrop...what a difference! As much as I could rant about the Elgin location, I could rave and praise the Bastrop location! Excellent staff! Wonderful breakfast! Beautiful grounds and rooms! The list goes on!

Moral of the story...book the Holiday Inn Express in Bastrop...not Elgin...they're gross.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank thatblondechik

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel and please accept our sincerest apologies for the disturbance you have experienced during your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. We value your comments and welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 4 September 2008

Great hotel, . The rooms are NICE clean, beds are super comfy, nice breakfast in the mornings. Small fitness room and business center with a printer (although it was really slow to load). Overall a wonderful experience, great value for the money. I highly reccommend this place

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 November 2007

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Elgin TX for a night on business. All in all, a respectable location, with a few service flaws. Based on the Holiday Inn website saying that this is a "brand new" hotel, I chose it over the Bastrop location, even though it was out of my way. Though there was nothing overtly wrong with this location, but after seeing the condition of the hotel found out that it was built in 2002 - not exactly what I would call brand new! They also claim on their website that they are near downtown Austin….well not really, but I know the area well, and know better than that.(They are about 30+ miles away.) They have a great base property, and with a bit more care could make the place shine.

Overall, the hotel seems to be well kept, possibly since they appear to be going through a remodel. The lobby area is nice, and though there is only one elevator, the hotel is small enough for that elevator to accommodate the guests without a wait. It appears that the rooms have been recently updated with newer carpet and fresh paint. The hallway on the second floor reeked of mold, along with a big hole (my foot sunk 2-3" into the carpet) in the floor, but my room was just fine in that aspect. In the morning they had a pine scent in the hallway - so they must know about the mold.

As for the room, the bed was a bit worn out to where you could feel the springs, but I got a good nights sleep so no problem there. The overall cleanliness of the room left quite a bit to be desired. There
were food crumbs, peanut shells, a toothpick, and a few bugs visible on the floor. Coffee was spilled on the countertop and left, and the fridge had food remnants. The bathroom had cobwebs with bugs in several places. (Maybe it was a halloween decoration <G>)It is a shame to see a recently remodeled place not be kept in top condition by housekeeping - the owner invests funds in updating, why not ensure
its kept that way.

The shining star of the location was the young lady who was the night
clerk. Her bubbly personality on my late arrival was a nice breath of fresh air. She was prompt, efficient, friendly, and upgraded me to a suite for no additional charge. I wish all hotel clerks were professional.

The morning service leaves a bit to be desired, even in comparison to other Holiday Inn Expresses. They have some cereal, packaged Danish/muffins, cold hard boiled eggs, and the signature HI Express cinnamon rolls. They had no fruit or yogurt at all. Also, this location is the first that I have found that does not provide a morning newspaper, nor do they slide your bill under your door at night, so you have to go through checking out at the front desk. Little things, but noticed none the less.

The hotel has a small but nice pool area are out back, comfortable breakfast area, and a tiny barely adequate workout facility. (One Treadmill, elliptical, and bike - that’s it.) There are some choices for meals around, but you will find enough. In easy walking distance is a McDonalds, Mexican, Subway, Taco Bell, and a local BBQ joint.

• Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank pcsanity

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin? Share your experiences!