“Clean, comfortable & quiet”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elgin
Dallas, TX
“Clean, comfortable & quiet”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I called a few days before arrival to make reservations, so check-in was fast and easy. The front desk staff was very friendly and greeted me as I came in the door. The hotel is located just off the main road [Hwy 290], about a block from the main street into downtown, and sits behind the frontage businesses, so it was very quiet. The grounds are well-maintained and clean. My room was large with a nice large work desk, comfortable reading chair & lamp, m/w, frig, a large new flat-screen TV, and a very comfortable king bed. I really liked the choice of soft or firm pillows. The room and bath were both very clean and I also liked the adjustable shower-head in the bath. Wi-Fi was fast and free. The pool seemed a little small, but looked clean and inviting. Full breakfast in a large seating area included pancakes from an automatic pancake-maker, eggs & sausage, biscuits and gravy, cereal, pastries, and fruit. There is a recommended Mexican restaurant next door and a couple of fast-food places within walking distance. A Dollar Store and gas station nearby. In all, a very nice, quiet hotel, priced reasonably for an upper-tier chain. I understand from previous reviews that the hotel is undergoing remodeling and my only disappointment was the patched but unpainted repairs in the room -a small place on the wall, larger repairs in the closet, and sloppy caulking around the sink. None of this affected the comfortable, quiet night I had, but did not appear to be up to HI Express standards.

Room Tip: Ask about locations of smoking and non-smoking rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Elgin-HIEX, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin, responded to this review, 29 June 2016

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We have stayed at this Holiday Inn Express several times in the last year. We are always very pleased with our room and service. They were doing renovations but that did not interfere with the quality of the service nor did the paint smell. Will definetly go back again as I have a business in that area and need to stay at a hotel when I work there.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This hotel was comfortable and served the purpose for my one night stay. On the expensive side because of being the only hotel in Elgin, TX. I could tell there were lots of construction workers staying in the hotel but everything was quiet and mostly clean. I say mostly because the parking lot was muddy and messy from all the construction trucks. The room was updated, quiet, and clean. Even appointed better than the room at a recent Embassy Suites I stayed in.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This Holiday Inn Express is currently under renovations. During my visit there was work being done in the public spaces most of the day. Room was pleasant and updated, although there were still touchups needed (I was told they were making their way through the rooms to complete minor details). Parking is a problem! Returning late at night there were no parking spots left and signs specifically prohibit parking in adjacent retail parking. I ended up parking in the staff parking spot with their permission.

Complimentary breakfast was standard for Holiday Inn Express but offered plenty of choices.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear KCSunshine21,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our rooms and breakfast.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding parking arrangement. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Waxahachie, Texas
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Arrived in Elgin at this Holiday Inn Express late on a Friday night for a firearms training class the next day. Check in was very quick and the desk clerk was pleasant. The room was clean and comfortable and we had a good night's rest. Breakfast was the usual Holiday Inn Express breakfast although the bagels were a bit dried out. I will be staying here again in the future and would recommend the hotel to others staying in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Norfolk
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Although I was being attacked by crickets. The hotel staff I must say was a joy. The manager Joyce Harvey, was very kind and just gave off a great vibe. Another I must point out is the front desk clerk Samantha she was very understanding of the issue I had with the crickets and related to also being terrified of them. She moved me to a different room and asked if there was anything else I needed? I replied no and she said if you need anything else just let me know. Overall my stay was a joy. I will be returning to this location.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo

Texas
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I want to start by saying that the staff did the right thing and refunded my money but this review needs to be out there. If you are in the Elgin area...you really don't have much choice but this Holiday Inn. When we walked into our room..the first thing we noticed were bugs. They were everywhere! In the bathroom there was one in the toilet, one on the bath tub, one on the sink, one on the shelf and two on the floor.

We had spent the day at the Celtic Music Festival and were pretty tired so we just moved the dead bugs around and showered up...decided to watch some college football and relax a bit. Strike two: The TV didn't work properly. The picture was so bad you couldn't tell which team was Notre dame and which team was Michigan. I called the front desk to see if the cable was messed up in the area...she said no. I informed her that our TV wasn't working properly and she said “Try jiggling the wires”… didn’t work. She said it would be a while before she could come look at it because she had several other rooms she was “working on”. I decided to just make the best of it..watch the terrible picture and relax on the bed. A bug flew and landed on my leg. At this point I’m really not liking Holiday Inn so I pull the sheets back to get under them and there was strike 3…. Another kind of bug IN THE BED.
I call the front desk and get no answer after 20 rings so I take the elevator down and find a note stating they are away from the desk..call this number for assistance …so I called the number and Samantha answers. I tell her I need to move to another room because there are so many bugs in mine and she says that they hotel is completely booked and moving me is not possible. Now I’m stuck here…225 miles away from home in a room overrun with bugs and a broken TV. She said she would “zero out my bill” so I wouldn’t be charged. In the morning when I checked out I verified that I would not be charged and I guess that’s all they could do for me.
This hotel needs some help.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank STUNTS4FILM
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
Dear STUNTS4FILM,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. I'm very sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of the room. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Elgin hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elgin
Quality Inn Bastrop
#3 of 9 in Bastrop
South Austin
Holiday Inn Austin Airport

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin? Share your experiences!