“A real mixed bag”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Farmers Branch
Vidor, Texas
“A real mixed bag”
Reviewed 24 February 2013

The price was right. We pricelined it for $32 a night for 3 nights. The outer lobby and hallways are tired and a bit dingy. The rooms were incredibly spacious, and the beds were ok. The front desk staff were very friendly except for the woman who worked the night desk overnight. I am sure it is a hard shift to work, and she doesn't seem like she is enjoying it much.

The walls are incredibly thin, and you can hear everything going on in the next room. The first two nights of our stay were fine, but the 3rd night a man played music with a heavy beat all night long. I am not kidding. All night long. Around 11 pm, I spoke with the front desk, and she called the room and asked him to turn down the music. I know she did this because I heard him turn off the music and answer the phone. He did turn it down a bit, but it was still very loud. The base notes just pounded our room. I called again at around 12. She called the room again, and he turned it down a little more. At 1 a.m. I went to the front desk and asked to be moved to another room. She said the hotel was full. It sure didn't look like the hotel was full, but maybe it was. Anyway, she called the room yet again, and asked the man to turn his music off. When I returned to the room, the music was turned down a little more, but you could still clearly hear the base. At 4 a.m., I called her again and begged her to do something, anything, to get the man to turn the music off. It was still going at 7 a.m. I don't know what else I could have done short of knocking on his door and having a confrontation. That's just not me. I also don't know what else she could have done, but surely there must be more she could have done. Anyway, I am not looking to stay there again. The phone did not work in the room, and the air conditioner had problems as well. The bath is very narrow, but the water was very hot with a good, strong shower head. The free breakfast in the morning was coffee, some fruit, packets of oatmeal, and a cereal bar or two.

Room Tip: There is no daily room cleaning. you take your towels to the front desk to exchange.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
DFWCC, Manager at Extended Stay America - Dallas - Farmers Branch, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced in respect to the noise. To prevent this from happening again, my team is has taken steps to ensure that this will never happen again. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate your feed back. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at dfb@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Good location, near LBJ and Tollway. We got a good price through Priceline.com. Rooms are large. Everything functions but wish they have had HD cable. Internet is free but somewhat slow.
Hotel is old and you can smell cigarette smoke in the hallway even though we are in a non-smoke room. Our reservation says no breakfast. They actually serve coffee, muffin and fruit.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
DFWCC, Manager at Extended Stay America - Dallas - Farmers Branch, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I have been here for 2 weeks and will most likely be here for a total of two months. Here are my comments:
On a negative note: The overall "appearance" of the hotel is in need of a major face lift. It is outdated, worn and tired. The interior of the property from the lobby to the hallway to every private room needs to be completely redecorated. New paint, new carpeting, new furnishings, etc. However, the property is thoroughly cleaned each and every day.
On a positive note: The mattresses are brand new (hooray). The microwave and refrigerator/freezer are brand new (hooray). I was told the carpeting is in the process of being replaced as well as the bed linens. The rooms have a lot of light and breakfast is free every morning.
On a thank you note: The level of service that the general manager demands from her entire staff is outstanding (I give 5 stars). Every little complaint or request was immediately addressed and resolved with professionalism and expedience. They went out of their way to make me feel at home. It is very quiet and easy to work and be productive. I will definitely continue my stay here primarily due to the level of service I have received.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rachael T
DFWCC, Manager at Extended Stay America - Dallas - Farmers Branch, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful things about your experience. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition. Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) location
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed here for 3 months, moving from a horrible Homestead Suites that I lasted 2 nights at to this property. Overall, the price was good (I got a very low rate for staying longer) but you get what you pay for here. The rooms were not impressive. There was a certain smell that came from it, probably from all of the cooking people had done. The carpets were moldy and very dated but nothing I couldn't just ignore. The kitchen worked for my purposes (warming things up) but the pots and pans you get are limited. They have flat panel TV's that swivel, which is nice to be able to swing the TV from the living area to the bed. The living area was ok. It had a recliner and couch but they we're also very dated and the bed, while sufficient, wasn't very comfortable and the sheets were very old.
The curtains we're nasty and definitely need to be changed out. I think they may have been the source of the smell in the room. There was a guy next door who sounded like he was hacking up a lung every so often. The walls are very thin so you can hear what's going on next to you. Some of the front desk people are friendly and some are not. I had to extend for a few additional weeks and had to fight with them to keep my same rate for the extra 2 weeks, even though I had been there 3 months already. The hotel is in a decent area though and next to a set of condos and a Marriott property so I wasn't worried about safety or anything.
Overall, you get what you pay for here. Don't expect a high end property when you're paying low end prices and you'll be fine. I'm very happy to be out of this place and I probably wouldn't stay here again unless I had to, but it was better than the Homestead Suites I started at.

Room Tip: I had a 3rd floor corner room which kept me away from everything, and everybody, else.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Ray V
DFWCC, Manager at Extended Stay America - Dallas - Farmers Branch, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of the difficulties you encountered at the Studio Plus, Farmers Branch, Texas. Our company’s number one goal is excellent guest service. I am sorry that we failed to provide that to you.
I apologize for not getting to speak to you about your experience while you were a guest at my property.
No words can validate a negative experience. Please be assured of our continued commitment to deliver the quality service you expect and deserve. You are a valued guest and we appreciate your business. Again, I offer my apologies and hope you will allow us a “second chance” to exceed your expectations. It is always by the guest comments that we are able to improve and make necessary changes in our services.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 17 November 2012

This is an extended stay hotel aimed at business travelers and intended for stays of a week or more. The rooms are very spacious while the price is very low. The beds are comfortable. The place is quiet. The location is extremely convenient. The staff is friendly and helpful. The kitchen is separate from the living room and includes a four burner stove, oven, full size refrigerator and microwave. The bathroom is large and hosts a very deep tub. However, the carpet is stained. There is no dishwasher. The furnishings are old but in good shape. This is not the kind of place that would impress anyone, nor is it anything to be ashamed of. The free internet speed is capped at less than 1 MB. You can pay $15 a week for a 3Mb internet speed upgrade. The room includes a flat screen TV, but the cable channels are very limited. The workout room is tiny and has only two treadmills and a stair climber. There are coin operated washers & dryers on site. Dogs are allowed and smoking rooms are available. I intended to stay here for several months but moved out after just five days because of the Internet speed and cable TV.

Room Tip: There are a lot of dogs. If you are allergic to dogs, do not stay here. My non-smoking room was fres...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Farmers75244, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Dallas - Farmers Branch, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
"Thank you so very much for your nice review of our property. Whenever I read comments like yours, it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words."
Farmers Branch, Texas
Reviewed 8 November 2012

i've been staying at studio plus since september. the staff are very courteous and efficient. the area is very convenient. any concerns are dealt with expeditiously. there is the convenience of a gym and laundry on site. its a place of convenience away from home.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank amorelle s
DFWCC, Manager at Extended Stay America - Dallas - Farmers Branch, responded to this review, 9 November 2012
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that our staff and hotel make you feel like this is a home away from home. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Reviewed 19 August 2012

If you are looking to visit or stay at a Hotel in Dallas, you''ll want to book your reservations at Studio Plus in Farmer's Branch. It is near the Dallas Galleria and centrally located. The rooms feel more like home than a hotel and the friendly staff makes it feel as if you are staying at a luxury resort. These folks treat you like family and not just another hotel guest. It truly is Home away from Home, only a lot more fun and much more relaxing...especially with those luxurious flat screen T.V.'s! Thank you Lei, Martha and your entire staff for making our stay at Studio Plus so very enjoyable! You guys are the best!! Kenny

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Dallas - Farmers Branch, responded to this review, 20 August 2012

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other brand locations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmers Branch
Hilton Dallas Lincoln Centre
Fairfield Inn & Suites Dallas North by the Galleria
The Westin Galleria Dallas
Sheraton Dallas Hotel by the Galleria
Le Meridien Dallas by the Galleria
Dallas/Addison Marriott Quorum by the Galleria

Been to Extended Stay America - Dallas - Farmers Branch? Share your experiences!