“cockroache and mold”
Review of Sleep Inn & Suites

Sleep Inn & Suites
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Fort Stockton
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We have stayed at the Sleep Inn in Fort Stockton prior to this stay and had no issues. It was clean and staff where nice

This time was different and I can say we will never stay there again:

We arrived at 4 am on Thursday morning ( 07.10.2014) and when we checked in my partner took the key to get to the room . She came right back stating there were fans in front of our door the floor was wet and the ceiling was open. Only then (not prior to check in) did the male clerk inform us that they had a water break but everything was fine in our room. When my partner went back to the room I asked him what our option where if the room smells like mold. He told me I had none since they were booked out.

The room did smell of mold but we needed some sleep, took Benadryl and hoped for the best. My greeting committee 4 hr. later in the bathtub was a huge cockroach……….. And mold at the top of the shower stall.
I went to the front desk explaining about the water and the cockroach. I was told
the front desk person had no authority to anything and the manger was not available
and water bugs (definitely cockroaches) are just a way of life here it just happens We come from the Southwest and that response is unacceptable.

We left very unhappy with the lack of customer services, I had advised the hotel for the manager to call me on Saturday please. No body called me , I called the hotel and found the manager was not in , so I called choice hotel customer relation and filed a complaint. They told me the manager had 72 hr. to reply back to me.

On 07.14.2014 I received a phone call from the manager.
I was informed that the night clerk had told her he offered us a choice, that sorry there were sold out and there were no other options since every hotel was sold out in town that night also.( so what was the supposed choice to be then …?) The day shift person did not mention a cockroach to her and she saw no mold or smelled anything in the room. (untrue since we took picture of the mold)But she apologized for the inconvenienced.

I again told her the whole story, I did not t get the impression she took me seriously and felt more rushed to get me off the phone, and she offer me 25 percent discount on our already paid hotel room.
When I asked if it might be better to give the front desk person more authority to resolve issue right then and not have it drawn out she said that that person had no authority but did not elaborate if anyone one else did.

I called back to choice hotel guest relation to inform them how the manager had handled the phone call. When they tried calling to speak to her she was also not available.

Finally I do not expect cockroaches and mold in a $120 plus a night hotel, I expect good customer services and resolving of issue right away.

I called back to Choice Customer Relation and was told they would speak to the manager, who was not available on that day and I would get a call back today. As of this point I have not heard back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Fort Stockton is a runned down, hole in the wall town. If I knew the town was like this, I would have kept driving, but the next places are far. That said, Sleep Inn was pretty good given the local economy and the town.

My room, the second I walked in, I smelled mold coming from the AC. It was too much hassle to ask for another room so I stayed anyway. My towels were all damp before I used them, dunno why. The remote to the TV was so worn that none of the buttons had any writing on it. The fridge was noisy. The shower was very weak.

Redeeming points? Comfy beds. Fridge and microwave. The only part of my stay I liked was the free breakfast which had cheese omelets and your standard breakfast items. It made up for otherwise a bad stay. Keep in mind, I blame the town, not the establishment at all.

Fort Stockton is horrible. The local restaurants and business are all old with barely anyone inside and if there were people, they looked sketchy. Most businesses looked closed and tons of buildings were boarded up.

So if you must stay in this hellhole of a town, stay at the sleep inn for breakfast. Hopefully you get in late to not see any of the town.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed one night at this property on our way to Fredericksburg. It was very easy access off the I10 and is a fairly new Hotel. We were met by very friendly staff who gave us all the information we needed to explore Fort Stockton and where the best places were to eat. The rooms were large and comfortable and had everything we needed. There was a "bedroom" area and a seperate "sitting" area which we found good as it made a change of lying on the bed watching TV. The breakfast was excellent - a lot of choice hot & cold which set us for our long journey ahead of us. The Historical District of Fort Stockton was great and good that such a small town is keeping it's history alive. We would wish to thank the staff for a pleasant stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed one night at this property on a business trip. It required two rooms which was placed on a credit card. Upon checking out we notice we were charged $12 per room more than we were quoted. After disputing this with the clerk we were told to take it up with the GM, but of course she wasn't in that day. But NOW after reviewing my recent charges on my credit card it showed AN ADDITIONAL $100 PER ROOM CHARGE. Of course I immediately called the hotel and the clerk said, "housekeeping found a dog hair in one of the rooms and there was a $100 fine per room for this infraction". I have called and called for this GM and they WILL NOT return my calls. We had no pets with us but yet they found "a hair" which cost me $200. In my opinion, THIS IS A SCAM. Now I'm watching for anything else that may "pop up" on my card. There's a wonderful Candlewood Suites in this town we normally stay in but they were booked. All I can say is be careful with Sleep Inn in Ft. Stockton, TX. Wow!! What ever happened to good ole' American ran hotels?

Room Tip: If you HAVE TO stay there pay cash. DON'T give them your credit card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank charterdevelopment
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Title says it all. Nice people, standard breakfast. Would rate 5 out of 5 if it was $20 less a night.
Need a car in Fort Stockton, the bowling alley next to the freeway is very fun, with beer, and quite a few video games

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Appeared to be fairly new. Staff was professional and friendly. Room was one of the best we have stayed at on this trip. Breakfast was the standard fair, OK. Work out room was good. Would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Fort Stockton is the only real place to stop between El Paso & San Antonio if you are trying to make good driving time from New Mexico. This is a very nice hotel with all the amenities you expect in a larger city. GREAT breakfast & easy access to I -10.

Room Tip: Be sure to take AARP or AAA for discounts
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo