“Good rooms - creepy ice room”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Budget Inn

Budget Inn
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Fort Stockton
San Jose Area, CA
“Good rooms - creepy ice room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

My kids and I stopped here one night on our way to Florida. I reserved a room via another hotel discount site so we stayed here for a budget price.

This hotel is on the eastern reaches of the Ft Stockton downtown area. If you're coming from the west and get off at the first Ft Stockton exit, you will keep driving and driving and driving and driving....you'll drive so far you'll probably wonder "Did I miss it?" Nope - just keep going!

Pulling up, your first thought will probably be "outdated", "50's", and "ew" but let me tell you - the rooms were pretty nice! The non-smoking two-queen room we were placed in was very clean with fresh paint and new furniture. The bathroom, though tiny, was updated and very clean. The beds were average but what do you want for a budget-level motel?

If there was one complaint about the room is that the walls are a bit thin. I could hear the murmurs of my neighbors pillow talk for a good hour but it was nothing a little music on the ipod didn't fix.

One thing that crept me out was the room that the ice machine is stored in. It's more of a utility hallway with a door stuck between two room (right next to the washer and dryer, if you're looking for it). It's very dark, very noisy and very creepy. Every time I went in there to fill my ice bucket, I couldn't help but wonder when the ace murderer was going to come out and get me.

The owners, a sweet Indian family, live on site and are on call all night long. They were cooking dinner when we arrived and it smelled so good, I almost climbed over the counter and joined them!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank AnnieDe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I swear, I've stayed at so many places named Budget Inn over the years, it's become a bit of joke, if not a testament to what a cheapskate I am. This place certainly fits the bill. It was mostly fine, a clean, decent room at a fair price. What I didn't like so much were the thin walls. People in rooms on both sides of me, and I felt as if I could hear every word they were saying, even though they were speaking in reasonable tones. On one side was a couple having an earnest conversation late into the night. On the other side, was a family that was up early running their mouths. In between, I got little sleep. In the end, that's the deal breaker that should keep you away.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank unclecofie
New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

If I could rate this business a zero I would. Not only is it dirty, as the first room had hair on the pillow, sheets unchanged with dirt still on them. At this point we would have left, but it was late and everyone was very tired. Asked for another room, slightly better, but kids were already creeped out. Room was extremely cold and the floors in bathroom were like ice. Even though they knew how many in our family there was not enough shampoo, towels, for us. Went to office and got extra towels but they smelled like curry. Needed to even get our own tiolet paper as there was no back up in room. Though they were renovating and the room was done there were strange stains on the carpet and cover, sheets were see through. Keep driving. No rate card in rooms...isn't that illegal? Poor in every category.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, dirty and service is nonexistant.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank nmcqueen75

Travellers are raving about these Fort Stockton hotels

Scottsdale, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Dirty - feel they took advantage of the bad weather and inflated the room rate. We ended up paying $100.00 for double occupancy, 1 queen bed. We would have been better off sleeping in the truck. We made reservation at the Ramada in Van Horn but due to the weather the occupants from the night before didn't leave and there were no vacancy's in Van Horn so we had to travel another 100+ miles to Fort Stockton where the only rooms available were at the Budget Inn - Bummer. But the rest of the trip was wonderful!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CTHulme
League City, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

NS Double was clean and adequate; but nothing special. Rate was OK @ $55.37 with tax. There was no coffee or Continental breakfast. That was a surprise; but there was a Whataburger close by to make up for it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Fort Stockton, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

Where to start! Stranded hundred of miles away from home. I walked in soaking wet with my grandson in one arm and luggage that we could carry in the other after leaving my car across the street at the car shop. The Indian older gentleman behind the counter could see I was a bit stressed. He suggested pizza hut & even dialed the # for me from the office. When they wouldn't deliver he offered for his daughter in law to take us to pick something up. As we walked over to our room to leave our belongings, I noticed an open door that led to their family room with the aroma of their native dinner and the smile of the gentlemans wife, I felt safe & thankful to of gotten a room here. The daughter in law took us to McDonalds because that's where my grandson wanted to go. She even stopped at the repair shop so I could pick up my grandsons extra set of boots since the shoes he was wearing were soaking wet. With it still pouring rain, she droped us right in front of our room. As my grandson runs around in his underware while his clothe dry the room is clean including the carpet. The towels & sheets are very clean and the room is warm & very clean smelling. Plenty of plugins for my grandsons iPad and DVD player. I'm writing this on the night of our visit & went into the Inns web site to write this review. I was thankful to find that this gentleman had charged me $20 below the regular price for the night. I will make it a point to stay here as a choice next time were traveling through. Many Thanks to this family.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Stillwater, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

Budget Inn does not pretend to be Wyndham. My crew stayed two nights and found the rooms to be simple, but clean and serviceable. The beds were quite comfortable and we did not hear any street or other nuisance noises at night.

As other reviews indicate, the motel is old and has not been updated. But then, we would never have gotten rooms at that price if it had been. You get a lot of room for very little money. The owner's English is not perfect, but he was perfectly helpful with restaurant suggestions and directions to other things.

It might be worth your while to actually check the room before committing. The rooms there are not all the same. Some rooms we had were nearly half again as large as others, all at the same price.

Room Tip: Rooms in the SE corner were larger than rooms ni the SW corner.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends