“Below Average Residence Inn”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Fort Worth/medical Center
Ranked #80 of 114 Hotels in Fort Worth
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I've stayed in a number of Residence Inns, and they seem to fall into two distinct categories: Updated and comfortable or shabby and depressing. I'm afraid this property falls into the latter category.

The property is laid out in a sort of bungalow style arrangement, which actually was pleasant if you don't have a problem with a motel-style external entrance to each room. Groups of four rooms made up each little building. Nearby is a small body of water that had hiking/running trails running by it, though I didn't get the chance to explore that area.

I didn't interact with the staff very much, but when I did they were pleasant and helpful.

It's located near a very busy road, so there is some road noise for the units closest to the road (which my room was) though I should say I didn't hear anything when I was inside the unit. My room had a small porch that overlooked the lake/pond/park area.

While this property does have some things going for it, I just couldn't get past the obvious fact that it had been a long time since it'd had a proper facelift. The appliances in the rooms could very well have been from the late 80s and the beds were of low quality. The decks were starting to rot and the metal fasteners were rusting. Nothing was broken, and everything was clean. However the overall vibe was that this was a "cheap" hotel. However, when I stayed there at least it wasn't inexpensive, making it a bad value.

The workout facilities were not bad if you just wanted cardio. There was one elliptical and two treadmills, all up-to-date and functional. The workout room is small, and the air freshener was so strong in there that I had to prop the door open to get some fresh air in there. But for my needs it was perfectly acceptable.

If you were on a budget and the rates were very good I could see recommending this property simply as a low-cost option. But compared to other properties at the same price point I can't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank PromoRoadGuy

Reviewed 19 October 2012

This hotel is in a great location if you are visiting the TCU, botanical garden, zoo, or Colonial Country Club area of Fort Worth. While the hotel is older and resembles an apartment complex more than a hotel, it is exceptionally clean and well kept. I had an upstairs room at the back of the property overlooking the river and a green space - very scenic and quiet. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. As in most Residence Inns, the happy hour and breakfast are hard to beat. I would recommend this hotel to anyone planning a visit to Fort Worth.

Room Tip: A room further away from University wil be quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Nice clean , roomy , had a nice view of the river. Staff was excellent and caring!!! Loved the complimentary happy hour with food and beer and wine was not expecting that!! Would highly recommend to anyone passing thru. Laundry facilities were clean and a must have for traveling across the country.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We checked in late at night and were quickly and cheerfully sent to our rooms. Our rooms were clean and quiet. We had requested a downstairs room, so we didn't have a view, but that was fine. The bed was wonderful and the thermostat kept us comfortable with112 degree temps outside. There is a Kroger down the street and we enjoyed making a grocery run and using the kitchen instead of eating out. However there are ample choices in the area for eating out. We went to the Kimbell Art Museum for Sunday brunch which was delightful. It is less than a mile from the hotel and lovely.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed at the Residence Inn (University Drive) in Ft. Worth for almost 2 months. The staff were always helpful and personable. The cleaning services were spot on. The nearby facilities were generally delightful including the 20 mile jogging path that ran along the river; it was 20 feet from my window.

In many ways it reminded of the East River Drive in Philadelphia.

This Residence Inn is about 2 miles from the botanical gardens, museums, and high-end stores.
If you want reservations, give yourself considerable lead time as they are often full.

Ft. Worth really exceeded my expectations.

Room Tip: Ask the desk staff. They will help you.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MJ J
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Great location especially if you're a runner or taking in the cultural side of Ft. Worth. The WoodShed, a bbq joint and coffee bar with abt 20beers on tap, is a few mins walk and right on the Trinity River. The rooms at this place though are old, dark and oddly laid out. The beds are not especially comfortable. It's convenient to TCU. I would likely not stay here again unless I was told to.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2012

This is not the most elegant Residence Inn you will find- the building is older and yes, a little dark, but there are plenty of amenities: a nice workout facility, lovely pool, a great cafe/bar that was always bustling when I was there, and direct access to the river. It is also just a few minutes walk from great shopping and restaurants, and is quite close to TCU. The biggest problem with the hotel was noise from the railroad. It didn't bother me too much, but my husband had trouble sleeping. The trains are noisy. The staff was pleasant and the facilities clean.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Travellers also viewed these Fort Worth hotels
Cultural District
Residence Inn by Marriott Fort Worth Cultural District

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Fort Worth/medical Center? Share your experiences!