“It's fantastic; amazing building; accomodations superior”

Courtyard Fort Worth Downtown/Blackstone
Ranked #33 of 110 Hotels in Fort Worth
Hurst, Texas
“It's fantastic; amazing building; accomodations superior”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I’ve had a long love affair with this old building since we stayed there under the Blackstone brand back in 1978. It wasn’t but about three years after that stay that someone came along and put up the pretty plywood windows, which would adorn it for the next 17 years. Downtown Fort Worth has hit bottom, and returned to life since then, and in that period the city suffered from defective arsonists. If you believe that abandoned buildings get burned down, which I do, this one magically escaped until a plan to heal it could be found.

It opened in 1999 after a lengthy rehab. The city contributed a significant amount toward it’s rebirth, and a joint venture involving Mariott and the City of Fort Worth led to an agreement attractive enough to Mariott to come in and renovate it. Sadly, years of use and updating didn’t leave much of it’s historic interior intact to restore, but the rest of it had escaped the horrific updating of the 60’s and 70’s so many other buildings suffered. Today, it looks much like it always has, and due to it’s terra cotta skin, and for anyone to have changed it would be a tall order, which never happened.

The calling card that draws me to it is the existence of four suites that have terraces which open out onto the roof. You can step out on the 16th and 18th floors onto a terrace with lawn furniture and a safety railing to prevent anyone from jumping off. The building’s stair step top leaves it the most interesting piece of architecture of it’s size in this city. It a miracle we still have it, and the building itself is amazing.

I live in the city, thus I don’t rent rooms there. But, I’ve been all over it visiting guests and escorting family down there. The rooms are exactly what one would expect from Courtyard, and there’s nothing about the insides of the guest rooms leading one to a conclusion that it’s old. The bathroom and lavatories are all new materials, and spotless clean. I sat on the beds and found them to be in great shape, as were the drapes, towels, and accessories we expect to find. Working downtown I used to lunch in the bakery downstairs very often, and it’s good. There’s a pool on top of the garage, and it’s an oasis of peacefulness surrounded by city. I used to take my lunch up there and eat it in lieu of their dining room.

They are proud of this place, but surrounding properties lead us to find out it’s competitive. There’s a valet only garage which is a bit pricey, and I don’t know what’s available for self park. I’m still recommending this inn for 13 years now to those who would see value in it. It’s everything you expect from Marriott, and worthy of recognition from it’s amazing past.

Room Tip: Up at the top has some strange floor plans and amazing views. If you can afford suites, the ones the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Arnold_Ziffel
Lindsey W, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard Fort Worth Downtown/Blackstone, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
I'm so glad to hear that you've had such a great experience with us! The history behind the building is certainly fascinating and we try to blend that with outstanding service. If there's ever anything that we can do to help please let me know. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stayed two nights for a business trip. The room had everything I needed to be comfortable and was very quiet. The hotel staff are very helpful and friendly. The little market inside the hotel was a bonus since I forgot my contact lens solution. Highly recommend this hotel when staying in downtown Fort Worth.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
I'm so glad to hear that you had a relaxing stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Fort Worth soon. If there's ever anything we can do to help please let me know.
Elmendorf, Texas
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This was a very nice hotel in downtown Fort Worth. This hotel is in a Beautiful historic building that was very nice. The room was very clean and lay out good for the size of the room. The room was a little small but since we had a big window it was fine. We were on the 9 floor didn't hear much of the street noise but again this hotel is downtown and you will always have some urban noise I was very surprised that the room was quiet. They have put sound proof glass over the old windows that help with the noise. The hotel does have a pool area that was nice also had a nice Courtyard area to sit on the third floor. The staff was nice and help you with what ever you need. The hotel is walking distance to almost anything downtown. There a free trolly that runs downtown they stop right by the hotel. Would stay here again. Since we were staying on the weekend we park in a free parking garage about two short blocks from the hotel.

Room Tip: rooms on the higher floor are more quiet and have a better view of the city skyline.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank freedumusa
I'm so glad to hear that you had a nice stay with us. The building has such an amazing story and we've tried to do a lot to ensure it still meets the needs of our travelers while maintaining the history. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. If there's anything that we can do to help please let me know.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Beautiful hotel with all amenities as advertised. Beautiful historic building with updated & spotless rooms.
Biggest plus of this hotel was it's staff who were all extremely welcoming, going above and beyond to recommend activities, give directions, and help out.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
I'm glad to hear that you had such a great stay with us. We certainly try to provide exceptional service to every guest every time. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. If there's anything we can do to help please let me know.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I often take weekend trips to Fort Worth. We love that town and staying downtown is awesome. Downtown is clean, safe, friendly, and fun. We've stayed at other hotels, the Omni for example, but we keep going back to the Blackstone. This hotel is old (almost 100 years). The rooms are clean, updated, and quiet. The hotel staff always have smiles on their faces (especially Jean at the front desk). The hotel is located in the middle of downtown so there's no need to drive anywhere. There are restaurants, bars, and shopping within walking distance. If you want to go to the Stockyards, there's the Molly Trolley that will take you there for free. Otherwise, it's a 5-10 minute taxi ride.

We love this hotel. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
I'm glad to hear that we are one of your favorite hotels in downtown Fort Worth and that you and your wife stay with us frequently on the weekends. We do our best to take care of our guests everytime they stay with us. We look forward to having you back soon. If there's anything we can do to help please let me know.
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Efficient and friendly check in. Received a corner room, which was a nice change from the standard hotel room box. Clean room. Ok views... Its Ft. Worth. We were on the 12th floor and could still hear street nose below. Visited the hotel's bar. Try the TX brand whiskey. Good location downtown. Very easy to walk to everything. Parking via valet was easy and if you call ahead your car will be ready. I could see the issues with waiting for your car of you didn't call ahead. Skip Jakes restaurant across the street.

• Stayed October 2013
I'm glad to hear that you had a great stay with us. We do our best to take care of every guest every time and the valet team works hard to make sure our guests don't have to wait if at all possible. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. If there's anything we can do to help please let me know.
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I love old buildings with character, so that and the location were what initially drew me to this hotel. It stands out among all the others in Downtown Fort Worth while maintaining a lovely modern interior. You really couldn't beat the location and walking to most of the restaurants and bars was a breeze.

The staff was very nice and easy to deal with. Overall a great stay.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lndrama
I'm so glad to hear that you had a lovely stay with us. The building has such an awesome story and we certainly try to match that with great service to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. If there's anything we can do to help please let me know.