“better than expected”

Ranked #48 of 111 Hotels in Fort Worth
Benton, Arkansas
“better than expected”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

After reading some of the reviews I had some reservations about staying here, but had little choice since this was a host hotel for an event in town. This is a Marriott property on the budget end of the chain. There is no restaurant or bar attached to the hotel. The lobby is small but nice. There is a small pool which was in good shape. The rooms appeared to have been updated in the past year or so. The carpet and furniture were clean and up to date. Beds were comfortable. The rooms are more of the mini suite type. One long room with small living area separated from the bedroom by a half wall. The breakfast was much better than most with scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy and most of your cereals and fresh fruit. If you are staying close to the Cultural District this is probably as nice as any. I agree with some of the other reviewers in that the staff was wonderful and made for a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main entry side will have less highway noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank terry j

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Wichita, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Every employee we encountered was friendly, helpful, and very capable at their job. The breakfast had a decent spread including eggs, sausage, and waffles, along with fruit, yogurt, cereal, pastries, coffee, milk and juice. Two mornings we needed to leave before the posted breakfast time and we were still able to grab drinks (including fresh coffee) and fruit and a few pastries. Our rooms were clean and functional with lots of space to spread out and relax. I didn't notice a musty or moldy smell at all as a previous reviewer noted, and didn't think the hotel looked old or run down. The lobby and breakfast area was actually quite nice. Note that I am not stating that this is a posh, super fancy hotel, but for the price point, it is great. While we didn't have a chance to enjoy it, the outdoor pool/hottub area was small but looked nice and inviting. Plenty of free parking was available in their covered garage. Their small convenience shop in the lobby was nice for a few last minute needs. I was impressed that they still provided some free toiletries at the front desk (razor and shaving cream) when they could have easily just sold them in the store at a premium,

We stayed in conjunction with the Cowtown Marathon and the hotel had some nice free extras that weekend including protein bars and water, early breakfast, and a race shuttle. It was a nice touch.

There is some pretty major construction in the area, but we were able to easily come and go from the hotel and had no trouble navigating through it.

Room Tip: We ended up facing the highway. There was a bit of road noise, even with the heavy drapes closed...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here before and it was a good location since we need to be close to TCU, unfortunately this time I was very disappointed. I am traveling with my kids and I reserved two rooms, I called a few weeks ago letting them know that I needed the two rooms next to each other and they said " that is no problem, I will make a note on your reservation " , I arrived today and found out the rooms are Not next to each other and the only response to my complain was: " I am sorry, that is all we can give you for the moment". I find that to be a poor response coming from a , what I thought was, serious hotel chain like Marriott. If I would have been told that my request was not possible due to high demand I would have made my decision if I wanted to book here anyway or not. I was told ok, I trusted and then they did not care if they act accordingly to their word or not. So sad to see what has become of Marriott.

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank NGuardia73
micah w, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fort Worth University, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thank you for your review. I appreciate receiving feedback from our guests so that we can continue improving our hotel and service. I apologize that we were unable to accommodate your request for rooms next to each other. I am taking this opportunity to retrain our staff in handling special requests, particularly on high demand weekends. Regardless, I understand that this does not change the negative experience you had with us. If you do return to Fort Worth, we would love the opportunity to host you again and I will personally ensure that any special requests are met. Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to further discuss this or if I can be of assistance to you with any future reservations. Sincerely, Micah Willis
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I stayed a couple of months ago, and it was for work purposes. The gentleman who checked me in was a great example of great customer service. I know the hotel staff was going through a housekeeping supervisor change and understand how some things can be left forgotten; however, if I was gven a chance to stay there free in the future, I wouldn't commit to it. Upon walking into the room, there was an ackwardly placed couch and laptop bench, seemed alright...I always book a two bed type room when staying in a hotel in case of housekeeping issues. Both of my beds not only had pubic hair in them but also looked well slept in. I only know what it looks like because I have been in housekeeping before. I slept in the pull out sofa instead of a nice comfy bed that night....a little frustrating...The tub had a stained clear curtain and tub itself was dirty and smelled of mildew...I refused to take a shower in...that should be checked daily and dryed off as often as it is used...Stepped on a sticker(may not have been housekeepings fault), Microwave was filthy before I even used it. It's sad for a property that is under 10 years old, to look like it was thirty years old because of lack of cleaniness. I did not complain to anyone, but I didn't have a terrific stay because of these issues...

Room Tip: Try to stay away from hwy side, it kept me up half the night.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
micah w, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fort Worth University, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. We appreciate all types of reviews because it allows us the opportunity to continually improve the quality of each guests stay. I’m very sorry that your stay was unsatisfactory. I can assure you that this was an isolated incident and I want to you to know that this is not the norm at our establishment, as a Marriott property our standards are much higher. I will be personally following up with our housekeeping department to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Once again, thank you for your feedback! If we are not made aware of any problems, we cannot address them. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this further. Best Regards, Micah Willis
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

As a frequent traveler, I've stayed in happier places! The staff is great, the rooms were clean, but even with what looks like a retro fit, it still felt old, moldy and depressed. There is a definite "old" smell right when you walk in. The carpet was dark and smelled. My room was dark and just didn't feel welcoming.

Construction in the area is insane, but that its not the hotels fault, just a warning, allow yourself time to get here.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We've stayed at the SpringHill Suites several times while visiting family nearby, so when our most recent trip came, there was no question where to stay. The rooms are always clean and large, and the beds big and comfy. The staff have always been friendly and helpful. It's not a luxury property, but we always know it will be clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: All the same, as far as I can tell. Rooms facing the parking garage and not the freeway might be qu...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Courtknee2
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My Husband and I were in town for a Masquerade Ball. Once we entered this hotel we were pleasantly greeted by Shawnty (who is a beautiful prego woman) Valentina. They took care of us as if they were waiting on us all night. I was so please wth how chatty and fun they were at 11:30 pm. LOL It seemed like that interaction just made the rest of our weekend very light and upbeat. It really means alot to be welcomed anywhere and I'm thankful that Shawnty and Valentina did just that.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family