“New Owner since about March 1, 2013”
Review of Bavarian Bakery & Cafe - CLOSED

Bavarian Bakery & Cafe
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: German, European
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Fort Worth, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“New Owner since about March 1, 2013”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The owners are new, I was told this by the gentleman owner 3/31 when I purchased a carrot cake I returned today (frozen), less one piece we disected which had a thick layer of neon pink frosting & 2 thick layers of butter cream and very little cake. Newly married I took my Hubby there in February, I had gone there since nursing school in the early 2000's, he loved the food and the carrot cake. We both decided this was the best and our new 'Carrot Cake Spot." So, 3/31 I purchased a whole cake for our home freezer. The same day we cut it open and he asked, "What's the pink stuff?" As an educational point, and hopefully to make a bad cake a better experience I saved it in the freezer and today made a point to stop by, and maybe get $25 back. I demonstrated the cake to the woman owner who continued to raise her voice to me. Calmly and firmly I debated the point.. I almost got sick when she said she could not resell the cake I had my fingers in demonstrating the yukky frosting to her. She was hard to understand, but many times I heard, "I am French", well all I could think of is that is where perfume began as a cover of unhygienic practices due to lack of plumbing..."That's Unhygienic! I can't believe you would resell food that has been out of the restaurant!" I told her. Disgusting, but glad to leave THIS place behind. I consider my $25 charity. I wish I had a pic, left it there in the trash.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank MaryF433

Springtown, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Heads up Foodies, something has changed here”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Our first warning that something was amiss was the Want Ad looking for waitresses to hire. The second warning that something had changed was the phone ringing continuously with nobody answering. The third sign that something was wrong was all the people standing waiting about for their food. I didn't recognize the guy at the register and after waiting to order for a long time, we just left. Another patron acknowledged as we went out of the door that the place had gone downhill.

My guess, either new owners or new management (or both).

Takes off hat and takes a moment to mourn the loss of one of my favorite lunch spots.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Kim B
Fort Worth, Texas
“Spur of the Moment visit”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We have driven past this restaurant for many years. It is in a plain-looking strip mall. We ate there last night to celebrate my husband's birthday. I read some of the other reviews before I started writing mine. I didn't see any of the previous complaints about poor wait staff. We came early in the evening so there was no-rush on getting us to leave. Our dinners came with a side salad. My daughter wanted more salad because she like the dressing so much. My daughter ordered a hamburger off of the children's menu but the waitress came back and said the burger wasn't available and suggested the chicken strips. The waitress said they were really good. My daughter heartily agrees. I thought the warm rolls were great, even if they weren't 'German' (according to another reviewer) and there was butter in the basket. There were 5 people in our party. I think my favorite dish at the table was my husbands Munich Cutlet with horseradish breading. My son's breaded chicken breast was good as well. Everyone sampled my potato soup and enjoyed helping me finish it. I was impressed with the interior of the restaurant. I never imagined from looking at the plain-strip-center appearance on the outside that the restaurant was so fun on the inside. It was fun to watch the huge clock go off at 7:00. Our neighbor goes there often just to get some lunch. We finally tried the restaurant upon his recommendations. We will be going back.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank arhoags
Zofingen, Switzerland
“A secret place, but worth checking out”
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Amazingly authentic Bavarian Food, congratulations! Prices are very reasonable and interior is quite ok. This place is a bit hidden but for sure worth the search...

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank A W
Arlington, Texas, United States
“Uninspired”
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I am German, the atmosphere is Bavarian only in the sense that the decor is Bavarian, the enormous cuckoo clock, and the music. As far as hospitality is concerned, not a chance. I had the Jaegerschnitzel with spaetzle (noodles). The schnitzel was good, not enough gravy on the meat, spaetzle were okay but not great. Dinner rolls are not served in Germany with your dinner, you usually get some German dark bread with butter (had to go to the counter to ask for the butter), dinner roll was stale. Wife had some homefries which looked good but had absolutely no flavor. Nobody came out to check to see if we needed anything, to see how the dinner was. Pretty poor hospitality in my opinion. Bought a loaf of rye bread, not authentic German I can assure you.

• Visited October 2012