“Not Fancy but a Good Place to Stay”
Review of Dietzel Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fredericksburg
Dietzel Motel
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Dallas
“Not Fancy but a Good Place to Stay”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I was tempted to give it a 4 because of a refund. It is clean, friendly, safe and rooms are of decent size. The outdoor pool is kept clean all year though this was not the time of year to swim. Price is probably about right for Fredericksburg. The parking lot is gravel with some deep spots near the rooms. A buddy and I were on a motorcycle trip to hill country to ride what is known as The Three Sisters (Ranch Roads 335, 336, 337) plus visit other places nearby. This was a good hub. The gravel parking lot required a bit of caution with our cruisers. Now as for the refund. We originally reserved it for 3 nights with a 48 hour notice to cancel. After the second night we decided to return home as the weather was going back to winter with probable wintery mix on the way. The owner gave us a refund for the third night without questions. We actually did not expect it. I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank leroys73

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My husband and I came up from San Antonio for a bicycling event and I have to admit when I first saw the place I was not impressed. But, the office gal was friendly, the rooms were clean and fresh and had everything we needed - a fridge, comfy beds, clean bathrooms. We had a super night's sleep and I awoke fresh to ride my 42 miles in the Fredericksburg Frolic. I would stay here again just to keep the money local. Nice folk and a fair deal. Esp. liked having the chairs and swing in the lawn outside. On a full moon night, it went over just right to sit out there drinking our champagne.

P.S. For authentic, tasty German food, I would NOT recommend the restaurant next door. Less than satisfactory.

Room Tip: Room 109 was great! Quiet and close to the ice and soda machines.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CarolAnnAnderson
Vidor, Texas
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We were 3 couples on motorcycles. My husband and I got room #110. It was unbelievably clean. The tiles in the bathroom were that 70's green but not one inch of the grout was discolored or molded. Great water pressure. I'm telling you this room was really clean. The bed was soft enough. It wasn't fancy but we knew that before we got there. It was quiet and the young man at the desk was very nice. We went out to sit in the gazebo to chat and watch the traffic. No mosquitoes and it was nice and cool. We enjoyed our stay. We had a recliner, microwave, and mini fridge. Another couple with us said their recliner was in bad shape but not a deal breaker. We stayed 2 nights and paid $201.14. We will stay here again. My husband just wished they had asphalt for bikers. LOL Not a big deal.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PiratePride5
texas
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This has become my usual stop when traveling from east to west Texas. It is clean, comfortable and unpretentious. I have stayed here more than one night while exploring Fredericksburg and find that the difference in price between this and a fancier chain or cute B&B gives me more money for a special meal or something from the shops. I would not recommend it for a romantic weekend or as a place to hang out and pretend to be living in Fredericksburg for a few day but it is a great place to fall over at the end of a day of driving or hiking around either in or out of town. Located at the west end of town it is still close enough to walk to a lot of shops and restaurants and allows one to head west in the morning without passing through town.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank coeurclair
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 29 September 2013

When I made reservations I specifically asked for 2 rooms separated by as much distance as possible, I told the reservation clerk that I DID NOT want adjoining rooms, because he did offer them to me. I also said I wanted at least one of the rooms to have a refrigerator. When I checked in for my 2 night stay, of course I was given the adjoining rooms, when I said I had specifically requested separation I was told, they were full and it was basically take it or leave it. Once in the rooms we discovered neither room had a refrigerator, nor a micro, or worst yet, coffee maker! Coffee was served in the office at 7am. Really?? What about most of us "older kids" that get up early?? Hopping into bed later that night, I think I woke up the dead with how creaky and loud the bed was, but nothing was as bad as what I found the next morning.....the shower!! It literally dribbled out of the shower head. I do admit there was hot water just not enough to wash a body off with. After my lengthy shower, because it did take quite awhile to get my hair rinsed, I did go to the front desk to complain about the shower head. I was told by the gentleman who checked me in, who was apparently one of the owners, told me that he couldn't do anything because he would have turn the water off. So, no apology, no offer to reduce the rate, nothing. When I checked out the next morning I dropped the keys off with him and really expected an apology and a thank you, but got neither. I do have to say it was fairly clean and maintained, however when you can't shower it makes for an un-pleasant stay. My suggestion pay the extra $20 and stay at one of the chains. This room was not worth $100 (tax included).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank QuadJB
Saint Jo, Texas, United States
Reviewed 20 September 2013

These folks do a great job re-creating the classic 60's and 70's Motor Court experience. Clean and easy going. Wi fi was lacking, but hey we didn't have wifi (or know what it was) in 1972. Great value as long as you are looking for basic clean and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Patrick W
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I've grown up on Austin my whole life and spent numerous weekends in Fredericksburg and most of the overnight trips at B&Bs. But when they require a min 2 night stay and you are just looking for a quick getaway and dinner at the Hill Top Cafe, this is the place to go! I'd known this little motel all my life as we passed by it on our way through Fburg and staying there was just something I'd always wanted to do! A bonus was that they let me bring my small dog. We will repeat our weekend soon and will definitely return to the Dietzel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple