“Improvements and disappointments” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Executive Downtown San Antonio Segway Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Formerly the Nimitz Museum, the complex is now America's only museum centered on World War II's Pacific campaign. Since 1968, the Museum has expanded to occupy a six-acre campus and gained a reputation as one of the premier military museums in the nation. Over the years the Museum was upgraded and enlarged, and the campus grew to accommodate the Memorial Courtyard, the Plaza of Presidents and the Japanese Garden of Peace. We opened the expanded George H. W. Bush Gallery in 2009. The Gallery's state-of-the-art 33,000 square foot exhibition features 40 media installations, approximately 900 artifacts in 97 climate-controlled cases, 15 macro-artifacts, and hundreds of photographs. Two blocks east of the main campus is the Pacific Combat Zone for guided tours of macro-artifacts and regularly scheduled combat re-enactments.
Houston, Texas
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Improvements and disappointments”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

The Museum has come a long way since I was involved in the Living History program several years ago. The museum has modernized and completely revamped their displays. There is new life in the same old artifacts that I had grown to know and love. There are a lot of new items on display since my last visit. There are so many more displays and the museum had expanded so much that we had been there all day and didn't realize it. With your ticket, you can also get a free audio wand to use for an audible description of the area you are in. As far as the disappointments, I miss the interactive Doolittle Raider, the Japanese Carrier deck under the Midget Sub with the view of Hawaii, and interactive "Willie and Joe" in Guadalcanal. Those are my personal preferences and those who did not get to experience them are not missing out on the overall experience. On the plus side, great care was taken to record, both visually and audibly, the stories of the people, Soldier, Civilian, Axis, and Allied, who lived through the war in the Pacific. Throughout the museum, you can hear the voices telling their experience while looking at photos or video of the event. With the purchase of a ticket, you have 48 hour access, during operating hours of course.

Although I brought my toddler, I would not recommend the museum for small children. There are disturbing images throughout the museum and small children may disturb the experience. Although everyone was nice , I found myself getting very irritated at my own young son because he did not understand that some of the very people who are visiting the museum are some of the same ones who lived through the events that are depicted in every room of the building. They deserve the respect and peace to honor, relive, or mourn their memories.The museum's motto is "Inspiring our youth while honoring our heroes". They are child friendly, but I personally feel that the child must be able to understand the reason the museum exists might just be the old guy in the wheelchair next to them.

Visited August 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Texas
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“Do not miss this museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

If you are the lease bit interested in WWII in the Pacific theater you must visit this museum. The museum starts with the earliest steps that built up to the war to the bombing of Pearl Harbor, all through the numerous island campaigns, to the surrender. Many of the big battles are described in detain on interactive tables, all of the artifacts are true to the time and there are outdoor exhibits. A block away from the museum is an area called the Pacific Combat Zone where there are more things to see and at designated time during the year there are live enactments that bring to life the struggles of war.

Visited August 2014
Corpus Christi, Texas
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Why Shop When You Can Learn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

What a great way to visually learn about the Pacific theatre of WWII. Spend three hours one day and then return the next day for another three hours on the same ticket! We ran out of time and will return to Fredericksburg soon so we can see all that we missed - and shop and eat, of course! This museum is one of the best war museums you'll see.

San Antonio, Texas
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I took our 8-year old son who is obsessed with the history of WWII. My grandfather also served in WWII and was in Okinawa so it was extremely interesting seeing the display on the Battle of Okinawa. We didn't get to see the combat experience, but we will go back for that. You get two days of admission with your tickets so if you have the time, take the advantage of it and use it. The museum is beautifully done. Very well laid out with a lot of history of the relationship between China and Japan and what led up to the start of this war. They have amazing artifacts including one of the 5 Japanese min-subs that were captured after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. They had airplanes, tanks, interactive exhibits and more. The walls outside the museum are very well done, and we were even able to ask about my grandfather's ship and they were able to tell us where the plaque on the wall was located. We were very impressed, and we will definitely be back. We had a great day there.

Visited July 2014
Clarkdale, Arizona
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Great History Lesson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

What a great display. My father served in WWII, so this struck home for me. You get two days for the price of admission and you need to use both days. Make sure to allow the time or you will be disappointed. The artifacts and layouts are realistic and well-done. There is a B-25 Mitchell Bomber (among others) indoors. There is a PT Boat in a setting that looks like you are at a dock. I love the submarine at the entrance....won't spoil it....go see it. Whatever interests you about WWII, this is the place to learn. It is even more than that. The timeline of wars is amazing to read...as you go through the halls. I learned about how much our armed forces did for us during that war in all of the islands. It lays out the islands and battles individually and will move you.
Pearl Harbor is a must see in your lifetime, but this is right in Texas....set in a really neat town...Fredricksburg. Home of Admiral Nimitz and some of the reason for the influence on this site. Save your appetite for this town....and don't forget to stop in Lukenback, Texas while you are in the area.....Everyone is someone in Lukenback..
I would go back to this museum and spend another two days.....nice big parking lot, good for RV's....free.
Enjoy!!